OUCH!!!!
  Re: (...)
I got an email from Joan (Lovestahoe) describing a kitchen disaster - has anyone heard of this?????

"Wanted to call you but know you are keeping busy... Had a mishap in the kitchen while making coconut shrimp!! A new lesson for me: One cannot mix vegetable oil with canola oil!! I filled the pot with vegetable oil and didn't have enough so poured in some Canola oil (after it was hot)!! Geez, you would have thought I added water as oil started flying all over the kitchen!! Was amazing to me!! Wanted to call you but it was too late. If you have never had this experience, don't go there!! Ha"

I don't like canola so this isn't likely to happen to me - but . . . does anyone know why this happened?????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: OUCH!!!! by Harborwitch (I got an email from ...)
I wonder if the vege oil was hot when see added cold oil to it - if so, I'm not surprised, if the canola was added in any large quantity.

If the oil was not hot, I can't imagine that happening - I've combined a lot of oil for the same reason (not having enough of one type) and have never had a problem. huh.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OUCH!!!! by cjs (I wonder if the vege...)
I also think that the problem must have been adding room temp oil to hot oil rather than mixing different oils. See? This kind of mishap is why I never deep-fry!!! Has nothing at all to do with my lack of control around fried foods...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: OUCH!!!! by Harborwitch (I got an email from ...)
It would HAVE to be that there was a temp difference and the new oil was very cold or refrigerated when added or perhaps her oil was old and had deteriorated.

A lot of vegetable oil actually contain canola oil and other types of oils too. Vegetable oil is a very generic term. I usually buy canola oil because of its light flavor and relatively high smoke point, similar to olive oil.

I would be curious as to the temperature of the oil she introduced to the pot of hot oil. Yow! I bet that got her attention! What a mess!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OUCH!!!! by cjs (I wonder if the vege...)
Well she said "after it was hot". Geeze I always check my oil level before I turn the fryer on.

I'll have to ask her about that. We usually buy peanut oil for frying - I love it.
  Re: Re: OUCH!!!! by foodfiend (I also think that th...)
Quote:

Has nothing at all to do with my lack of control around fried foods...

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: OUCH!!!! by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Geez, that's scary! Like everyone else, I have mixed oils with no problem, so I, too, would have to conclude it was the difference in temperature.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OUCH!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Geez, that's scary! ...)
Oh yeah! Canola has a smoke point of like 435-464 (depending on type) and vegetable oil is like 375 so by the time the canola comes to temp the vegetable will be on fire.
  Re: Re: OUCH!!!! by Gourmet_Mom (Geez, that's scary! ...)
Quote:

Geez, that's scary! Like everyone else, I have mixed oils with no problem, so I, too, would have to conclude it was the difference in temperature.

Absolutly, the difference in temp. and the volume of oil caused the reaction.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: OUCH!!!! by DFen911 (Oh yeah! Canola has ...)
I talked to Joan last night, they use a "fry daddy" fryer so I don't know that she could get the canola hot enough - but she said she had just turned the fryer on when she realized she needed more oil and added the veg. oil.

My deep fryers are only used with peanut oil - I might use veg oil in a skillet to fry - maybe olive oil and a little butter.