Fast Refried Beans
  Re: (...)
In the Cuisine Grilling issue (favorite summer menus) with the Best-Ever BBQ chicken on the cover, there is a recipe for a side dish. On page 43, the fast refried beans recipe calls for a can of pinto beans. The recipe does not state if the beans are to be drained and used, added not drained, or rinsed and then used. Has anyone made this recipe? Thanks.
  Re: Fast Refried Beans by momjanous (In the Cuisine Grill...)
I guess I don't have that issue - is it the Grilling #4 that just came out recently?

Anyway, I would hazard a guess (and the way I have always made them) is yes, drain and add back as needed as they are mashed - here is the method I use -

"
Put the beans in a bowl and coarsely mash with a wooden spoon or potato masher. (You can also use a food processor, but be careful not to process too finely, you want just coarsely ground)

Heat the lard in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add the onions, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, or until onions begin to brown.

Add the beans to the onion and mix together. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until thick and creamy. If the beans are too dry, add a little of the reserved bean liquid (or chicken stock to keep the sodium level lower) at a time to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

CJ’s tip: (1)For a smokier flavor imitating the use of bacon grease, I’ve learned from Steven Raichlen to add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke to the beans. A tasty addition. Liquid smoke can be found in most supermarkets.

(2) For a spicier refried bean, add a couple shakes of hot sauce as you mix the beans and onion together."

---

and you can just adjust the method to the recipe you are using. The reason I've always drained them, is to be able to rinse them in a colander and get rid of some of the horrendous amount of sodium in canned vegetables.

Hope that helps.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com