CuisineLite-Sausage-Potato Soup review!
  Re: (...)
I'm on a roll!

I made the Sausage-Potato soup from p.69 of Cuisine Lite for lunch today and this, also, is going into my “keeper” file. How perfect this soup is for a snowy February afternoon!

Although when trying a new recipe for the first time I try to make the it true to the way it is written, due to personal taste (and what I had on hand) I had to make a couple of changes.

The first was to omit the dill (neither of us really like the flavor), and sub ground chipotle pepper instead. ¼ teaspoon gave it a nice amount of heat.

I also sautéed 2/3 cup diced red and yellow bell pepper with the carrot (adding the onion later in the sautéing process because I was afraid that those smaller, softer pieces would burn before the carrots and peppers were softened). Bell peppers go so well with sausage, and I wonder why that was not considered in the original recipe since it not only looks nice but adds some nutrition and bulk to the soup as well.

DH likes thick soups, and I upped the flour to 2 tablespoons, but then needed to add ¼ cup of additional chicken broth at the end. And, by mistake, I added 1 cup of peas instead of ½. Oh, and I diced the turkey kielbasa instead of slicing it so there would be a piece of meat in every bite. And used skim milk rather than 2%, because that’s what was in the refrigerator.

Geez—a couple of changes?! But the basic idea of this soup remains the same!

We really enjoyed this. DH is not a “soup person” but I try to make it for lunch at least 3 days a week (except in summer) because it’s a good way to get vegetables into our diet, with less fat and calories than a sandwich might have. A very hearty winter-time soup.

[Image: ry%3D400.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sausage-Potato Soup

Recipe By: Cuisine Lite
Servings: 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup sliced carrot
1 cup diced onion
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
16 ounces mashed potatoes -- about 2 cups
2 1/2 cups 2% milk -- divided
7 ounces turkey kielbasa -- diced
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill weed
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
4 tablespoons lowfat cheddar cheese

Heat oil in nonstick Dutch oven over medium heat, add carrot and onion and saute until softened, 6-8 minutes

Add about 1/2 cup of the chicken broth, stirring up any browned bits that might be on the bottom of the pan, then add the remaining broth. With a whisk, stir in the mashed potatoes until well blended. Stir in 2 cups of the milk, the sausage and the dill then turn the heat down a little.

Stir the flour into the remaining ½ cup of milk until smooth, then slowly pour this mixture into the hot soup, stirring constantly. Increase the heat to medium and cook soup until it thickens, stirring often, about 3-5 minutes.

Add peas and cook until they are heated through. Season soup with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving of soup with 1 tablespoon of cheese.

Yield:
"7 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 328 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat, 4g Saturated; (33% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 64mg Cholesterol; 931mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

A note: Because of adding the extra chicken broth and the extra vegetables, I ended up with an additional cup of soup (8 cups instead of 7) so we got to have a bit more. With 13 less calories, 3g less total fat, and 1g less saturated fat, too.

The recipe above does not include my changes.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: CuisineLite-Sausage-Potato Soup review! by foodfiend (I'm on a roll! [img...)
Oh, that sounds "yummilicious"! I'm expecting at least one more cold, wet spell before spring shows up, so this is on the list for sure! Thanks Vicci!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: CuisineLite-Sausage-Potato Soup review! by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, that sounds "yum...)
Thanks for the great review Vicci! I like the changes you made as well. I thought of you today while at Wegmans.....they had a seafood sausage. Never heard of it before. I noticed it when I was looking for the chilean sea bass.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: CuisineLite-Sausage-Potato Soup review! by chef_Tab (Thanks for the great...)
that does sound good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CuisineLite-Sausage-Potato Soup review! by cjs (that does sound good...)
[Image: 4371100621_3f2df4d702_m.jpg]

(just testing to see if Flickr photos download larger, as I sit against a heating pad after shoveling show off of the porch roof this afternoon..._
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: CuisineLite-Sausage-Potato Soup review! by foodfiend ([img]http://farm5.st...)
Looks even better! I love the colors!

I hope there's a rum toddy in your hand to help that heating pad! You earned it...on the roof!?!?!?!?!?!?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: CuisineLite-Sausage-Potato Soup review! by Gourmet_Mom (Looks even better! ...)
Thanks Daphne.
I had 3 glasses of wine with dinner, so I'm really not feeling much pain...
Vicci

my cooking adventures