What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30??
  Re: (...)
What are you having for dinner???

(I have no idea yet.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by cjs (What are you having ...)
Inlaws are coming to town so we are dining out. We are going to this wonderful little brewpub in town called Ottos. They make a double IPA to die for. They will only serve you two per day......they are that potent.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by chef_Tab (Inlaws are coming to...)
I have no clue. It's wet and nasty here...supposed to turn VERY cold. So a soup or stew is probably in order. I think I'll look through the slow cooker book. I wanted to go to Wilmington today, but it's just too nasty.

Theresa, what's a double IPA?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by Gourmet_Mom (I have no clue. It'...)
Daphne, I made the beef stew from Cuisine Lite again yesterday. I mentioned before to reduce the thyme to 1 tsp and added a little hot sauce and s and p'd the flour and with those changes it was really good. Could hit your spot on a cold rainy day.
Shannon
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by Dismc (Daphne, I made the b...)
Shannon, is the recipe posted here somewhere? I still haven't gotten to the city to get my copy. It was in the plans for today, but....

Update....William is making his soup out at the camp today for lunch, I think. Since it looks like we will be loosing power...freezing rain is already accumulating on trees...we will likely have that for dinner as well. Wish me luck. The last time this happened, the big old pine trees that canopy my house dropped large limbs everywhere....sounded like gunshots going off...very scary waiting to hear if one hit the house.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by Gourmet_Mom (Shannon, is the reci...)
Here you go:

Savory Beef Stew with Celery, Carrots and Potatoes

Calories 398
Makes 6 servings (9 cups)

1 2-2 1/4 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into small chunks
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 cups diced onion
2 Tbs minced garlic
6 cups low sodium beef broth, divided
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes
1 cup diced celery
1 Tbs dried thyme ( I use 1 tsp)
1 Tbs tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup cold water
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

Toss beef chunks with flour. (I season the flour with s & p). Heat 1 Tbs oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat.

Sear beef in 2 batches until it's browned on all sides, adding another 1 Tbs oil as needed. Remove beef to a plate and cover.

Add remaining 1 Tbs oil to the pot; saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes.

Deglaze pot with 1/2 cup broth, scraping up any browned bits. Add remaining 5 1/2 cups broth, carrots, potatoes, celery, thyme, tomato paste, bay leaves, Worcestershire, and beef; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cover pot. Let stew simmer until beef is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.

Whisk together water and cornstarch; stir into stew. Boil stew 1 minute. Season stew with salt and pepper.

CuisineLite
Shannon
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by Dismc (Here you go:[br][br]...)
Thanks Shannon! I'll try to get to the store, but this may have to wait...see my update on the previous post. OIY!
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by Gourmet_Mom (Shannon, is the reci...)
Daphne, a double IPA is basically an even hoppier IPA. IPA stands for India Pale Ale. Apparantly back in the day of "***** only" travel from England to India, the English sailors complained that the beer went bad during the voyage. Some genious figured out that by adding more hops and alcohol to the beer, the beer could withstand the trip. The result was a very "hoppy" and strong brew. Many of the microbreweries make their own IPA's and they are by far my favorite. Some even make a triple IPA. Ottos double IPA is called the "Double D" and the label on the bottle has a bra on it. It makes me giggle.....even more after drinking one.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by chef_Tab (Daphne, a double IPA...)
Now that's funny! Thanks for the explanation.
Daphne
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Saturday, 1/30?? by chef_Tab (Daphne, a double IPA...)
That's too funny, Theresa - I had never heard of that. We are having sort of the same weather as Daphne - but are planning to grill some fish on a plank - don't know yet what kind - off to the grocer right now -