Coming along
  Re: (...)
I thought I would officially post how things are going, just to keep you all informed as to our progress.

I don't know how other states operate, but in PA, alcohol sales are governed by the PA Liquor Control Board which, I swear, requires pledging your first born child along with documentation as to how that child was acquired! We had our interview yesterday, and supplied this gentleman with 1-1/2" of paperwork - everything from background checks to employment information for the last five years, to exactly where every cent of the money to purchase this property was coming from. And one of the things he wants is another affidavit with Bruce's signature on it that states that he knows that the money we have borrowed against the house is being used to purchase the golf course. I just don't get that one!!!

I don't know whether I mentioned, but I have formed a partnership with a girlfriend to operate the course, but the husbands were involved in the purchase of the property - two separate LLCs. My intent is to go for women-owned funding down the road. So it basically is the Patty and Linda show!

Anyway, after the meeting we had to go back to the course for him to confirm my measurements of all the rooms, building, etc. And out of the blue somebody says something about food - well the resto isn't open, no food on the premises except a couple of boxes of scalloped potatoes from last year. I had to stop at the grocery on the way back from the meeting and purchase 60 hotdogs and buns and show him that I could serve 30 people hot dogs. Does that make any sense?

Of course the store only had 4 packs of hot dog buns, I supplemented with hamburger buns. I showed the inspector my packages of dogs and buns and with a straight face explained to him that some of my customers preferred their dogs on hamburger buns. He asks about condiments. I just continued on and replied that they all preferred them naked. Fortunately he had a sense of humor and as long as he saw these stupid things sitting there he was satisfied.

So my kitchen is being inspected Friday. I think we are reasonably ready, I just haven't taken the ice machines apart to sanitize them, and one of the upright coolers seems to be not functioning, but that may be taken out of service. Everything else seems to be coming to temp, we will fire it all up today and let sit.

And on top of everything else, today is Bruce's last day of work. He decided in Feb that he wanted to retire. This whole golf thing has come about in the last 4 weeks, and when the opportunity presented itself, my concern was that he felt it would interfere with his plans for retiring. But he was enthusiastic about it, so we proceeded on. He is having surgery on his foot tomorrow, will be on sick leave for 6-8 weeks and then will roll into using his vacation time which will go until September sometime.

So here I am - he's going in for surgery tomorrow morning, my course is offially opening at 8:30 am and I should be there, the kitchen is being inspected at 1:00 and Chels should be there. So I think she is taking him in, and then coming back out, I am going in after I get things rolling at the course.

The hair is going grayer by the day!

For those interested, we are starting out pretty basic on the menu. I have to get these golfers staying at the course and eating, then I figure I can gradually introduce a few more exotic things as features. However, I would be interested in any celiac or gluten free suggestions that you all may have. We seem to be seeing that more and more, and it has been suggested that we have several dishes, maybe not specifically on the menu, but kind of in our back pocket that we could whip up. Any ideas???
  Re: Coming along by iBcookin (I thought I would of...)
Whew! You certainly have a lot on your plate right now and I will be sending a lot of positive energy your way. I have heard about the [Email]pain-in-the-@$$[/Email] hoops you have to go through for the PA liquor license. But geez that is ridiculous!

As far as wheat-free gluten-free stuff. Here is a link to a company that produces products, you can buy by the case like frozen pizza crusts that are oven ready. They have other stuff to, but I was just thinking if you could whip up a pizza with a wf-gf crust on the spot that would be easy. Like I said they have other stuff too. My mom has some of these issues, so I will ask her if she has any suggestions" Gluten free pastas would also be a viable solution if you have any pasta on the menu, you could easily replace it with a gf-wf version.

Chebe Company
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
Quote:

And one of the things he wants is another affidavit with Bruce's signature on it that states that he knows that the money we have borrowed against the house is being used to purchase the golf course. I just don't get that one!!!

That's probably just to be sure it is truly your own decision to risk the house on the purchase of the golf course, that you weren't snookered into it by someone like a Bernie Madoff, and that the LCB did not play any part in your decision.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Coming along by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
What a coincidence. As I tried to fall asleep last night, I thought of you, Linda and wondered how things were going. Could you add any more to your plate? just kidding. I remember when you first told us of this venture, I said the PA liquor board would be my biggest fear. Glad to hear you sound positive and are moving forward.

As for gluten free, I know nothing, but that websight DrGourmet.com would probably have some recipes to peruse. I have yet to try a bad one.

Best of luck and thanks for reading my mind and catching us up!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Coming along by chef_Tab (What a coincidence. ...)
Whew, I hope you both (the gal team) are taking deep breaths.

And I hope the kitchen has one of these ready to go - we could hardly keep up with the hot dogs goin' out the door - what is it about hot dogs and golfing?

[Image: Hotdogcooker.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Coming along by cjs (Whew, I hope you bot...)
Bob wants one of those. I don't know why.

Linda it sounds like things are moving right along. Of course you have to expect a bureaucrat to come in with all kinds of crazy stunts you have to pull. Thank your stars that it wasn't CA - they're even worse.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Coming along by cjs (Whew, I hope you bot...)
Quote:

what is it about hot dogs and golfing?

Hmmm. Have never seen any correlation. Don't recall anyone having hot dogs on any courses I've played. Maybe it's just the portability.

Years ago, my dad made a simple sandwich to take with him. He used deli roast beef, mixed some mayonnaise with some of the Quest for Fire hot sauce we loved so much and spread that onto the sandwich. It was delicious, and became such a favourite that he would take one with him every week, so my mom just called it his "golf sandwich." Unfortunately, Quest for Fire is no longer available, and he now uses a similar sauce from the same company. It's still good, but not the perfect combination that it was with Quest for Fire.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Coming along by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Best of luck to you! I hope everything goes better than planned.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Coming along by Vanquisher (Best of luck to you!...)
Well, it sounds like you have everything in hand. It doesn't look like you've had any major problems, so far. I hope things continue to run smoothly. I wish I were close by...I would gladly help out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
You're doing a great job! People, in general, don't realize what it takes to get it up and running, even in an initial limited capacity. All the obvious big things, right down to the ph level of your sanitizing solution, there is so much to think about. Hot dogs and golf?? yes, it's a guy thing, mine does it, as well as all his friends.

He wants me to explore a sandwich type operation, high end. Now's not the time. I think someday it will be a good idea, but not now.

The best of luck to you! Sounds like your act is very well put together!

PJ `
PJ