Slush Drinks
  Re: (...)
I am sure a lot of you will remember 'Slush Drinks' from long ago. I love them. They are so easy and fun to have around for company.

I am bringing one up for Easter weekend and thought you all might enjoy it too.

Brandy or Bourbon Slush
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 1/2c. water
1 (6 oz.) can frozen lemonade, undiluted
1 (12 oz.) can frozen orange juice, undiluted
1 1/2 c. bourbon or brandy
2 c. water
4 tea bags
Lemon-lime drink or gingerale

Heat 3 1/2 cups of water and sugar. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is disolved. Let cool. Add in a gallon container, juice concentrate and cooled sugar water, mix together. Boil 2 cups water and add tea bags. Steep 5 minutes let cool. Pour into juice mixture. Chill in fridge; then add brandy or bourbon; While freezing, stir every hour or two to keep alcohol blended. Serve partially thawed. Put a scoop or two into a glass and add with 7-up or gingerale for a refreshing drink.

If you have a favorite slush drink, please add it. I'd love to have a couple of these convenient crowd pleasers in the freezer for company this summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is one of my favorites too:

Rhubarb Slush

2 qts. rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
3 cups sugar
2 qts. water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1-2 cups vodka (to your taste or completely optional)
1 pkg. strawberry gelatin 3 oz.

Combine rhubarb, sugar, water and lemon juice in a non-aluminum kettle. Bring to a boil and boil for 10-15 minutes until rhubarb is tender. Pour mixture through a sieve discarding solids. Whisk gelatin into the strained juice. If adding Vodka, add it now. Mix together and free in plastic container (ice cream container works well).

To serve, spoon scoops of frozen mixture into tall tumblers and fill with 7-up, Sprite or club soda. Or your choice of carbonated beverage. Makes 1/2 gallon.

Re: Slush Drinks by luvnit (I am sure a lot of y...)
Oh thank you, Laura - this sounds right up our alley for Sunday!! And this is one that isn't in your book.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Slush Drinks by cjs (Oh thank you, Laura ...)
This is one I got from a neighbor. It's my favorite.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Slush Drinks by luvnit (This is one I got fr...)
This sounds really good but I don't like bourbon. Would it work with rum or vodka?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Slush Drinks by Mare749 (This sounds really g...)
I have a good slush drink that you can add your own alcohol to after the fact, so whichever one you like, and it's good for kiddos too. I'll post it later.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Slush Drinks by Vanquisher (I have a good slush ...)
Sounds good to me. Wonder if I can get money from Washington to make these.

You know...

...from the SLUSH fund.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Slush Drinks by Mare749 (This sounds really g...)
It does work for Brandy. I haven't tried it with Rum, but I have a similar one for rum that has pineapple concentrate instead of lemonade in it. However, I wouldn't probably use the gingerale option then, just the 7-up or Sprite.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Slush Drinks by luvnit (It does work for Bra...)
MERCY! This sounds super yummy! We've got hot days predicted for the next 4-6 days (YES!) and these sound perfect! Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Slush Drinks by Gourmet_Mom (MERCY! This sounds ...)
Juice of 2 oranges
Juice of 2 lemons
½ can (large) pineapple juice
2 cups sugar
3½ cups water
Lemon-lime soda (Sprite, etc.)
Frozen berries (raspberries and/or strawberries, optional)

1. In large bowl, combine juices and water. Dissolve sugar and stir.
2. Pour in berries, if desired.
3. Ladle mixture into 2-3 1-gallon plastic bags. Make sure they are closed completely, and place flat in the freezer.
4. Once frozen and ready to serve, place frozen mixture into bowl, and pour lemon-lime soda over the top. Break up the frozen juice with whatever you have available (immersion blenders or potato mashers work well). Adjust soda amount to correct consistency. Serve.

This slush is also great with combined the the vodka or rum of your choice.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Slush Drinks by Vanquisher (Juice of 2 oranges[b...)
Oh man, is this going to be an Easter weekend to remember, or what!! (guess it's a good thing none of the kids are coming up )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com