Fresh Carrots
  Re: (...)
So a co-worker, Thank You Jim, has his garden going. He took an area and sprinkled some carrots seeds. So yesterday he comes to me and asks if I would like some carrots because they are coming up like weeds. Well when he said it would translate to WWWEEEEEDSS!!! The largest one was about 2 inches long and about as wide as my pinky finger.

I said of course and so this morning he went out and picked weeds.

[Image: P1020779.jpg]

I was thrilled. So lopped the tops off and blanched them. They were then shocked in ice water and removed to drain on a paper towel. Into a pan with butter some salt and pepper.

[Image: P1020785.jpg]

After a couple of minutes we had a side dish I could not stop eating. There is NOTHING better than fresh home grown veggies.

[Image: P1020788.jpg]
  Re: Fresh Carrots by DFen911 (So a co-worker, Than...)
Those look amazing! I'd love a co-worker like Jim .
  Re: Fresh Carrots by DFen911 (So a co-worker, Than...)
Your carrots are beautiful. I'm drooling.

I miss farmers' markets - we used to be able to get beautiful baby carrots. Not sure if we'll get a garden in this year - maybe some tomatoes in pots and some herbs. Crud!

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fresh Carrots by Harborwitch (Your carrots are bea...)
That's for darn sure - nothing better than fresh picked veggies. This will be a long summer with just a couple tomatoes and herbs planted...

Looks wonderful, Denise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh Carrots by cjs (That's for darn sure...)
Goodness, that looks so good! Years ago, we had a little garden and planted carrots and radishes for fun...kind of an educational experience for the kids. Fresh baby carrots are like eating candy!

We've got potatoes and corn going for now. I've decided to try the tomatoes in pots at the house this year and see if they do better. I've got 6 going now along with herbs and lettuce on the deck. I'll stagger those 6 with about 6 more in a couple of weeks. When William saw the price of peppers at the store a while back, he decided we definitely need to do those again this year, also.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fresh Carrots by Gourmet_Mom (Goodness, that looks...)
OMG!! They look awesome!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Fresh Carrots by cjs (That's for darn sure...)
I think that's about all we'll get in this year. Things are so up in the air I have no idea. We've been talking about Aerogardens - herbs are pretty much unheard of here - I'll bring back seeds or starts (if I can).
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Fresh Carrots by Harborwitch ( I think that's abou...)
Looks great, Denise. Makes we wish we had a bigger garden. I grew Parisienne carrots one yesr, they were little round balls. Tasted great.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Fresh Carrots by Lorraine (Looks great, Denise....)
A local restaurant cooks their carrots with butter, sugar and honey. The carrots are so good!!!!