It's too late now, but I will ask anyway...
  Re: (...)
Well, it's too late now but I will ask you all anyway. I am just having second thoughts. I just made my Tandoori Chicken and the recipe called for Whole Milk Yogurt or Greek Yogurt.

While grocery shopping the other day, I made the call to NOT buy this yogurt because I had extra sour cream and sour cream is a sub for Greek yogurt. So I decided to use that instead. Now (that it's in the oven) I am having second thoughts.

It is a thick schmear that goes onto the chicken and it just doesn't look the same.

Would you have made the same call? or am I in for disaster?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by luvnit (Well, it's too late ...)
I think I would have strained the yogurt you had on hand to get rid of excess liquid.

OOps, just saw you didn't even use yogurt - well, sour cream maybe I would have whisk in some flour to give it more texture???? hmmm, not sure, Laura. Anxious to hear how it came out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by cjs (I think I would have...)
Well, it's cookin' now so I will report.
Laura
  Re: Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by luvnit (Well, it's cookin' n...)
Greek yogurt can sub for sour cream - neatly because it doesn't separate under high heat. On the other hand sour cream is a good sub in cold foods, but not in cooked ones.

Like Jean, I'd have added some flour to bind it.

We've only found one store here (Walmart!) that carries Greek yogurt - but I found a recipe that uses a crockpot on warm to make it so I'll solve that problem.

Let us know how it comes out - I love tandoori chicken and should make it soon.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by Harborwitch (Greek yogurt can sub...)
I don't have a clue either. I'll be looking at what you come up with, also. I hope it works!

Sharon, I'd like to know what you come up with when you make your own Greek yogurt. Baby Girl has fallen in love with the stuff! She said she gets a good deal on the kind with fruit at Sam's...she'd dieting. I had her try straining regular using a coffee filter, but she said there is WAY too much difference in the flavor.

I'm thinking I may have to try this Tandoori Chicken...Laura, would you post the recipe?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by Harborwitch (Greek yogurt can sub...)
Well shoot. This stuff is gonna go on the grill soon. Perhaps I should skip that step and just let it oven cook?
Laura
  Re: Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by luvnit (Well shoot. This stu...)
Not sure if it will work, but I would have made the same substitution.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by Lorraine (Not sure if it will ...)
Okay, it's in the oven now. The next step is grilling, should I skip that? I will just keep it in the oven cooking. I think it will taste fine, but not have the charred benefits.
Laura
  Re: Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by luvnit (Okay, it's in the ov...)
We're all waiting for the results, Laura!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: It's too late now, but I will ask anyway... by cjs (We're all waiting fo...)
We love Greek yogurt and it's the only kind I buy lately. The local stores carry Oikos and Fage brands. I think Dannon has also come out with a Greek style yogurt recently, but I haven't tried it yet.

So, Laura - how did it turn out?