OT: ATM problems
  Re: (...)
Yesterday morning, I tried to get money out of an ATM for my rent. The machine said it couldn't dispense that amount. Thinking it was over the machine's per-transaction limit (since some machines here had different limits from others), I tried again with a lower amount. The machine accepted that, and I could hear it counting a lot of bills (as though it had run out of larger bills and had to use smaller ones). The machine never dispensed the money, but just put up a message saying it couldn't complete the transaction. When I tried on two other machines, they said I didn't have sufficient funds to cover the requested amount (even when I tried smaller amounts).

When I got home, I went on line and checked my balance, and it had gone down from what had been more than enough (when I had checked in the morning before heading out) down to only 66 cents!

I called my bank, and they are starting the dispute process, but they said it may take up to ten business days before everything is fixed. Well, I don't HAVE ten business days: the rent is due Friday!

I haven't spoken to my landlord about it, yet, since I'm waiting to see what happens this morning: MAYBE the ATM's daily reconciliation will straighten it out. If not, I'll call him to let him know ahead of time what has happened.

So, for now, I'll be eating strictly what's left in the fridge and freezer and working on things, at home, for which I already have the materials.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: OT: ATM problems by labradors (Yesterday morning, I...)
That so stinks! Freakin' technology! Good luck, hopefully your landlord will understand.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT: ATM problems by Harborwitch (That so stinks! Fre...)
That's just awful! I hope the bank gets things straightened out quickly and that your landlord is understanding.
  Re: Re: OT: ATM problems by Harborwitch (That so stinks! Fre...)
Oh Man! I can't believe it! Good luck with it all. I hope it works out for you. AND SOON!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: OT: ATM problems by esgunn (Oh Man! I can't be...)
Rob could you get a written statement from the bank so you can at least show your landlord that there was a problem and they are working on it?
  Re: Re: OT: ATM problems by DFen911 (Rob could you get a ...)
Thanks, everyone.

Denise.the written note is what I am awaiting right now. This landlord has been very nice, and will probably understand, but I don't want to push it, so the note could help.
  Re: Re: OT: ATM problems by labradors (Thanks, everyone.[br...)
Oh geez, and this is the new place, isn't it? So, the landlord doesn't really know for sure that you're not a scammer....good luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT: ATM problems by cjs (Oh geez, and this is...)
Labs - hope it works out for you...

In the time before ATMs, I had a $5 check clear as $500, which overdrew my account by a bunch. My rent check bounced and the landlord's office manager told me I would have to pay my rent in cash in the office henceforth. So I asked the banker to call the landlord for me to explain it was the bank's error. The landlord gave her a hard time, too, but eventually agreed to give me one more chance! Only lived in that place one year...

Hope you have a better experience.
  Re: Re: OT: ATM problems by HomeCulinarian (Labs - hope it works...)
Hurray! Just got a call from my bank, and they have already issued a provisional credit. Of course, "provisional" means that it's not completely resolved, yet, but at least it will allow me to get my rent money. In fact, I've already checked my account, on line, and the credit is already there, so I'll be able to go out right now to get what I need!
  Re: Re: OT: ATM problems by labradors (Hurray! Just got a ...)
Labs, that is what I hoped they would do. I worked for a bank for 35 years, and even years ago, we were able to tell within 24 hours whether the cash had been dispensed, and even what denomninations. Glad they gave you the credit, even if it is provisional.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.