Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche
  Re: (...)
I thought this was very interesting - think I'll look into this and maybe share with any of you who don't have one yet. I'm sure the piece I'll have to buy will be large enough for an army of bakers. edited to add: I should have mentioned the below is quoted from a newsletter I recieved -

"I bought a canvas drop cloth at the local Orange Box, sliced out a length, threw it in the wash (to get any sizing and extra fluff off) dried and sewed up the raw edges (after it had shrunk). No bleach required, just normal washing.

Works wonders and I still have a huge drop cloth left for painting.

To prep it for couche work, I have a mix of 50% AP flour and 50% rice flour that I rub into the cloth before each use. Some people use straight up rice flour, others just the AP. The rice flour is like couche Teflon, though. I bought about a pound of the stuff but still have a lot so if you can get it from a bulk store, just get a cup or two, will be plenty for a long time.

So rub a very healthy amount of the flour mix into the fibers and you're set to go. I have a couple of 2" x 2" pine sticks I've cut to fit inside a baking pan which are used to support the outside loaves.

-----
This is right on target. Before I got a piece of real linen couche I used a painter’s drop cloth I purchased at Home Depot. Wash once to remove sizing and any chemicals - but only once! Then rub in flour and rice flour before use. Remember to clean it occasionally with a brush to get excess flour off. It's that simple."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by cjs (I thought this was v...)
Gosh, I didn't have a clue what a "couche" is - I read fast and I read "cloche" just adding the "l" and dropping the "u" -going to be a big hat. So I went to google and found the article that talked about just what you posted. Man, there is so MUCH I don't know about cooking - this was interesting.
  Re: Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by (Gosh, I didn't have ...)
This would be a good thing for me to try here. Thanks!

Also, if you have a lot of rice flour left use it as part of the breading for something you'd like to turn out really crispy. It's like magic.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by labradors (This would be a good...)
We were just at the hardware store and picked up a 5 ft. square piece of drop cloth for $6.00 - can't imagine how much more a couche would be in a kitchen store..... And the dowel rod was only $4.99 - so, I have a project for tomorrow.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by cjs (We were just at the ...)
Who Knew? I had to google it too, never heard of it before! Cool. King Arthur Flour site sells them for $21.95! I will be curious to see how you like it!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by esgunn (Who Knew? I had to ...)
I remember seeing this on the baking site posted a while back and asking about it. How cool to know you can make it from drop cloth! Sadly, I just purchased a metal one that I bake my loaves in, so I don't think I'll need one for now...or do I?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by Gourmet_Mom (I remember seeing th...)
Correct me if I'm wrong someone - the couche is for rising the dough - not baking. I have the 3 baguette pan, but some of the recipes make 4.

Jean can you post a photo of the couche when you get it made. I'm thinking that this would be a good thing.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by Harborwitch (Correct me if I'm wr...)
"the couche is for rising the dough - not baking" I'm pretty sure you're correct. It's just that I use my baking pan, which is similarly shaped for the final rise. That way, I don't have to handle the loaves again. I'll see if I can find the picture from the site where I first saw it.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by Gourmet_Mom ("the couche is for r...)
HERE is an earlier thread where the couche was mentioned. It includes a couple of other links with more pictures and information.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Turning a Drop Cloth into a Couche by labradors ([url=http://www.foru...)
Thanks Labs...I had it, but had to leave to see about dinner. Never mind the DVD page....Go to tutorials and scroll down to the "Shaping the Baguette" tutorial. That's where I saw it!

Edited to add: There's an interesting discussion on the Fresh Loaf about the use of this bread baking tool here.

BTW, if anyone has success for with the Julia Child link posted on there, let me know. I couldn't get it to work and a Google Search didn't help either.