Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew")
  Re: (...)
This is the reicpe for one of the ingredients called for in an online recipe for a Mexican dish called Sopes, whose link I posted in Vicci's thread about Maseca. By request, I'm posting this as a separate thread so it won't get buried within the other thread.

Since the online recipe didn't give any further explanation, I compared the recipes from eight Mexican websites and chose the one below. There were no substantial differences among the recipes, except for the pepper/heat difference of two of them (and one of those was on the site of a company that sells the kind of pepper they used).

Tinga may be used on tostadas (in fact, it's similar to part of the tostada recipe that Jean posted in January) or just on its own, topped with a little sour cream and, if desired, along with some slices of avocado.

Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "Stew")

Ingredients:
  • 6 Oz. chorizo
  • 2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded, broth from cooking reserved
  • 1/2 cup chipotle chiles, finely chopped
  • 2 red tomatoes
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 onions, white or purple, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup sour cream (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Puree the tomato, and garlic with a splash of the broth left from cooking the chicken.
  2. In a large skillet fry the chorizo and onion for 3 to 5 minutes.
  3. Add the shredded chicken.
  4. Fry for another 3 minutes.
  5. Add the tomato puree and half a cup more of the broth left from cooking the chicken.
  6. Season with a little pepper and salt.
  7. Finally, add the chipotle peppers.
  8. Boil for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stew becomes dry.
  9. Serve on tostadas, or with a little sour cream on top.
Notes:
  • Since this is a Mexican recipe, the chorizo should be fresh, not dried (the dried would be Spanish instead of Mexican) but that's NOT critical, if you can only get dried chorizo.
  • One of the recipes called for longaniza (a different type of spicy sausage), but that's probably more difficult to find, in the States, than chorizo (and all the other recipes called for chorizo, anyway).
  • This recipe called for chipotles without saying they were canned, so it probably meant fresh chipotles. Other recipes, which DID call for the canned, specified 2 chipotles en adobo, instead of the half cup (!!!) specified by this recipe.
  • One recipe (the same one that called for longaniza) called for 2 tablespoons of that company's ancho chile flakes, instead of the chipotles.
  • Other than what was noted above, there were hardly any differences among the recipes, including using the broth from cooking the chicken, cooking the mixture until it becomes dry, etc. Even so, they were NOT just a bunch of copies of the same recipe (as one often finds on the Internet), but used different wording, etc. I chose the one that translate and format the best.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by labradors (This is the reicpe f...)
Thank looks really interesting.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by mjkcooking (Thank looks really ...)
Great new avatar, Marye!
  Re: Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by labradors (Great new avatar, Ma...)
Very cool, Marye!

Well, Rob, if this is ANYTHING like the dish Jean posted for review last month, I'm going to HAVE to give it a try. We both LOVED it, and William has requested it again!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by Gourmet_Mom (Very cool, Marye![br...)
Rob, what a lot of work you put into getting this recipe posted! Believe me, it's appreciated.

Now I remember the chicken tinga which I made several years ago as being a bit more "saucy" (I served it in bowls with homemade- not mine!- corn tortillas) but I like that this can be served on tostadas (as well as on sopes).

I am dying to go into Pittsburgh (cabin fever!), maybe next week, and I know that the food co-op sells vegetarian chorizo. You probably don't even want to imagine that! But I've never seen chicken chorizo.

I'm planning on having some friends over in a few weeks, after the driveway becomes passable again, and am thinking that the chicken tinga would be a good start to the menu planning. Thanks, again!

Oh, and what exactly are fresh chipotles? I have used jalapenos which are smoked and packed in adobo, and also the dried, ground chipotles, but have never seen fresh chipotles.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by foodfiend (Rob, what a lot of w...)
"Fresh" chipotles just aren't canned. They are smoked, red jalapeños, and are available without being in the can with the adobo sauce.

Foo! I meant to put in a note just for you about the chorizo, but forgot by the time I got done with the rest of the post. Chorizo is, of course, a kind of spicy Mexican sausage and is made with pork. Since you avoid pork, one of the other options you mentioned should work for you. If not, you could probably leave it out and (at your option/discretion) add some paprika and cayenne.
  Re: Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by labradors ("Fresh" [i]chipotles...)
Rob, IF I am able to get to the Mexican store I may buy some "real" chorizo to make this with. And they might carry fresh chipotles, too.

An idea, maybe I should grow a couple of jalapeno plants this year, keep them on the vine until they turn red, and make my own fresh and dried chipotles. While the snow accumulates (again) outside, I'm perusing the Burpee catalog (with hope that, someday, I will able to see grass in my yard!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by foodfiend (Rob, IF I am able to...)
Still have yet to try this, myself, since I don't have a smoker (yet), but I hope to do this, some day:

Chipotle chiles

Ingredients:
  • 10 Lbs Fresh, red, unblemished jalapeños,
Instructions:
  1. Soak mesquite, scrub oak, hickory or pecan wood chips in water.
  2. Build a charcoal fire and add wood chips to begin smoke.
  3. Place jalapeños in one layer on a rack, but not directly over charcoal or flames (make the charcoal fire off to one side).
  4. Keep smoker less than 200º.
  5. Smoke the peppers until the are brownish in color, dry and crisp.
  Re: Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by labradors (Still have yet to tr...)
Vicci, I'm not home, so don't have access to the recipe, but recently I've been making my bulk chorizo. don't know why you couldn't try it with ground turkey/chicken?? It's very tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tinga de Pollo (Spicy, Mexican Chicken "stew") by cjs (Vicci, I'm not home,...)
Rob, that sounds like a fun project! I think that my brother has a smoker, so I might be able to borrow his (in exchange for some of the resulting chipotles, I am sure).

Jean, I really worry myself sometimes-- I hadn't even thought of making my own chorizo. Maybe because for so many years I saw it in stores and it was made with pork so I just wasn't interested. Can I use that as an excuse? Hmmmm? Can I???

Anyway, thanks so much for the idea. I found this recipe and am wondering how close it may be to yours. It looks good (and almost too easy...)

CHORIZO
(http://www.premiersystems.com/recipes/me...orizo.html)

In a large bowl place:

* 2 Lb. ground pork.
* 3 1/2 tsp. salt
* 6 Tbl. pure ground red chile
* 6-20 small hot dried red chiles; tepine, Thai dragon, pico de gallo or the like, crushed
* 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 Tbl. dry leaf oregano
* 2 tsp. whole cumin seed, crushed
* 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
* 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
* 4 Tbl. good cider or wine vinegar
* 2 1/2 Tbl. water

Have everything cool. Break up the meat, sprinkle evenly with the rest of the ingredients, cut in with two forks until evenly mixed, then knead a bit with your hands until well mixed. At this point the chorizo will keep for at least a couple weeks in your refrigerator, or let it season for a couple days in your refrigerator, then wrap it in small packages, (3-4 oz. is about right for two people), and it will freeze fine for months. It can also be stuffed into casings and smoked like any other pork sausage.
Vicci

my cooking adventures