The Scallion Pancakes
  Re: (...)
I guess I'm the last one to make the pancakes, but there is an error in Labs printing of the recipe-

Scallion Pancakes
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (not 1 cup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) toasted sesame seeds
2 cups (16 ounces) boiling water
2 to 3 bunches (5 to 6 ounces total) scallions, thinly sliced (use all but the very ends of the green)

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the boiling water, stirring till everything is well-combined, then stir in the sliced scallions.

Heat a griddle or skillet until a drop of water skitters across the surface. Grease it lightly with vegetable oil or non-stick cooking spray. Using a generous 1/4 cup for each pancake, drop the batter onto the hot griddle, spreading it out a bit as you do. Cook each pancake until it's browned and set at the edges before turning it over to finish cooking. Place the cakes on a baking sheet in a 300°F oven to keep them warm until you're ready to serve them. Or cool them on a rack, and reheat them in the oven or on a griddle. Cut the cakes into triangles, and serve them with the stew. Yield: 1 dozen 3 1/2-inch pancakes.

----
Bless his heart, Billy screwed up the recipe when he typed it up. I couldn't figure how they called for 1 cup of flour and it was going to weight 8 1/2 oz..... doesn't compute

Anyway, I've got the right amounts now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: The Scallion Pancakes by cjs (I guess I'm the last...)
nice catch Jean! We will keep you around. Who cares if you usually don't know what day it is.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: The Scallion Pancakes by chef_Tab (nice catch Jean! We ...)
"Who cares if you usually don't know what day it is." When I retire, I'm not going to CARE what day it is!

Regarding the pancakes...I knew something wasn't right, but I thought it was the amount of scallion. Normally, when weights are given, I will weigh it out...the scale was right there. Oh well!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The Scallion Pancakes by Gourmet_Mom ("Who cares if you us...)
LOL! I never even noticed, since I copied and pasted the recipe from the King-Arthur website, rather than what Billy had typed, for better formatting.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: The Scallion Pancakes by cjs (I guess I'm the last...)
I haven't even heard of these yet! Very interesting. My hubby is also a HUGE fan of scallions.

Now in the recipe it says to serve with 'the stew'. Is there a recipe for that?

These are definitely on the list of things to cook!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: The Scallion Pancakes by luvnit (I haven't even heard...)
This is part of Lab's Birthday Dinner Review up tomorrow. It goes with the Asian-Spiced Pork Stew .
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The Scallion Pancakes by Gourmet_Mom (This is part of Lab'...)
Better get cracking, Laura: the review is due tomorrow! LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: The Scallion Pancakes by labradors (Better get cracking,...)
Oh, that's funny, Theresa!!

I'm sure glad I don't have to keep quiet long - hurry up Labs, it's 5:55 a.m. on review day!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com