Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise
  Re: (...)
Oh boy, is this a winner - even for someone who is a dubious oyster lover. I've had this recipe for years (a crinkled newspaper article from somewhere we lived ) - it's the recipe of Marie Rizzio of Traverse City, MI who won a $1,000. for it in the National Oyster Cook-Off in Leonardtown MD.

They are a little loose, but do hold together
[Image: OysterCakes1.jpg]

And delicious!
[Image: oystercakes2.jpg]

Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise

1 pint, fresh oysters, drained
1/2 cup panko
3 green onions, tops include, minced
2 small garlic cloves, minced
2 T. snipped parsley
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/8 tsp. dried basil (1/2 tsp. fresh)
1/8 tsp. dried oregano (1/2 tsp. fresh)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
----
Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 T. half-&-half (I didn’t use, I like the sauce thicker)
2 T. capers, finely chopped
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Rinse, pat dry and chop the oysters. Combine in a bowl with the panko, onions, garlic, parsley, Parmesan and eggs.

Form into cakes, about 3” across and 1” thick. Chill, uncovered, about 30 minutes.

Prepare mayonnaise while oyster cakes are chilling. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients and blend well. Refrigerate.

To cook oyster cakes, heat about 1/4" canola oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add cakes, being careful not to crowd them in a skillet, and brown on both sides.

Serve cakes on a bed of shredded lettuce with caper-cayenne mayonnaise.

We had two bottles of wine opened and both of them were great with the oyster cakes.
Columbia Crest Reisling
Bernard Griffin Syrah '07

----
and, while we were playing with the oysters, we had a little side dish and drink - Limoncello Collins and Tomatillo & Black Bean salsa - really good together. Would have been perfect for a sunny day!
[Image: LimoncelloCollins.jpg]
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by cjs (Oh boy, is this a wi...)
Lookin' good. Looks like your celebration night was absolutely fantastic!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by luvnit (Lookin' good. Looks ...)
uh,yeah - movin' a little slow this a.m.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by cjs (uh,yeah - movin' a l...)
Jean, William is going to flip out when he gets a look at those oyster cakes!

"uh,yeah - movin' a little slow this a.m." LOL! You know what they say...hair of the dog!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, William is goi...)
OMG Jean, I am going to have to make these!!

Wooohooo!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by BarbaraS (OMG Jean, I am going...)
They sure were good!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by cjs (They sure were good!...)
Could not resist...oyster cakes are today's dinner.
  Re: Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by piano226 (Could not resist...o...)
I'm so glad I posted this recipe - I was working on the recipe to add to the book and I wanted to give credit to the person who won with it, but I didn't have it. So, when I googled it, [Email]C@H[/Email] came up....

Anyone who hasn't tried these and likes oysters, man are they good!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by cjs (I'm so glad I posted...)
Thanks! Might add these to the baby shower menu!
PJ
  Re: Re: Oyster Cakes with Caper-Cayenne Mayonnaise by pjcooks (Thanks! Might add t...)
Remind me, PJ - did we know one of the boys was going to be a daddy?? (I'm going to be embarrassed, I know. )
www.achefsjourney.com