Pepper Mills and Grinders
  Re: (...)
My hubby really likes black pepper. He puts it on everything even before he tastes it. (It kind of irks me, really). But he loves it and that is his thing .

I am sure I mentioned this fiasco before, but in case you all don't remember, here goes:

A few years ago I bought a really sweet pepper grinder from Williams-Sonoma. It was heavy stainless steel, adjustable grind, etc. They sold me on it by telling me about the 'ceramic' grinding gear that actually 'cracked' the pepper instead of pulverizing it, blah, blah, blah. Well $80 later my hubby had a beautiful pepper grinder for his birthday.

A few months later, we had a guest over who decided to take it apart to see how it worked. Well, it never 'worked' the same ever again. I was sooooo mad! But I am over it now (yeah right).

A while ago our fancy, but now quirky, unadjustable grinder went kaput!

Valentines Day is coming and I am thinking about getting another 'cool' pepper grinder for my husband. I have been grinding our pepper in my coffee grinder whenever I need pepper. It is really a pain in the a$$.

Do any of you have a pepper grinder you love, works well, looks nice, or is unique and functional. I don't really want to spend a lot, but I am willing to consider ANYTHING that is a true gem.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by luvnit (My hubby really like...)
I don't see it on the online store, but mine is a simple wooden mill from BB&B. I don't think I payed more than 25 bucks for it. It's adjustable with metal gears. I've had it for about 10 years with only two complaints. I have to use the nut crackers to twist off the top to load it. It leaves a little pepper on the counter where it sits these days.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by luvnit (My hubby really like...)
Laura, I wish I could remember the brand, tho I doubt that is important, but my pepper grinder quit working and I picked one up at TJMaxx that you pump the top to make it grind, instead of twisting and I love it! It is so much easier and this one is adjustable too. I cannot speak to it's longevity because I have only had it about 6 months, but it was less than $10 so I don't care if it only lasts a year or two.
If I did not have an excess amount of peppercorns already, I might have bought one of the disposable models at Sam's or Costco because I am extremely happy with the sea salt/grinder I got there.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by chef_Tab (Laura, I wish I coul...)
I had searched for a good pepper grinder for years. My friends' daughter actually refused to sit between me and her father because all we would talk about was pepper grinders. Someone had given me the electric one with the light, but I really didn't like it and it fell apart one day in the soup pot so I got rid of it. After buying several I finally found one I like - it says WM Bounds LTD on the bottom and has adjustable grinds from fine to coarse. It also says ceramic.
I can't believe a guest would have the hutzbah to take apart your kitchen equipment. I can't remember where I bought it, however.

Hope that helps,

Sally
  Re: Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by lxxf (I had searched for a...)
I love my Peugeot mill, but I think that the mechanism is metal not ceramic.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by foodfiend (I love my Peugeot mi...)
Laura - My hubby does exactly the same thing with pepper! We tease him that he even puts pepper on his ice cream!

My daughter did research and wanted a Peugeot pepper mill. I got her 3! One larger one for ordinary every day pepper, and two smaller ones for specialty peppers. I just looked and can't seem to find the small ones anymore.
[Image: 31R2AK1JQJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg]

We also don't like the pepper coming out on the table and I bought an inverted one at TJ Maxx about a year ago. It's really easy to load and works fine. It doesn't have an adjustable grind, though. Here's what it looks like.
[Image: Flip_180_Black_Pepper_&_Salt.jpg]
  Re: Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by HomeCulinarian (Laura - My hubby doe...)
Bah! Mortar and pestle. Completely adjustable.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by HomeCulinarian (Laura - My hubby doe...)
Sally! -I looked up the WM Bound Ltd website, and THAT was our old pepper grinder! We had the stainless steel model. Williams-Sonoma doesn't sell it anymore (at least at their website). Perhaps some stores still carry it.

Anyway, I am not really convinced that the ceramic v. metal really make that much of a difference.

Now I don't remember who said suggested the Peugeot (I have CRS)-

I have also heard great things about the Peugeot pepper grinders. They have been on my radar for a few months.

I just LOVE the idea of 1 large grinder for every day, and one or two small ones for specialty peppers. OMG my hubby would LOVE that! He'd be the King of Pepper!

I stumbled across a Vic Firth/Mario Batalli pepper grinder last night. I love the Vic Firth design, and I like Mario Batalli, but in my experience whenever a celeb endorses a product, I am usually disappointed.

Perhaps I will research Peugeot today. If anyone can weigh in on the Mario Batalli line, I'd be interested.

I know this is a lot of work for a pepper grinder, but pepper is really a BIG thing for him. He is such a wonderful husband and father, an ordinary pepper mill just won't due.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by labradors (Bah! Mortar and pes...)
I've had this one since the mid-80s - Jeff Smith had one on his show (when he was everyone's darling....) and I just loved it. It's really a spice grinder.

[Image: peppergtrinder.jpg]

you can still get them online, somewhere.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pepper Mills and Grinders by cjs (I've had this one si...)
I think I've seen those at Cost Plus World Market. I use a Kuhn Rikon inverted one and I really like it. No mess and this one you can change the grind.
Shannon