Erin's Birthday Menu
  Re: (...)
Thank you so much to Sonja to posting this one for me!!!!

To be reviewed March 8th!

Greek Chicken Roulades with white-wine reduction.
Look for chicken breasts that are at least six ounces in weight - - they’ll be big enough to hold the filling when pounded thin and rolled.

Calories: 389
Makes 2 servings
Total time: 30 minutes

12 pitted kalamata olives, divided
3 Tbsp. fresh bread crumbs
3 Tbsp minced oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 Tbsp. minced lemon zest
2 gloves garlic
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each), trimmed of fat
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
1Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. cornstarch

Dice 6 olives; set aside. Process remaining 6 olives, bread crumbs, tomatoes, zest, garlic and oregano in a food processor until minced.

Using a meat mallet, pound chicken between plastic wrap to a thickness of 1/4 inch. Spread olive-tomato filling on chicken. (Text under photo: Spread olive-tomato filling to within 1/4 inch of the edge of pounded chicken breasts.) Roll chicken; secure with toothpicks. (Text under photo: Roll up chicken to enclose filling, starting at one short end. Use toothpicks to secure chicken rolls.)

Sauté roulades in oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, 4 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate. Add onion to the skillet; sauté 2 minutes. Add wine; cook until liquid is reduced by half, 1-2 minutes. Add broth. Bring mixture to a boil; add diced olives and chicken rolls.

Cover skillet; reduce heat. Simmer chicken rolls 10 minutes; remove chicken to a plate. Whisk together lemon juice and cornstarch; stir into sauce in skillet. (Text under photo: Add cornstarch mixture to liquid in the skillet. Simmer, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.) Simmer for 1 minute. Slice rolls; serve with sauce.

Per service with sauce : 389 cal; 10g total fat (2g sat, 6g mono, 2g poly); 102 mg chol; 770 mg sodium; 19g carb (2g fiber, 5g total sugars); 45g protein; 3 mg iron; 64 mg calcium.

Creamy Orzo with feta and sun-dried tomatoes
Start boiling the pasta before making the roulades, then finish the orzo dish while the chicken simmers.

Calories: 293
Makes 2 servings
Total time: 30 minutes

1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup dry orzo pasta (4 oz.)
2 Tbsp. minced oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
2 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese (1 oz.)
1/8 tsp. each kosher salt and ground black pepper

Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in orzo. Return liquid to a boil. Cook orzo, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed, 9 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat.

Stir tomatoes and feta into orzo, mixing until feta melts slightly. Season orzo mixture with salt and pepper. Serve with Chicken Roulades.

Per serving : 293 calories; 5g total fat (3g sat, 2g mono, 0g poly); 16mg chol; 424mg sodium; 47g carb (3g fiber, 4g total sugars); 13g protein; 2mg iron; 87mg calcium .
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Erin's Birthday Menu by esgunn (Thank you so much to...)
Well done, Erin. I'm sleepless here, so I'll bring up the other Birthday menus so that they are together....at least for now...LOL! I figure it will be a reminder to all interested. I hope that others will join in on any or all of the dinners. We love people's opinions here. (GEEZ...it sounds like I work for these people...lol...NOT!)

Although, we have until March 8th to review. I've already busted Theresa's menu in my plea to get Vicci to join in. OIY! But I will join in the rest...especially my own! Baby girl is coming for dinner on the 25th...that's MY dinner review night. She LOVES my experiments! And she's her mother's daughter and loves Italian!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Erin's Birthday Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Well done, Erin. I'...)
Daphne, I don't understand what you mean by "busted Theresa's menu" for me.

I'm in on this one, too. Chicken breast halves of at least 6 ounces? I can't find them that small! I bought some "Amish" chicken breast halves a few weeks ago and they averaged 10 ounces for each half, some were 14 ounces (I'd hate to see the size of that poor bird!).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Erin's Birthday Menu by foodfiend (Daphne, I don't unde...)
Good Grief, Vicci! I agree!

No, what I meant by "busted Theresa's menu" was that I let the cat out of the bag that I had made it....LOL! I don't think I gave too much away.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Erin's Birthday Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Good Grief, Vicci! ...)
I had planned Erin's Birthday Menu for one day this week...likely Tuesday for my birthday. We were going to have MY dinner on Thursday so DD could be here.

Well, she just called and will be coming on Tuesday instead. I don't think I will be able to get flank steak until later this week, if at all. When I gave her the other menus planned for this week, she picked Erin's menu. SOOOOO, I thought I'd make it a little more special and add a Greek Salad to the menu. I've been looking around and the one posted under the Greek Salad with Chicken Thread looked pretty good. If anybody has a better vinaigrette, please let me know.

I had already planned Bill's Sour Cherry Pie for my birthday treat, so we'll have lots of new treats to try. And yes, I'm aware this dessert is not Greek, but sounds DARN good, and it's MY BIRTHDAY!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Erin's Birthday Menu by Gourmet_Mom (I had planned Erin's...)
So, your dinner plans got outflanked.

Haven't tried this for myself, yet, but I found it and sent it to my parents a while back, and they liked it (note: the name is as I found it - not my own opinion):

Absolutely Fabulous Greek/House Dressing

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
  • 1 cup red wine vinegar
Instructions:
  1. In a very large container, mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, onion powder, and Dijon-style mustard.
  2. Pour in the vinegar, and mix vigorously until well blended.
  3. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Erin's Birthday Menu by labradors (So, your dinner plan...)
"outflanked"....very good, Rob!

I like the addition of the Dijon in this one.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Erin's Birthday Menu by Gourmet_Mom ("outflanked"....very...)
right on, sister - it's your birthday!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com