Some Goodies from the Farmers Markets
  Re: (...)
I was able to get to two farmers markets last weekend - Portland (PSU) and Vancouver's, both were so much fun. I can't believe the friendly vendors and they all want to be included in 'the book'

Tasted 7 or 8 pates and picked up a pkg. of the Chicken Liver Pate (with Pistachios) that we have been working on every day since. With cornichons, it is just delicious!
http://chopbutchery.com/

We also found some baby leeks and baby turnips and I played with the appetizer we had at Ken's Artisan Pizza place - almost have it ready to post. It's delicious.

I still have to play with the Apple Chutney to try in a Chicken salad. and Thai Style Marionberry Cooking "Elixir"

Already played with the morels, but have shiitakes yet to do something with.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Some Goodies from the Farmers Markets by cjs (I was able to get to...)
Sounds so good, Jean. I'm excited about this market book too!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Some Goodies from the Farmers Markets by farnfam (Sounds so good, Jean...)
Oh I just adore baby veggies. They are so tender and flavorful!
  Re: Re: Some Goodies from the Farmers Markets by DFen911 (Oh I just adore baby...)
GRACIOUS! Why don't I have markets like that around here?!?!?!?!?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Quote:

Tasted 7 or 8 pates and picked up a pkg

i haven't had a decent pate since we were in Montreal. One of the Farmer's Markets has a store selling only pates and terrines. You can watch them making them on site. Looking forward to the book, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Some Goodies from the Farmers Markets by DFen911 (Oh I just adore baby...)
Quote:

Oh I just adore baby veggies. They are so tender and flavorful!

Haha, Denise, for some reason my mind pictured Fat Ba$tard from Austin Powers. Yeah,baby.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
I had a list of things to make sure to get or at least look for on Granville Island a few days ago when I was in Vancouver and forgot once I got there. One of them was a jar of green peppercorns in brine for the pate recipe I have.
I could have gone back there later in the day but was experiencing back pain so couldn't muster up the energy to walk there again. Bet I could have gotten it in the new Whole Foods there [used to be "Capers"] that I was in too but found the cheese section instead.

I did see dried morels in a blister pack but they were $12 for about 7 morels and apparently I didn't want them that bad.

Funny with the talk of pate and the reason that even got me started thinking about making them again was a girlfriend of mine bought me one in Toronto. It was quite delicious but I found one odd flavor in there that I couldn't put my finger on. Decided that I was going to seek out what that flavor was and make sure I leave it out when I made mine. It was a sweetish flavor but with a bite and left an unpleasant flavor on the outsides of the tongue. Like juniper berry can leave a bite. Maybe it was an odd alcohol I'm not familiar with. I like pate straight up normal flavor. Truffle is good and champagne too and like cracked pepper, but odd spices don't need to murck it up.
All the talk of Canada makes me wonder if its popular there.
  Re: Re: Some Goodies from the Farmers Markets by Gourmet_Mom (GRACIOUS! Why don't...)
Quote:

GRACIOUS! Why don't I have markets like that around here?!?!?!?!?

Ditto! I sure wish we did. I love hearing about it though.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Some Goodies from the Farmers Markets by WannaBeTVChef (I had a list of thin...)
'WannaBe,' I remember you were going to make pate a while back, did you ever make it and find the flavor you were looking for? The fellow at the Chop Butchery & Charuterie booth told me 'some' of the ingredients in this one (the Chicken Liver that I bought) - chicken liver, butter, pistachios, sundried currants, brandy, onion, kosher salt and "spices."

We made it in school a couple of times, but it sure wasn't as flavorful as this one was. Hope you let us know when/if you get one you like and share what you use.

Wanted to add - not for Bill's benefit, because I think he is known for saying "....liver will never pass these lips!" - we tried a couple (three) wines with the pate and cornichons and two were excellent. Both from Costco. Chateau St. Michele's Sauv. Blanc and Twisted Old Vine Zin (2008) Super!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com