Bill's Birthday Dinner Review
  Re: (...)
I so apologize - the days have just gotten away from me and I didn't get this dinner made. But, I promise I'll do it this week and add to all of your reviews -

Here's Bill's post re his selections -
"It's my birthday, March 24, 19--. Let's us all do Broiled Shrimp Scampi (pg 41). Greek Salad (pg41) , and double chocolate torte (pg 39) in #80, 2010. OK? How about a date? This looks real good and real easy!! Am I being too presumptuous?

edited to add: Review date will be Monday, March 22nd
(is that being too presumptuous?? ) "

Hope you all did better than I on this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by cjs (I so apologize - the...)
I almost let this slip by. We had this Saturday night. I love Shrimp Scampi, so I was really looking forward to this one.

I made the recipes exactly as they were written except for doubling the shrimp recipe. First, the shrimp. As you will see, in an effort to make the individual servings, I over crowded my dish a little and had to zap them for a minute after making space between the shrimp. (After the picture) I have noted this on the recipe. To be honest, there was not a lot a difference in this recipe and my usual recipe, but I DID spring for the jumbo shrimp instead of the regular size I typically get. You will also see that my topping started burning, so I will probably just set the oven on bake next time and broil the last minute or two if necessary. I would also add a little more Parmesan cheese to the topping if I use it again.

Next the salad. William really like this, but I was so-so on it. To be honest, the only creamy style dressing I typically use is Caesar, and my current recipe is less creamy, which I prefer.

Finally, the torte. I did not make this yet. I will probably make it over Easter when family is here to take off the leftovers. This would just be too hard to pass and not have a slice. Baby girl, OS, and my mother have a particular weakness for dark chocolate and almonds, so it shouldn't be a problem to get rid of it. I'll be anxious to hear what Bill and Jane thought of it.

As I mentioned before, my "crust" started burning, so the picture is not that great. I served polenta as an additional side.

[Image: DSC03678.jpg]

Overall rating: Shrimp- 8 and Salad-7
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (I almost let this sl...)
I'm doing it tonight - sans the torte. We just had flan the last couple of days and I just can't do it, as much as I would love to! will post in the a.m.!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by cjs (I so apologize - the...)
Shrimp--we have two Calphalon tapas pans we got at Williams-Sonoma (a shrimp recipe came with them which I'll post later.). We did our scampi in them just by the recipe--we agree more breadcrumbs and parmesan would work--we really liked it --give it an 8 out of 10. Would do it again with adjustments.

Salad--We thought the salad was really good, but we do like creamy dressing--I enjoyed the grated cucumber as part of the dressing as opposed to being part of the salad--I love Greek food!!! We give it an 8 out of 10 and would do it again.

Torte--It's made, but we won't eat it until later (after dinner). We did take a liberty with it--instead of almond liqueur and extract we used Frangelico and hazelnut extract, but with an almond topping. Will let you know later--(we love Frangelico)!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by Old Bay (Shrimp--we have two ...)
Hubby and I really enjoyed the shrimp and the salad. I did not bring any little bakers with me and had to do the shrimp in a pie plate. Wally said it was the best scampi he had ever had in his life. I like a recipe done with a lot less butter that I think came from Gourmet, but loved the crunchy topping on this one. I served this with a crunchy crust baguette that we dipped into the sauce at the bottom of the pie plate. I recommend this highly. I would give the shrimp a 9, hubby surely a 10. It cooked perfectly, no problems with the crumb crust burning.

The salad was great, and a refreshing change. I must say I am currently addicted to the Ceasar salad dressing, but will make this for a change of pace. I also liked the cucumber grated into the dressing as opposed to sliced on the salad. Salad gets a solid 8.

Have not made the torte, but might try this while at my daughters after the baby is born. There will be more people to help eat it and her husband is a chocoholic.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by chef_Tab (Hubby and I really e...)
Oh, Bill...I can't wait to hear! The one thing I like more than almonds is hazelnuts......Frangelica!!!!! YUMMMMY! I used to keep the stuff around for after dinner coffee laced with Kahlua and Frangelica with a dollop of cream! (I sure can't do that any more....LOL! I'd never get to sleep!)
Daphne
  Re: Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Bill...I can't w...)
I haven't received that issue yet, so I will make this menu a day or two after I do.

Daphne, I'm sipping a coffee-and-kahlua now...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Bill...I can't w...)
Quote:

Oh, Bill...I can't wait to hear! The one thing I like more than almonds is hazelnuts......Frangelica!!!!! YUMMMMY! I used to keep the stuff around for after dinner coffee laced with Kahlua and Frangelica with a dollop of cream! (I sure can't do that any more....LOL! I'd never get to sleep!)

OK--substituting the Frangelico and hazlenut extract was wonderful!! The Almond derivitives would be just as good. Jane baked it in a waterbath per the recipe, and it came out perfectly, dense, creamy, rich--serve thin slices with ganache, almonds, and berries over the top. Says it keeps a week in the fridge--I'm counting on it!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks, Bill and Jane....I'm drooling like crazy! OIY! Seriously, now I may not be able to wait.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Bill's Birthday Dinner Review by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Bill and Jan...)
We made the shrimp scampi a few weeks ago and thought it was very good. I was luke warm on the salad, hubby like it a lot. Going to make the torte for an office birthday on Friday. Glad it got rave reviews!