Sharon - Kroll's Diner
  Re: (...)
I love their website. I keep looking at their website and plan to go there when/if we make a trip through there. The Knoephla soup is of particular interest as this is the soup my hubby's grandma used to make. He likens it to spaetzle in a thick chicken soup. I'm going to have to make this for him. Did you try it?

Quote:

Knoephla, also spelled knephla (pronounced /ˈnɛflə/ in English), is a type of dumpling, commonly used in soups. The word is related to the modern German dialect word Knöpfle, meaning little knob/button. Traditional knoephla soup is a thick chicken and potato soup, almost to the point of being a stew. It is particularly common in the U.S. states of Minnesota, South Dakota, and North Dakota, where there was significant settlement of German emigrants from the Russian Empire.

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Sharon - Kroll's Diner by luvnit (I love their website...)
Laura we are knoephla soup nuts!!! I have several recipes for it - in fact I've got a bag of it in the freezer.

So, maybe you'll be driving through Fargo on your way here?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sharon - Kroll's Diner by Harborwitch (Laura we are knoephl...)
Well, driving to Fargo on our way to ???, who knows. But I always try to plan trips around interesting food destinations. Kroll's is on our 'map' right now, so we'll see if choose to go some where or 'camp' this summer. But it is intriguing.

Do you have a fav for knoephla soup recipe? I'd love to make it. Of course we do NOT have a recipe. Brad's grandma did not have one. The 'greats' never have a *#%&@ recipe.

But I did assume, if we plan a trip to Kroll's, we would let you and Bob know. It would be nice to meet you both if possible. We'd still LOVE to meet with you two ANY time.

It's funny, because even my hubby loves this forum and he's never really on here. Kinda nice that he has the same respect for the foodies on here. There just must be something in the ingredients, lots of real nice people here.
Laura
  Re: Re: Sharon - Kroll's Diner by luvnit (Well, driving to Far...)
"Well, driving to Fargo on our way to ???, who knows." - Well hell, I know where 'on your way to' is.... Washington!! Port Angeles to be exact!! We have some good food in this state also!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sharon - Kroll's Diner by luvnit (Well, driving to Far...)
Laura I posted a recipe when we first got here that I like. But for the life of me I can't find it.

This is another recipe that is frequently used.

Knoepfle Soup

2 14 oz cans chicken broth
3 cups water
3 - 4 potatoes, diced small
1 carrot, diced small
1 stalk celery, diced small
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup instant potato flakes
1 - 2 cups cream or half & half.

In a large kett, combine chicken broth, water, potatoes, carrots, celery, and cream of chicken soup. Cook until vegetables are soft. Add knoephla and heat til just boiling. Add potato flakes and stir until it thickens. Add as much cream as you like.

Knoephla Dough

2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1/8 tsp baking powder
cold water to make a firm dough.

In a bowl mix flour, salt, egg and baking powder. Add enough water to make a stiff dough. Cut into small pieces and drop into boiling water. Cook until soft. Drain and add to soup.

I first learned about knoephla (buttons) a long long time ago from our farm mate's mother. She would cook the knoephla while she was browning together diced potatoes, onions, and sauerkraut. When the knoephla were done she would add them to the skillet and get them nice and brown with the potaotes and kraut. I used to be able to eat of ton of this. Loved it. She would never tell me how she made the "buttons", always said "oh, just some flour and water". It's a good thing that not all the old Russian German women felt that way!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sharon - Kroll's Diner by Harborwitch (Laura I posted a rec...)
Gotta make this for my German...it'll blow his socks off!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sharon - Kroll's Diner by cjs ("Well, driving to Fa...)
Quote:

"Well, driving to Fargo on our way to ???, who knows." - Well hell, I know where 'on your way to' is.... Washington!! Port Angeles to be exact!! We have some good food in this state also!

It wouldn't take much convincing for hubby to agree to that! He'd be packed and ready to go if I mentioned it.
Laura