Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions
  Re: (...)
Hello All,

I would like to know what recipes you've made with a pork roast or loin that you really enjoyed. I've made the one with peach, peach, and more peach, and that was pretty good.

It's a dinner I'd like to make for my MIL, so it can't be anything spicy or asian-flavored.

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by BarbaraS (Hello All,[br][br]I ...)
Barbara, here's a real old recipe that we still love - it has a few shakes of tabasco, which can be reduced, but it really isn't spicy even with the 4 shakes - and this is wonderful with baked potatoes with goop over the top.

* Exported from MasterCook *

OVEN BARBECUED PORK ROAST
a Chef's Journey recipe

3 -5 lb. loin of pork roast
1 can tomato soup
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
4 drops tabasco sauce

Roast the loin of pork, uncovered in a 325 F. oven for 45 minutes.

While the pork is roasting, combine the sauce ingredients and after the 45 minutes spoon over the roast making sure the sauce goes between the partial slices.

Continue roasting, spooning the sauce over the meat two or three times until the pork reaches 145 F. or another 45-55 minutes.

Finish slicing through the roast for individual portions and spoon sauce over each slice.

Description:
"Cut partially through the loin roast between the ribs to allow the sauce to cover as much of the roast as possible. Baked potatoes go very well with this dish, spooning some of the sauce over the potatoes."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Can't remember when I made this one, it's a [Email]C@H[/Email] recipe, I think. Edited to add: I just went to the link http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...;vc=1#Post34339 and I haven't made the following one, but it just sounded so good when Linda posted it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

ROASTED PORK LOIN WITH CHERRY STUFFING AND CHERRY PAN GRAVY

1 boneless pork loin -- approximately 2-1/2 pounds, butterflied
1 cup dried cherries -- chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped green onions (including white and green part)
1 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme plus additional for top of roast
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups dried bread cubes
1 egg -- slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1. In a small bowl, combine dried cherries and wine and allow cherries to marinate while gathering the remaining ingredients.

2. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.

3. Add the onions and celery and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

4. Remove from heat.

5. Add 1/2 cup marinated cherries without the liquid, parsley, thyme and allspice to the onion mixture. Mix well.

6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool.

7. When mixture is cool, add bread cubes and egg to onion mixture.

8. If stuffing appears dry, moisten with a little chicken broth or water.

9. On a flat board, lay out the pork loin, fat side down.

10. Spread stuffing evenly over pork loin

11. Roll up carefully and tie with butcher's twine.

12. Season surface of pork with salt and pepper and thyme to taste.

13. Place the pork loin, fat side down, in a roasting pan.

14. Roast in a 425 degree preheated oven for 10 minutes.

15. Turn over at 10 minutes and roast for 10 more on other side.

16. Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees and roast for 1 hour 15 minutes, or, until an internal temperature of 165 degrees is reached.

17. Transfer roast to a carving board and allow to sit for 15 minutes prior to carving.

18. While waiting, prepare the pan gravy. Add 1 cup chicken broth to the remaining marinated cherries.

19. Pour cherry mixture into roasting pan.

20. Bring to a boil, stirring, to loosen pan drippings.

21. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth for a slurry.

22. Add the slurry to pan, stirring constantly until gravy returns to a boil and thickens.

23. Cook for 2 minutes.

24. Serve over sliced pork loin.

S(Internet Address):
"http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34339&page=0&vc=1#Post34339"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by cjs (Barbara, here's a re...)
Wow Jean, that second one sounds great with the cherries!! Something she would never have in the assisted facilities place she's in right now. And I think C@H has a few picture demos on how to butterfly roasts.

Her other son will be coming down in a couple weeks and I told Hubby it would be nice to get MOM up here to have a sit down dinner with her sons. Heck, she lost her only daughter 13 years ago and another son unexpectedly last August, so it should be a special night.

Thanks so much!!

Okay, I still have to look at the other link you posted, but I think this one recipe is gonna be the "Sheets and Googles"* to do!

Barbara

*Long story, don't you just hate when foreigners screw up American phrases?!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by BarbaraS (Wow Jean, that secon...)
Hands-down favourite: Lechón Asado (Cuban Roast Pork).
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by labradors (Hands-down favourite...)
Rob, I copied this one when you posted it in January - and you are right - it is terrific!
  Re: Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by (Rob, I copied this o...)
My kids' favorite is an Italian Sausage Stuffed Loin Roast. I picked this idea up on a lark at "the other site", but it works and is very yummy! All you do is take your sharpening steel (wiped clean of course) and ram it through your pork loin. After you get it in there, wiggle it around some, then remove. THEN, take a couple of Italian sausages and stuff them in the space you have created. It will seem impossible at first, but once you get it going, it's pretty easy. Grill or roast with salt and pepper...or add some Italian seasonings...until done.

This reminds me, I haven't done this in a very long time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by Gourmet_Mom (My kids' favorite is...)

HI I have a recipe for a pork loin stuffed with a Dried Tomato Pesto

If your interested I'll post.

Jeans recipe with the dried cherries looks fabulous also

Good luck with your dinner.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by mjkcooking ([br]HI I have a rec...)
Thanks Labs for the recipe, but my MIL doesn't do garlic. In fact, the first time my hubby had fresh garlic was when he met me. Plus, she's on a drug that gives her the runs and garlic will worsen that situation.

I'm thinking about doing that cherry stuffed pork loin from Jean. How would one go about butterflying a pork tenderloin? I looked in the C@H recipe index, but couldn't come up with anything.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by BarbaraS (Thanks Labs for the ...)
Quote:

Thanks Labs for the recipe, but my MIL doesn't do garlic.

Pity. Can't help you, then, since my usual way of roasting pork, until I discovered Lechón Asado, was to plug it with lots of whole garlic cloves.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pork Roast/Loin Recipe Suggestions by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh Barbara, it is so hard to write the instructions for butterflying without pictures....but, here's a link to a video showing how to butterfly a pork chop

http://www.ehow.com/video_2339546_butter...-loin.html

it's basically the same with a loin roast, but just cut thru to about the thickness of half the loin, so it will be level after opening it. does that make sense?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com