A CuisineLite recipe, adapted
  Re: (...)
When I was visiting my parents last weekend, Mom was leafing through the CuisineLite magazine which I brought along and commented on the recipe for Zesty Salmon Burgers. One of our favorite meals when I was growing up was salmon patties, mashed potatoes, and corn (which, I understand, is now a favorite among the new generation-- my nieces). Really, it was the only way Mom could get us to eat fish... anyway, she mentioned that she never thought of using citrus in the patties (or "burgers"), and I told her that I now use lemon when I make them. Then she proceeded to have me make about 8 copies of recipes which she wanted to try (which was good, since they were mostly pork and beef recipes which I wouldn't have used).

A couple of nights ago, I thought I'd give the Salmon Burgers recipe a try but ended up making a lot of changes (using canned salmon for fresh salmon fillet, among others). The result was, after making "salmon patties" for the last 26 years, DH told me that I should make them this way from now on!

I posted all of the changes (and a photo) on my blog, but will post the recipe here for you all. These were really good, the orange and chipotle goes so well with the salmon.

[Image: Orange-Chipotle+Salmon+Patties.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Orange-Chipotle Salmon Patties

Recipe adapted from CusineLite
Servings: 3

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 large egg white
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons chopped scallions
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon orange zest
3/4 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo
1 teaspoon minced cilantro
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
14 ounces canned pink salmon

Beat egg white in a medium bowl until foamy. Add the next 7 ingredients (through black pepper) and blend.

Drain liquid from salmon, break into chunks (removing any silvery or dark skin). Any of the soft bones can be crushed and added to the salmon to be used in the recipe (it is a great source of calcium). Add to the bowl and mix with hands. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.

On a waxed paper lined baking sheet, divide mixture into 6 balls, then flatten to make patties. Refrigerate for at least 20
minutes. This will make the patties easier to work with when transferring to the pan and turning, but it is not essential to the recipe (realizing, of course, that you will have to be extra careful in handling the patties while cooking).

Preheat the broiler and line a broiler pan with foil. Spray with cooking spray and transfer the patties to the pan. Broil about 6" from the heating element for 4 minutes, or until they brown lightly. Turn and continue to broil until the other side is lightly browned. Serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 203 Calories (kcal); 10g Total Fat; (44% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 83mg Cholesterol; 578mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 10 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

These were served as patties, w/o the English muffin, and with orange-sour cream mashed potatoes and a mix of edamame, corn, and red bell pepper.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: A CuisineLite recipe, adapted by foodfiend (When I was visiting ...)
This sounds good Vicci. I think I will try to make them this week. I have to got the store to get some groceries anyway.

Do you recommend any particular brand of canned salmon?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: A CuisineLite recipe, adapted by luvnit (This sounds good Vic...)
Hmmmm, my aunt has requested salmon cakes for this visit....but, I know I'd have to omit the chipotle for her. Maybe I'll play with this version too. Thanks Vicci.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A CuisineLite recipe, adapted by cjs (Hmmmm, my aunt has r...)
Laura, I used Chicken of the Sea brand, which was on sale the last time I stocked up. I really don't have a "favorite brand", I think I've tried several and they all seem the same.

Jean, maybe just a little hot sauce for your aunt instead of the chipotle (or just some smoked paprkia, instead?).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: A CuisineLite recipe, adapted by foodfiend (Laura, I used Chicke...)
that's what I'm thinking also, Vicci.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com