I am kinda ticked-off!!
  Re: (...)
Well I am making this wonderful sauerbraten and went to the store today to get cabbage and gingersnaps. I got home and started prepping for our early dinner (is that supper?) and went to crush the gingersnaps. Opened the box and found this!

[Image: DSC02845.jpg]

I hope you can see it. Essentially it is a graham cracker that is pressed to look like a gingersnap! Each cooking looks exactly the same! They were the only gingersnaps in the store made by Nabisco. Even the box said "Made with Real Ginger and Molasses" The darn thing doesn't even LOOK like a gingersnap!

Chaps my hide! I mean what the @#%*!

Here is a picture of the box in case any of you decide to buy them.

[Image: 00365CF00044000003654.gif]
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: I am kinda ticked-off!! by luvnit (Well I am making thi...)
does it taste like a graham cracker?? Oh, bet everyone is staying out of your kitchen for a while.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I am kinda ticked-off!! by cjs (does it taste like a...)
Gracious...there is a BIG difference between graham cracker and ginger snaps. HMMMM?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I am kinda ticked-off!! by Gourmet_Mom (Gracious...there is ...)
Man that looks a bit thin to be a ginger snap. And the ones I've always gotten are much darker too. I get them at Trader Joe's though.
  Re: Re: I am kinda ticked-off!! by DFen911 (Man that looks a bit...)
Laura I know what you mean. They do taste like gingersnaps - not anywhere near as good as home made though. Those were all I could get too. I think Mother's cookie company used to make a better one - but they aren't in business any more. Sh#t.

You should have seen Bob and I reading all the labels on graham crackers to try to find some without a mess '0' crap in them. We wound up paying almost 3 bucks for a bag of graham animal crackers from the organic section. All that for a graham cracker pie crust.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: I am kinda ticked-off!! by Harborwitch (Laura I know what yo...)
Yes they do 'taste' like a gingersnap. And they did work in this recipe. But they are NOTHING like a gingersnap. They are thinner than a graham cracker and more dense. They did grind up into a fine powder.

It worked out fine. But thanks Nabisco for 'dummying up' a classic like the gingersnap.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: I am kinda ticked-off!! by luvnit (Yes they do 'taste' ...)
I'll have to get my backside in gear - and post the recipe I use for gingersnaps. It's a Martha recipe - but soooooo good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: I am kinda ticked-off!! by Harborwitch (I'll have to get my ...)
These are the gingersnaps which I buy and eat, when I don't feel like baking them myself. Yep, they're a world away (in appearance) from what I consider a gingersnap, but they taste okay.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com