Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article
  Re: (...)
Every so often I like to peruse the Cooking for Engineers websight. Today I found an interesting article where the guy does an experiment with beer can chicken to see if using water instead of beer would make any discernable difference in taste. The writing style is quite amusing in itself.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/artic...an-Chicken
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by chef_Tab (Every so often I lik...)
I love that site! It is where I learned to cook Brussels sprouts correctly...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by foodfiend (I love that site! I...)
That was interesting. While my comparison was not scientific, I will have to disagree. I can tell a difference. The best by far was the time I realized somebody drank that beer I'd been saving. I took a can I had emptied and filled it with white wine and some of my rub. That was the most moist, juicy, flavorful chicken I've ever made. Maybe I'll do my own experiment the next time there's a couple of extra mouths at the table.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by Gourmet_Mom (That was interesting...)
" Maybe I'll do my own experiment the next time there's a couple of extra mouths at the table."

and post your results....of course!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by chef_Tab (Every so often I lik...)
Theresa I love that website! I forget to go there, so thanks for bringing it up. I loved the article too!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by luvnit (Theresa I love that ...)
I have to agree with Daphne, I think it definately adds a distinct flavor. I also have cooked them in the oven and on the grill, and while I will often cook in the oven, we really prefer it on the grill. I will have to try the wine!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by esgunn (I have to agree with...)
I know I have seen recipes with soda. Has anyone here ever tried a gingerale, or 7up? I have never done it, but I always thought that Gingerale would be very with a good Asian rub or dipping sauce. Or a 7up with lemon-pepper and garlic.
Laura
  Re: Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by luvnit (I know I have seen r...)
I agree Laura, that would be fun to play with. Do you all remember that old coca cola/chicken recipe from the 80s or 90s? I think it came from a little book called, "I Hate to Cook Book" - if I remember right.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by cjs (I agree Laura, that ...)
Never heard of it! I will have to go and look it up. Sounds interesting. I thought you were going to talk about the coke-brined check from C@H, which I love.

Man, I am ready for grilling season to star! Just waiting for a nice, sunny day in the 30's!
Laura
  Re: Re: Interesting Beer Can Chicken Article by luvnit (Never heard of it! I...)
Know exactly how you are feeling - that's what this trip is all about. I sat in the sun reading all day yesterday, didn't do a darn thing. (wore a big hat, of course...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com