Quinoa Recipes
  Re: (...)
Hi, I am finally going to try Quinoa. Sam's started caring it, and I bought a bag. Do you all have a favorite recipe? Or remember any C@H recipes? I found one on the online index but that was all. Haven't had time to look through the special books - sure wish they would add those recipes to the index.

Thanks.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Quinoa Recipes by esgunn (Hi, I am finally go...)
Quinoa is so good! Do you know if it's the coated kind or not? Likely it's not, but if it is, you need to soak it for a half hour or so. Other than that, all I do is boil some chix broth, a bit of salt and maybe some butter, then cover and cook on low, sort of like rice, maybe 20 mins.
We use it in most any menu in place of rice. Add chopped onion and/or frozen peas while boiling, some soy sauce, stuff like that.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Quinoa Recipes by farnfam (Quinoa is so good! ...)
"We use it in most any menu in place of rice." - I agree, we do too,

I love it cooked in cornstock also, with celery, carrots, onions, garlic, red pepper,

or Quinoa and rice together -

* Exported from MasterCook *

QUINOA AND WILD RICE PILAF*****

1/2 cup wild rice -- prepared as directed
1 cup Quinoa -- prepared as directed
-----
2 scallions -- sliced on the bias
1 clove garlic -- finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger -- grated or finely chopped
1/4 cup pistachio nuts -- coarsely chopped, external salt rubbed off
1/4 cup cranberries -- coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 dash Chinese 5 spice
Salt (optional) and freshly ground pepper to taste
Topping:
2 Tablespoons Feta cheese

Combine wild rice and quinoa in a bowl.
Add the rest of the ingredients and combine well; cover and warm in microwave.

Also very good as a cold or room temperature lunch.

note: served w/hawaiian beef strips, oven roasted asparagus (olive oil & balsamic) and topped w/orange slices

Description:
I topped this with a little Feta cheese and it gave it just the right oomph!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Haven't made this one yet, but I keep coming back to it to try...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Quinoa-Stuffed Poblano Chiles

Recipe By :Cooking Light YEAR: 1996 ISSUE: Jul/Aug PAGE: 122
Serving Size : 4

4 poblano chiles -- 5"
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa -- * see note
Cooking Spray
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeno pepper
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons unsalted pumpkin seed kernels
1/2 cup minced green onions
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
or
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese -- shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Cut chiles in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. Set aside. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 13 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Set aside. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium- high heat until hot. Add bell peppers, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add pumpkin seed kernels; saute 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in quinoa, green onions, cilantro, soy
sauce, and lime juice. Spoon 1/3 cup quinoa mixture into each chile half. Pour tomato juice into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; place stuffed chiles in dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over chiles; bake, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes or until cheese melts and chiles are thoroughly heated. Spoon tomato juice over
chiles.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Quinoa cooks up like rice and can be found next to the rice in your supermarket. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 stuffed chile halves).

---
\
You may be the impetus for me finally making the poblano one!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quinoa Recipes by cjs ("We use it in most a...)
I substitute quinoa for rice more often than not. I rinse the heck out of it in a fine mesh strainer because when you soak it, it seems you lose a lot. You will notice the water kind of bubbles at first(like soap suds) I just rinse until clear. I invert the strainer over the pan and tap tap to release every nugget from the strainer. Once wet, it is very sticky and each piece is so tiny. I simmer uncovered, even though directions say cover, because for me it cooks quickly and the liquid is still there. Sometimes I just love fresh grated parmesan and a bit of butter stirred in.

I cannot remember where I saw this, but I have been meaning to try it with fruit and such for breakfast.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Quinoa Recipes by esgunn (Hi, I am finally go...)
We have also started eating quinoa. My husband fixes an oatmeal recipe we found in a magazine called Clean Eating. I love this magazine. The recipes are really great with fresh ingredients, low in fat, high in fiber and protein and just beautiful to look at too!

I ran around for a half a day looking for a newstand that carried this magazine. I bought a copy for myself and my mother. I finally just subscribed to it. Here are some recipes in the current Jan 2010 issue:

• Rustic Genovese Basil Pesto Pasta
  • Meatless burgers
  • Apple Grilled Cheese with Spelt bread
  • Spaghetti with Quinoa and Goat cheese meatballs
  • Roasted yellow beet salad
  • Brussel Sprouts with Spicy Almond glaze
  • Bulgur Waldorf Salad
  • Honey Almond Sunflower Loaf (Almond meal; buckwheat and quinoa flours)
  • Portabella Mushroom Stroganoff
  • Wild Mushrooma and Tamale Pie

These all look like beautiful recipes that people on this forum would love to cook. This issue features at least two chefs and their recipes. One is a Hell's Kitchen winner and the other is Chef Jason Gaskins who has a restaurant in San Francisco called Roots.

IMHO this magazine does exactly what I have been looking for. It uses real, fresh ingredients to make food bright, interesting to eat and look at, and helful without feeling like you are missing something. Other than one recipes calling for low-fat cheese, I have not found any (so far) that simply substitutes fat free mayo, etc. to make the recipes more healthful. They also take the time to explain what special ingredients are and why you should add them to your diet. And NOT in a boring way.

Sweet Inca Porridge

Serves 4

Quinoa (pronounced “keen-wah”) is an ancient cereal that was eaten by the Incas centuries ago. It was so revered that they called it the “Mother Grain.” Quinoa is so high in protein (13 percent) that the United Nations classified it as a supercrop, giving this tiny nondescript grist the nutritional clout of an Olympic athlete. Quinoa is also a rich source of calcium, iron, phosporus, B vitamins and vitamin E. It has more calcium than milk.

Quinoa is also high in lysine, and essential amino acid that aids the body in tissue growth and repair.

1 cup quinoa grains, soaked
1 cup rolled oats, not instant
1/4 tsp sea salt
3 cups water
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Place first four ingredients in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Cover. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes. Add remaining four ingredients and mix together well. Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for five minutes. Serve.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Quinoa Recipes by luvnit (We have also started...)
Laura, an 'anon' was looking at the Quinoa thread that lead me to this post of yours from back aways. Do you happen to still have the magazine, Clean Eating, you mentioned in the above post?

"Spaghetti with Quinoa and Goat cheese meatballs" sounds so interesting. would love to see the recipe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Quinoa Recipes by cjs (Laura, an 'anon' was...)
Let me go see if I can find that for you. It sure does sound good!

Okay I am back. I love this magazine, but I am not getting it anymore. I will have to find out why.

Here is your recipe:

Spaghetti and Quinoa Goat-cheese meatballs

Serves 4
12 meatballs

1 1/2 lb plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and cored
1/2 cup sweet onion, finely diced
3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp garlic minced
1 sprig rosemary
1 tbsp EVOO, plus additional for coating hands
1/2 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped, (divided)
2 tbsp soft goat cheese
1 tbsp flaxseeds, ground
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
8 oz uncooked whole wheat spaghetti

1. Preheat oven to 400. Line a rimmed sheet with parchment paper
2. Toss tomatoes, onion, sliced garlic, and rosemary in oil and place tomatoes, cut-side down, in a large non-reactive baking dish. Roast in over until tomatoes are soft, about 1 hour. Peel off tomato skins using tongs or fingers and discard along with rosemary sprig. Place tomato mixture in a blender or food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Set aside

3. Meanwhile, place beef, cooked quinoa, half of parsley, cheese, flaxseeds, minced garlic, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until combined (Can also be done in a bowl by hand). Lightly coat clean hands with oil and form mixture into 12 meatballs, each about 2 tbsp in size. Put on baking sheets and put into oven about 10 minutes before the tomatoes are done. The meatballs will take about 10 minutes

4. While meatballs and tomatoes cook, boil pasta according to package instructions. Divide spaghetti between four plates. Spoon about 1/2 cup sauce and 3 meatballs. Garnish with remaining parsley.
Calories: 390
Fat: 9g
Sat Fat: 2.5g
Carbs: 59g
Fiber: 11g
Sugars: 9g
Protein: 24g
Sodium: 310 mg
Cholesterol: 35m
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Quinoa Recipes by luvnit (Let me go see if I c...)
Oh, that does sound wonderful - I hope Erin sees this, I think she has looked for Quinoa recipes a couple of time.

Thanks.It is copied!!
www.achefsjourney.com