Very Best Cornbread
  Re: (...)
My old friend, Bill (who died recently), made the best cornbread I have ever tasted, he very generously gave me the recipe, but mine was never as good as his. His wife gave me his Cantina Cornbread Skillet a few weeks ago and I finally made his recipe in the skillet last night. Oh my, it needed the skillet to be as good as Bills. We made absolute pigs out of ourselves.
[Image: BillsCornbread.jpg]

Burr's Red Chile Cornbread

3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup a.p. flour
1 T. chile powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking power
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg -- slightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
2 T. melted butter -- cooled slightly
1 can corn or Mexicorn -- (7 oz.)
4 squirts hot pepper sauce -- optional

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Place cornbread skillet in oven and heat while preparing batter.
In a medium-large bowl, toss together cornmeal, flour, chile powder, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Add egg, milk, butter, corn & optional hot pepper sauce.
Stir until just mixed. Remove cornbread skillet from oven and coat with Pam.
Ladle batter into mold.

Bake 10 minutes or until bread is golden brown, tips begin to crack and cake tester comes clean when inserted in center. Remove pan from oven. Carefully lift out muffins and place on a cooling rack. Serve immediately or at room temp.

----
Try it, you'll like it!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Very Best Cornbread by cjs (My old friend, Bill ...)
That looks gorgeous! William LOVES cornbread! Copied and saved for this weekend!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Very Best Cornbread by Gourmet_Mom (That looks gorgeous!...)
Um...I really like tha pan. Does it have it a special name? I mean seriously...how can I make this recipe without this pan?
  Re: Re: Very Best Cornbread by DFen911 (Um...I really like t...)
I know, Denise! Jean already tells us this recipe is not as good without the pan and I cannot find it with my google searches. Maybe Jean needs to share the pan. Sort of like the travelling pants.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Very Best Cornbread by chef_Tab (I know, Denise! Jean...)
I just googled it again and I still can't find the skillet either - and I've tried before. I've seen them over the years but before I had Bill's cornbread.

This is the info on the box for anyone interested -
Cantina Cornbread Skillet
Model No. 09-CST
Boston Warehouse Trading Corp.
A Bentson-West Design
Made in Italy

[Image: cornbreadskillet.jpg]

Don't let not having this skillet keep you from trying the cornbread, it's still very good. You know, the melted butter and honey running down your arms good!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Very Best Cornbread by cjs (I just googled it ag...)
Hmmm... A bunch of the Lodge, cast-iron versions of that on eBay, but not the Cantina one.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Very Best Cornbread by cjs (My old friend, Bill ...)
This looks great, Jean, thanks for sharing this - my family loves "Mexican" cornbread and I think this recipe will fill the bill (except for that pan).
  Re: Re: Very Best Cornbread by (This looks great, Je...)
Thanks, Jean. It may come in handy for the ew=scheduled Chili Tasting. Love the pan!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Very Best Cornbread by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean. It ma...)
Darn it, I have the Cantina nacho server, tortilla warmer, and salsa bowl (with the same raised sun decoration) but did I ever think to buy the skillet at the same time?? Nooooooo!

I do have a cast iron "wedge" skillet and I am going to make this soon because I have been looking for a "wonderful" cornbread recipe, mine is just "good". Thanks for posting Jean!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Very Best Cornbread by foodfiend (Darn it, I have the ...)
I hope you all enjoy the cornbread as much as we do.
www.achefsjourney.com