Let's play "Great or Gimmick"
  Re: (...)
When the guys from the cable company were here, yesterday, to move my service from the old apartment to the new one, they ran through the "auto program" to have my TV scan for all channels before I could tell them that I already had the channels set up the way I wanted them. So, this morning, I went through all the channels to set which ones should be kept and which should be skipped.

Since it was pretty early, some of the U.S. channels were running infomercials. One of them really prompted me to roll my eyes, but DID make me curious, so I'd be interested in hearing if any of you have seen it or have even tried the product.

The name of the product (which especially rolled my eyes) is "Orgreenic" cookware. Obviously, they are cashing in on the myrmidons of the "organic" and "green" crazes at the same time. Of course, my response to those is that hemlock is organic and green (also natural and herbal), but it didn't do Socrates one bit of good, but I'll put that aside to ask about the product.

What they are advertising is a collection of pots and pans that use some kind of ceramic coating, instead of Teflon, or the like. Of course, their pitch says it is "green and organic," and I think I even heard them say something like "not a chemical coating, but Mother Nature's ceramic." (Sheesh!)

The say these pots and pans are SO non-stick that even if something really burns badly, it will still fall right out of the pan and just need a quick wipe with a paper towel for clean up. Naturally, they also had the usual ridiculous demonstrations of that kind of claim, along with having one of their sauté pans run over by a car to show how tough it is. (Sheesh, again!)

This is certainly not the first infomercial to promote something for the kitchen, but sometimes, as ridiculous as the infomercials can be, the products MAY actually be worthwhile, so I'd like to know if any of you have any experience with this product and, if so, what you have thought about it. Is it great, or is it just another gimmick?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by labradors (When the guys from t...)
I think another company has used this "ceramic" coating - Greenpans I think. Calphalon?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by Harborwitch (I think another comp...)
I have never heard of this.
But wait!....As a BONUS for ordering, you'll also get the handy food chopper and the OrGreenic™ Fast and Easy cookbook filled with dozens of healthy recipes for free!!!!!!!!

hahaha
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by chef_Tab (I have never heard o...)
But wait there's more...

If you are one the next 100 callers, we will double your order and you won't get just ONE set of OrGreenic™ cookware, handy food chopper and OrGreenic™ Fast and Easy cookbook, you will receive TWO and all for the same low price.

Orgreenic Commercial
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by luvnit (But wait there's mor...)
Hey, I had a Ginzu knife!!

Haven't seen an infomercial for a long time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by luvnit (But wait there's mor...)
Among people I know who know how to cook and have good knife skills, nobody likes the Ginzu knives. The people that I know who DO like the Ginzu knives are much less experienced in the kitchen.

The same holds for MOST non-stick cookware. The experienced professionals use one or two pieces for particular tasks, but never use it for EVERYTHING, since better-quality cookware usually doesn't stick, and some foods are SUPPOSED to stick, a little bit, so you can deglaze the pan (after which the food no longer sticks) and make sauces.
  Re: Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by cjs (Hey, I had a Ginzu k...)
Quote:

Hey, I had a Ginzu knife!!

Haven't seen an infomercial for a long time.

I am not knocking the Ginsu knives and we all have skeletons on our closet. But if you were like my parents, they ordered them, used them and threw them away when they were shot. They never got the 'new set' they intended to. I don't think they liked them much after the 'honeymoon' period.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I didn't have a set, just the one knife. My oldest son is such a sucker (to this day) for a sales pitch and he bought it for me. Got to admit it was darn sharp, but just so flimsy!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by cjs (I didn't have a set,...)
One chef I knew used to say, "'Never needs sharpening' means 'CAN'T be sharpened.'" He especially said that for supposed "chef's knives" that actually had serrated edges, actually making it more difficult to use a chef's knife in the ways for which chef's knives are designed.
  Re: Re: Let's play "Great or Gimmick" by labradors (One chef I knew used...)
I have never heard of them. My kids often get caught up in the as seen on TV stuff and call me in when they are watching cartoons to see something "I MUST HAVE". Ugh.

I will say there is one product that I swear has been good and I even bought repeated set - moving men. These round heavy duty plastic disks with foam on top that you put under your heavy furniture to move it around. They work great.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.