Heidi's Birthday Menu
  Re: (...)
Sorry it has taken me so long to post this. It's been hectic around here. I searched and could not find that this has been reviewed. Hope it meets with specs.

Dinner review will be Monday, May 3rd.

Chipotle Shrimp Soup with Fried Corn Cakes on page 77 of Weeknight Menus from 2006.

I don't have Heidi's permisson to edit this yet, but hopefully she's in agreement to have all together.

Chipotle Shrimp & Corn Chowder with Fried Corn Cakes
[Email]C@H[/Email] Weeknight Menus
Makes 5 1/2 cups

Sauté:
2 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced

Add:
1 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 tsp. minced garlic

Stir in:
2 T. all-purpose flour

Deglaze with:
1/4 cup sherry

Stir in; Simmer:
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 1/2 cups red potatoes, diced
1 cup whole milk
2 T. canned chipotles in adobo sauce, diced
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme

Add:
1/2 lb. medium shrimp peeled, deveined, sliced in half lengthwise
1/2 cup heavy cream

Sauté bacon until crisp in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions, celery, and garlic and sauté 3 to4 minutes.
Stir in flour; cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with sherry, stirring to scrape up the bits on the bottom of the pot.
Stir in broth, corn, potatoes, milk, chipotles, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.

Add shrimp to soup along with the cream. Simmer 5 minutes to cook shrimp. Serve with Fried Corn Cakes

----
Fried Corn Cakes – makes 8 cakes

Stir together:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/4 cups boiling water
Vegetable oil for frying

Stir together cornmeal, salt, and boiling water.
Heat 2 T. oil in the bottom of a skillet until hot.
Drop by spoonfuls, flatten slightly, and fry both sides.
Add more oil as needed.

[Email]C@H[/Email] note: fry cakes a few at a time until golden brown on both sides.

For dessert, I would like to post my own, and I hope someone tries it.

Italian Creme Custard

2 cups half and half
5 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
4 oz. ripe red raspberries
Topping:
1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp. vanilla
Brown sugar

1. In a small saucepan, scald half and half over medium/low heat until just bubbly, then remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, in mixing bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whisk until combined. Add a small amount of the hot half and half to temper the eggs. Continue adding the rest of the half and half slowly to the sugar and egg mixture until it is all combined.
3. Line a large rectangular baking pan or roasting pan with a damp dish towel. Place six ramekins (6 oz.) in the baking pan. Place 4 to 6 raspberries in the bottom of each ramekin. Pour custard mixture evenly into the ramekins over the raspberries.
4. Add hot water to the baking dish to come about halfway up the outside of the ramekins to create a water bath. Bake custards in a 325° oven until a knife inserted in the center of the custards comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
5. Remove custards from water bath and cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate.
6. Mix together cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla.
7. Top chilled custards with cheese topping and refrigerate again.
8. When ready to serve, sprinkle each ramekin with a bit of brown sugar and microwave for about 40 seconds until the custard is warm. Garnish with more fresh berries, almond slivers, or mint leaves.

You can use sweetened mascarpone cheese for this recipe instead of the cream cheese if you prefer. You can also brulee the brown sugar if you prefer that as well, but I really like the custard warmed in this recipe.

Edited to fix fractions that did not copy and paste correctly.
  Re: Heidi's Birthday Menu by Vanquisher (Sorry it has taken m...)
Sounds like a fun B'day Dinner!! So, the review date will be Monday, May 3rd - sound o.k.???

"You can also brulee the brown sugar if you prefer that as well, but I really like the custard warmed in this recipe." Darn it, that is what I first thought of (bruleeing - a word? - when I was reading the instructions, but you like the custard warmed...hmmmm, maybe do both? )

Just looked and the soup looks great. I'm looking forward to this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Heidi's Birthday Menu by cjs (Sounds like a fun B'...)
Sounds great! I'm looking forward to it!
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
I'm a soupaholic so I'll definitely be doing this one.
Shannon
I don't have Weeknight Menus--would someone post the recipe? Thanks.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Heidi's Birthday Menu by Old Bay (I don't have Weeknig...)
If no one does it before, I'll try to do it this afternoon, Bill. I think its right up yours and Jane's alley.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Heidi's Birthday Menu by cjs (If no one does it be...)
Oh doesn't that look yummy! I'll try to get this one in, but will make no promises.

Right now, I'm just trying to hold onto my sanity. Discipline at school is getting the better of me. Today, I had a child so out of control, I sent him to the office. Since ISS (In School Suspension) was closed for the day, they were holding him in the office. When he got so disruptive in the office, bothering office workers and being rude to parents, visitors, and board members, the principal sent him back to class.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Heidi's Birthday Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Oh doesn't that look...)
Oh, now that's an educational solution!! Should have had his a$$ sent home! (I'd never make it as a teacher, that's for sure.)

I'll type up the recipe and add it to Heidi's origial post, if that's o.k., Heidi, so it's all together.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Heidi's Birthday Menu by cjs (Oh, now that's an ed...)
That's fine with me. Thank you!
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Heidi's Birthday Menu by Vanquisher (That's fine with me....)
"So, the review date will be Monday, May 1st "

Ummmm, Jean, don't get cross with me, but I am pretty sure that May 1st is a Saturday, so do you mean the 3rd? I only noticed because I am travelling on the first of May. But maybe it's just my east coast calendar and not Mad Hatter Calendar you suscribe to
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!