Question about working in a restaurant kitchen
  Re: (...)
Once again, I was almost done with my dinner tonight when I realized that the garnishes, chopped parsley and lemon wedges, would have been great on the tuna steaks. If I had remembered to put them on the plate. I mean, really.

I do this often.

Anyway, my only restaurant kitchen experience was so long ago and I have a question.

In a restaurant, is there someone whose job it is to make sure that the plates going out to the customers are correctly finished?

A "garnishiere", of sorts?

Sort of a silly question, but I was wondering...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Question about working in a restaurant kitchen by foodfiend (Once again, I was al...)
Vicci, I cannot answer your question but I can certainly sympathize with you. More often than not I forget to add the cabbage to Corn Beef and Cabbage. It is usually the morning after that I find that head of cabbage all cleaned and quartered in the fridge. It has become quite the joke in our family.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Question about working in a restaurant kitchen by chef_Tab (Vicci, I cannot answ...)
The expediter (aboyeur or aboyeuse) is supposed to make sure each plate is correct before it leaves the kitchen.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Question about working in a restaurant kitchen by labradors (The expediter ([i]ab...)
Labs gets to the answer first! I've done that quite often myself...
  Re: Re: Question about working in a restaurant kitchen by HomeCulinarian (Labs gets to the ans...)
So, I guess that I need an expediter in my kitchen.

Thanks, guys. I worked the salad bar for my very first job when I was 15, and was a waitress between my freshman and sophomore years of college, but in neither instance had any direct contact with the kitchen staff. I knew that someone had to do that sort of thing, especially in a large restaurant.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Question about working in a restaurant kitchen by foodfiend (So, I guess that I n...)
Vicci yes there is actually. In big kitchens there is a person manned to that station. In smaller ones sometimes it's the server who is to garnish the plates.
  Re: Re: Question about working in a restaurant kitchen by DFen911 (Vicci yes there is a...)
And the chefs job to look at it last and know it's done properly.

One suggestion - in the case of parsley and lemon wedges you mentioned, Vicci - how about leaving a parsley leaf and the lemon next to the stove as a reminder. The leaf so you don't leave the parsley out to wilt while cooking dinner. Should be part of your mise en place, then you won't over look any ingredient.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com