Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas?
  Re: (...)
Hey All,

We've been on a diet lately and have had some success. But once a week - usually Saturday - we do a "regular" meal.

We haven't had pork chops in a long time and was thinking about getting some thick cut ones for this Saturday. I have a couple recipes for braising and grilling, but would love to hear some others from you who have more resources for recipes.

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]We'v...)
For thick cut pork chops, if we are grilling, we love the white BBQ sauce. It is to die for! I love it and they are so moist. Grilling veggies on the side is a must.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by BarbaraS (Hey All,[br][br]We'v...)
I have actually done them in the pressure cooker. Nice and tender that way, cooked with some chicken stock, carrots, and potatoes. It goes a bit against diet regulations, but if so inclined, you can then make a pan gravy using some cornstarch with the cooking liquid.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by luvnit (For thick cut pork c...)
If they're really thick, stuff them! The only limits would be your imagination, your budget and the available ingredients.

Possibilities include:
  • Fruits - prunes, fresh apples, dried apricots or dried cranberries would be interesting.
  • Dressing - similar to what you would use in a turkey, but maybe seasoned a little differently.
  • Cheese - something that holds its shape well and won't run out when you finish the chops in the oven.
  • Vegetables - maybe sun-dried tomatoes, different kinds of peppers or some kind of greens.
  • Other meats - for example, just the other day, I thought about something I'll be trying: "*****-a-Leekie Roulade." I'll wrap chicken breast around some beef, leeks and prunes, thus turning the traditional Scottish soup into a roulade.
Have fun!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by labradors (If they're really th...)
I usually stuff them. I saute onion and garlic, then wilt some spinach in at the end. This I toss with nutmeg, salt, pepper, and parmesan. I mix this with a goodly amount of cheese: fontina, gruyere, provolone, Swiss, mozzarella...whatever I have. Stuff, season, sear, and finish in the oven. YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by Gourmet_Mom (I usually stuff them...)
This all sounds really good! Let us know what you end up doing with them.
  Re: Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by HomeCulinarian (This all sounds real...)
Here' s Jammed Up Pork Chops -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Jammed Up Pork Chops

4 ea pork chops, bone in or boneless, 3/4" thick
8 ozs jar of fruit/jalapeno jam
1 T. Dijon Mustard
1/2 c beef stock or broth

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Flour and season the pork chops and brown in an oiled skillet over m edium high heat until golden; turn over and saute 1 more minute.

While the chops are browning, mix together the jam, Dijon and the beef stock. Season with a little salt.
When chops have cooked for one minute on second side, remove from heat and spoon the jam mixture over the chops, covering as completely as possible.
Cover the skillet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or to an internal temperature of 145F.

cj tips: if thicker chops are used, increase cooking time.

Serve with: check out fennel side dishes

Check out this thread on C@H - lots of folks tested this and loved it. http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...part=3&vc=1

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by cjs (Here' s Jammed Up Po...)
So here's a lst minute question - I've got a jar of cherry jam and a jar of Tabasco jalapeno pepper jelly. I thought you mixed a fruit jam with the jalapeno jelly? I should just use the Tabasco stuff?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by BarbaraS (So here's a lst minu...)
You could do either. the jalapeno jelly by itself or add some to the cherry - both would be great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thick-cut Pork Chop Ideas? by cjs (You could do either....)
Quote:

You could do either. the jalapeno jelly by itself or add some to the cherry - both would be great.

And that's what I'm going to do!! Thanks again Jean!

Barbara