Thursday Dinner?
  Re: (...)
I'm cooking a "President's Day" dinner for another group to review later.

Lincoln's Scalloped Oysters

Fricassee of chicken
Noodle dumplings
Glazed carrots
Presidental Honey Walnut Salad
cornbread

Cherry Dessert - had that yesterday, pretty good.

What are you all up to for dinner?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Thursday Dinner? by cjs (I'm cooking a "Presi...)
Gee, I want to come to Jean's for dinner......not that I don't think that every day.

We are having leftover Chicken Paprikash(slowcooker book) that I made on Tuesday. It was ok, but I probably won't ever make it again. There are better recipes out there.

Darn you Jean, now I am craving cherry pie.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner? by chef_Tab (Gee, I want to come ...)
I want to eat at Jean's tonight! I've got a couple of things picked out from Cuisine Light, but haven't decided which one to make. One is with beef, the pork tenderloin medallions and chipotle shrimp. We'll see what I feel like when I get home.
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner? by HomeCulinarian (I want to eat at Jea...)
Cherry dessert recipe please
  Re: Thursday Dinner? by cjs (I'm cooking a "Presi...)
We are having the pork ribs from the Slow Cooker cookbook. This will be the third times I've made them since I picked the book up at Costco. My kids love them!
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner? by robtomp (We are having the po...)
Denise, this is a little emabarrassing - I don't work with cornstarch too much (aside from Asian dishes), so I combined a couple of recipes. I used Bill's (Old Bay) recipe for his sour cherry pie which calls for 3 cans of sour cherries, but since I canned some, I used 2 of the sour and 1 pt. of my Bing cherries. I adjusted the sugar because my cherries had a light sugar syrup on them (that part was perfect, not too sweet/not too tart) - but, the 1/2 cup cornstarch his recipe called for evidently was too much to use. (but that comes later... )

For the topping, I used an old cobbler topping that I love to use for my bumbleberry cobblers,

Crust Batter:
2 cups a.p. flour
1 cup sugar + 1 T.
1 T. baking power
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
8 T. butter, unsalted and melted
1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

Combine the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor.
Process to combine; add milk and melted butter, beat until smooth.

Spoon the batter over the cherries making sure you spread it to the edges of the dish (to prevent any excess juice from boiling over).

Sprinkle with the 1 T. sugar and grated nutmeg overall. Bake in 350°F. oven until the crust is brown and crisp on the outside and cooked all the way thru and the berries are bubbling up thru it, about 1 hour.

---

The beautiful cobbler came out of the oven and we let it sit for about 1 hour to cool a little. When we tasted it, the consistency was just wonderful! I divided it up to send 2/3 to neighbors and let the rest cool to have later. Well, now the problem. The cherry filling was so congealed, it was like jelly. I heated it (without the topping) in the microwave to loosen it up and it worked somewhat, but it never came back to the consistency of earlier! darn. I have two choices - just make sure the cobbler is always served 1-2 hours after baking or figure out the amount of cornstarch that really should be used.

Doing the second option, I'm not going to have the wonderful initial consistency, so, Chef Denise - what do you suggest????

The flavors of this are too good, not to work on.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner? by cjs (Denise, this is a li...)
Oh, I didn't see you there, robtomp, welcome to the forums - all of us are enjoying the slow cook book so much!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner? by cjs (Oh, I didn't see you...)
Welcome Robtomp! We're always happy to have new members jump right in and join us. Come back often and you will acquire a ton of recipes and meet some very nice folks.

Dinner tonight is venison stew with mixed veggies and barley. Actually, it's the recipe on the box of Quaker barley. It works out very well with the venison and it comes out very tender. Dessert is banana nut bread. Yummy.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner? by Mare749 (Welcome Robtomp! We...)
Hello and welcome, Robtomp!

Jean, from what I've seen, I think it works out to about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch per cup of cherries. That would mean that a cup of cornstarch would be used for about 16 cups of cherries. If you were only using about six cups, you were probably using about three times what you should have.

On the other hand, I am NOT a big fan of cherry pie, so I can't speak from much experience, so let's see what Denise has to say.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Thursday Dinner? by Mare749 (Welcome Robtomp! We...)
Tonight it's spicy steak and corn tacos with black beans on the side. Fresh local strawberries picked this morning for dessert (if there are any left by then).