Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!!
  Re: (...)
We were going to have l/o pasta with fennel from the freezer and a little grilled salmon, but... found this place on our way looking for a stop for tonight and thought what the heck, the salmon can go back in the freezer!

http://www.bravofarms.com/

so, it's going to be cheeses, salamis, crackers, Chardonnay Artichoke Salsa.....I bet I've gained 30 lbs. this trip. I'm in big trouble when I get home. Oh, and a bottle of Tobin James 'Ballistic' Zin.

What did you all do for dinner??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by cjs (We [i]were[/i] goin...)
Yum! I love snacky dinners (at least that's what we call that type of spread). The artichoke salsa sounds amazing!

We're having the Gyro Beef Brisket Sandwich with Lemon-Feta Tzatziki from the slow cooker cookbook. This is a new recipe for us. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  Re: Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by karyn (Yum! I love snacky d...)
Please do, Karyn. I'm loving that new book, also.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by Dismc (Please do, Karyn. I...)
I'm doing something quick with chicken breasts. I didn't do my usual planning for the week and now I'm behind! We won't starve!
  Re: Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by HomeCulinarian (I'm doing something ...)
I'm working on grades...progress reports tomorrow, and I'm behind. Plus, I'm weak....I got a big bag of lemons at Sam's Friday. I used several (after removing the zest) for the Greek Salad dressing for a lot of that salad I bought. Tonight, they called again...Chicken Piccata with Angel Hair Pasta and a nice salad with Jean's Gorgonzola (Blue Cheese) Dressing. I finally made it again. How on earth did I miss the part about adding the buttermilk 1 T at a time? I also got a jug of REAL buttermilk this time. The powdered stuff will NOT work for this. YUMMMMMMYYYYYY!!!!!! I had to beat William off with the spoon, literally. He had two PLATES of salad before dinner...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by Gourmet_Mom (I'm working on grade...)
Initially, I had wanted to make the Spicy Garlic Chicken with Lemon Glaze, but I was in the supermarket that won't sell just four chicken breast halves, but requires you to buy a leg for each breast (I don't buy the pre-packaged, frozen, boneless and skinless chicken breasts, since the price difference is astronomical), and I didn't feel like paying for all those legs at the time. Since I already had 1 1/4 Lb of pork waiting in the fridge, I decided to make use of that, and thus, another new creation came about, and it worked out well.

After the two recent "roll-up" style recipes, I decided to invent my own based upon where my taste buds would take me as I walked through the supermarket. At first, I had considered a stir fry, instead, but I had really wanted some green bell peppers in that, and the ones the store had weren't that great, so I told my taste buds to try again. A couple aisles later, as I pondered some canned mushrooms (they didn't have any fresh mushrooms), I noticed a big can of figs in syrup, and that locked in the idea for a roulade. Since I also wanted to use the mushrooms in some gravy, I got them and some beef bouillon (the only canned stock here is Swanson chicken stock, and that's only been available for about a year, now). Everything else would be decided at home.

Here's the resulting recipe, which was VERY tasty (adn worth making again, especially since I have some figs left over):

Fig-and-Herb-Stuffed Pork Roulades
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
  • 4 Tbsp Olive oil, divided
  • 2 Large Onions, halved and sliced
  • 8 Oz Canned sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 6 Figs (canned, packed in syrup), minced
  • 1 Tsp Marjoram
  • 1/2 Tsp Sage
  • 1 Tsp Rosemary
  • 1 Tsp Thyme
  • 1 1/4 Lb Boneless pork, butterflied and pounded into four 1/2"-thick slices
  • 1/2 Cup Dry red wine
  • 2 Cups Beef stock, divided
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 Tbsp Flour
  • 3 Tbsp Butter
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Using a knife, chop the herbs into the figs until well mixed.
  3. Spread the mixture onto the pork.
  4. Roll the pork into roulades, securing with toothpicks.
  5. Heat a large sauté pan and add 2 Tbsp of the oil.
  6. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté until soft.
  7. Remove the onions and mushrooms to a bowl.
  8. Add the roulades to the pan and brown on all sides.
  9. Remove the roulades to a baking pan, cover and bake for 30 minutes.
  10. Meanwhile, return the onions and mushrooms to the pan.
  11. Deglaze the pan with the wine.
  12. Simmer the wine until reduced by half.
  13. Add 1 1/2 cups of the stock.
  14. Add the salt and pepper.
  15. Simmer the mixture until reduced by half.
  16. Stir the flour into the remaining stock to make a slurry.
  17. Add the slurry to the pan and cook to thicken.
  18. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool until the mixture is 140F.
  19. Add the butter and stir until it has completely melted and mixed into the sauce.
  20. When the pork is done, remove it from the oven, remove the toothpicks and slice.
  21. Serve covered with the sauce.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by labradors (Initially, I had wan...)
Worked in the garden from Lunch on. School was before lunch. For the kids I made a sort of Chicken Strogaoff over a baked potato. They loved it.

for Steve and I, a pan seared chicken breast with roasted asparagus,and sauted mushrooms finished with chopped tomato and balsamic. It was very good.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by esgunn (Worked in the garden...)
This looks good. Do you think I could use fresh mushrooms instead of canned? I could just saute them first.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by Vanquisher (This looks good. Do...)
Quote:

This looks good. Do you think I could use fresh mushrooms instead of canned? I could just saute them first.

To which recipe were you referring? If it was my pork roulades, then absolutely! I would have used fresh mushrooms, myself, but the store didn't have any. No need to sauté them first, in this case, since they're sautéed along with the onions, anyway.

Most of the time, it is possible to use fresh mushrooms instead of canned. The other way around, however (using canned in place of fresh) does not always work.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tonight's Dinner - A Little Late!! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
That does sound good, Labs.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com