Five-Jewel-Rice-Stuffed Chicken Breast -Corrected
  Re: (...)
Hope no one was fouled up with the error in the previous typing up of this recipe.

Five-Jewel-Rice-Stuffed Chicken Breast with hot sour sauce
Issue #79, page25 – makes 4 servings

The stuffing keeps the chicken moist even through roasting, making this dish a good choice for a dinner party.

For the Rice:
2/3 cup vegetable broth
1/3 cup dry short-grain rice such as Arborio
2 T. toasted slivered almonds, chopped
2 T. diced water chestnuts
2 T. chopped scallions
1 T. minced garlic
1/4 tsp each: kosher salt and ground black pepper

For the Chicken:
2 T. each: white wine vinegar and Hoisin sauce
1 T. toasted sesame oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (8oz. each)
2 T. vegetable oil
1 T. sesame seeds (opt.)

For the Sauce:
1/3 cup red plum jam
2 T. white wine vinegar
1 T. ketchup
1 tsp. chili garlic paste or chili garlic sauce*

Preheat oven for 400°. Coat a baking sheet or broiler pan with nonstick spray.

Bring broth to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; add rice. Cover pan; reduce heat to low and simmer rice for 20 minutes.

Remove rice from heat. Stir in almonds water chestnuts, scallions, garlic, salt & pepper.

Combine 2 T. vinegar, Hoisin, and sesame oil in a small bowl.

Cut a pocket in each chicken breast. Spoon about 1/3 cup rice mixture into each pocket. Seal opening with a toothpick, if needed.

Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Place chicken in pan, smooth side down; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. (do not brown on 2nd side)

Place each chicken breast on the baking sheet, raw side down. Baste chicken with Hoisin mixture; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Roast chicken 20 minutes or until stuffing (not chicken) reaches165° on an instant-read thermometer.

Heat jam, 2 T. vinegar, ketchup, and chili garlic paste in a small skillet over medium heat. Bring sauce to a boil, whisking often; remove from heat. Serve each chicken breast with 2 T. of the sauce.

*C@H note: If you can’t find chili garlic paste for the sauce, use Tabasco or other hot-pepper sauce.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Five-Jewel-Rice-Stuffed Chicken Breast -Corrected by cjs (Hope no one was foul...)
Jean - is the recipe correct in the magazine? We made it and thought it was great.
  Re: Re: Five-Jewel-Rice-Stuffed Chicken Breast -Corrected by HomeCulinarian (Jean - is the recipe...)
Yes, it is, I screwed it up when I typed it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com