Vegetarian chili?
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe? There are so many out there, but I have tried several in the past and none of them "do it" for me. However, friends are coming to dinner on Friday and one is a vegetarian so I thought I would go on another quest.

TIA!

ps- It has to contain beans, not just veggies. I have a huge pot of pinto beans on the stove, and there are cooked black beans in the freezer/
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Vegetarian chili? by foodfiend (Does anyone have a t...)
I find vegetarians to be too tough and tasteless for use in chili.

Seriously: There are only rare occasions where I can tolerate beans in chili, although I tolerate it much better when people use pinto beans instead of kidney beans. Since I am, otherwise in the camp that says, "If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans," I don't have any personally tested recipes for vegetarian chili, but a number of Crock Pot or copycat files have all kinds of chili recipes, so if nobody else has a tried-and-true recipe to offer, we could try checking out one of those.

For a side dish, how about a recipe I KNOW is vegetarian (but not vegan), since it came from Vegetarian Times magazine (yes, I actually bought this issue!). These are REALLY good, and I can confirm that it is a recipe I have made MANY times, and have even posted here, before.

Spicy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
(Makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 4 medium Sweet Potatoes
  • 4 tbs Butter
  • 1/8 tsp (or to taste) ground cumin
  • Salt to taste
  • 6 oz. Pepper-Jack cheese, grated
  • 1 large Red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 large Yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 cup Sour cream
  • 2 tbs Freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tbs White onions, minced
  • 2 tbs Cilantro, finely chopped
Instructions:
  1. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a large baking pan lined with foil. Bake in a 350° F oven for about 1 1/2 hrs, or until soft in the center. Remove from oven, but leave oven on. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop potato flesh into a bowl. Place jackets back onto baking pan.
  2. Mash the butter, cumin and salt into the potatoes, leaving them chunky.
  3. Scoop back into potato jackets, distributing mixture evenly.
  4. Sprinkle the peppers and the cheese onto top of potatoes, reserving some peppers for final garnish. Bake in oven until the cheese melts.
  5. Mix together the sour cream and lime juice.
  6. Garnish finished potatoes with the white onions, remaining peppers, cilantro, and sour cream. Serve hot.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Vegetarian chili? by labradors (I find vegetarians t...)
I made a black bean chili quite a while ago and it was good, but I don't know that it was good enough for company...so will wait to hear from others.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Vegetarian chili? by foodfiend (Does anyone have a t...)
Vicci, I don't have a recipe but I have a couple of suggestions. I would imagine that a black bean based "chili", flavored with chile powder, cumin, and Mexican oregano would be improved by mashing about 1/3 of the beans into a paste and stirring in to thicken. I also believe the flavor would be improved by adding some masa mix dissolved in water.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Vegetarian chili? by Old Bay (Vicci, I don't have ...)
Pretty much how my recipe is Bill. Well, since two of us are thinking the same way, here's the one I made, Vicci
Black Bean Chili

1 T olive oil
2 Medium onions -- chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 jalapeno chilies -- seeded & chopped
2 cans (15 oz. ea.) black beans, -- rinsed & drained (or 4 cups cooked/approx. 1 lb. dry)
2 cups vegetable stock
1 teaspoon oregano -- dried
1 teaspoon cumin -- ground
Salt & freshly grd. pepper to taste
Cilantro, chopped for garnish
Lime wedges for garnish

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over moderate heat.
Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeno and saute till tender but not brown, about 5 min.

Add the remaining ingred. & bring to a boil.
Remove from heat & mash the beans w/a fork till the desired consistency is reached (or pulse a few times in a Cuisinart)
Put back on stove in same skillet & boil away some liquid til almost the thicknes you want (will thicken up as cools).
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vegetarian chili? by cjs (Pretty much how my r...)
After looking through a bunch of recipes, I found that most just CONTAINED beans, in addition to the meat, and weren't vegetarian. The two recipes from the Vegetarian Times website relied upon "vegetarian crumbles" or tempeh, so they also weren't just pinto beans.

Eventually, I found the following recipe that actually sounds as if even I may like it. It's not one that I've tested, but seems to be worth a try (adjusting the heat, as needed for your guests).

Chili - Pinto Bean (Spicy)
12 Servings

Ingredients
  • 2 lbs. Pinto Beans, dry
  • 12 C Water, boiling
  • 1 C Water
  • 6-8 Garlic, cloves
  • 2-3 Chipotle Peppers, chopped
  • 2 lb. can Tomatoes, crushed, or 1 lb. each of crushed and whole
  • 1 - 6-oz. can Tomato Paste
  • 1 Onion, large, diced (about 2 cups)
  • 1 lb. Frozen Corn
  • 1 Bell Pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup Molasses (unsulphured)
  • 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder
  • 2 Tbsp. Cumin
  • 1 Tbsp. Basil, dried leaf
  • 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper powder (cayenne; optional for added "heat")
Instructions:
  1. The night before, turn the slow-cooker on to "high".
  2. Add 12 cups of boiling water.
  3. Wash and clean the beans and place in the slow cooker.
  4. Cook on "high" until you're ready for bed, and then turn down the heat to "low" for cooking overnight.
  5. First thing in the morning, turn the slow-cooker heat up to "high."
  6. Place 1 cup of water into a blender and add the garlic and chipotle peppers.
  7. Cover and blend until smooth.
  8. Remove the cover and pour the contents into a microwaveable covered dish and heat to boiling.
  9. Add to the slow cooker.
  10. Prepare all the other ingredients and preheat them in a covered dish in the microwave oven before adding to the slow-cooker.
  11. Cook on "high" for another 4 to 6 hours. If desired, the slow-cooker can be left unattended on "low" for 8 to 10 hours. Add water as necessary.
  12. Serve the chili either as is, or over brown rice or baked potatoes.
Notes:
  • This recipe is for use in a 6-1/2 quart, slow-cooker (crock-pot). If using a smaller slow cooker, cut the recipe in half.
  • Chili goes great with a large tossed salad, and it's great as a leftover.
  • Leftover chili can used to make a chili salad.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Vegetarian chili? by labradors (After looking throug...)
Here are the two that I like:
Good luck!

Jane's Vegeterian Chili
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup)

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups water, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese, (optional)
Preparation
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add 3 cups water and next 8 ingredients (through cannellini beans), stirring to combine.

Combine remaining cup of water and tomato paste in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Stir tomato paste mixture into bean mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheese, if desired.

Nutritional Information
Calories:276 (11% from fat)
Fat:3.5g (sat 0.3g,mono 1.3g,poly 1g)
Protein:12.7g
Carbohydrate:49.7g
Fiber:14.7g
Cholesterol:0.0mg
Iron:4.2mg
Sodium:587mg
Calcium:107mg
Cooking Light, JANUARY 2005

Moosewood Red, Green, Black and Gold Chili
It's Moosewood, so it's all vegetarian, however if you want to add some lean beef or some lean turkey, I believe both would work well with this recipe.
So.. onto the recipe!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup bulghir
1/2 cup hot water
28 oz. undrained canned tomatoes (Please note.. I used crushed tomatoes. I despise whole tomatoes )

2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
3 cups chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 generous teaspoon ground cumin
1 generous teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce, or 1/4 tabelspoon cayenne (I used the cayenne)

2 green bell peppers, chopped
2 cups fresh or frozen cut corn
14 ounce can cooked black beans, drained
14 ounce can cooked red kidney beans, drained
salt to taste

Optional:
Grated Chessar or Monterey Jack Cheese (I used 2% Milk Sharp Cheddar)
Chopped Fresh Cilantro

Place the bulghur, hot water, and abotu a cup of the juice from the canned tomatoes in a small saucepan (Note: Since I used crushed tomatoes, it was mostly water with a little of the liquid off the top)
Cover and Bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently
While the bulghur cooks, heat the olive oil in a large pan and saute' the onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and tabasco or cayenne
When the onions are soft, stir in the bell peppers and saute' for 2 to 3 minute more.
Chop the tomatoes right in the can (unless they're crushed) and add them to the pan. Stir in the corn and beans.
Heat thoroughly on low heat.
Taste the bulghur. When it is cooked but still chewy, add it to the pan with it's liquid.
Cover and simmer for a few minutes for the flavors to meld. Add salt to taste.
Serve plain or topped with grated cheese and fresh cilantro (Trust me: use both the cilantro and the cheese! )
For an 8 oz. serving, 190 calories (not including optional cheese), 6.8 g protein, 5.8 g fat, 30.4 g carbohydrate
  Re: Re: Vegetarian chili? by alexsmom (Here are the two tha...)
As if you don't have enough input already! I have not made this, but have made quite a few recipes from this site that Labs brought to our attention a while back. It is now one of my "go-to" sites.

http://www.drgourmet.com/recipes/pantrym...hili.shtml

Also, vegetarian friends all love the Moosewood cookbook so that would probably be a good bet too.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Vegetarian chili? by chef_Tab (As if you don't have...)
I have Moosewood cookbooks - can look there if you want, Vicci.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vegetarian chili? by chef_Tab (As if you don't have...)
Wow. The printer is really working overtime now! Thanks so much everyone. I'm sure that eventually I will use all of these recipes, but now I have to choose one...

Labs, I grew up having beans in chili so it just seems "natural" to add them (to me, anyway). It's difficult to get a substantial dish, with sufficient protein, if you don't use some sort of meat. And guess what? I've made those stuffed sweet potatoes several times. I subscribed to Vegetarian Times for several years. And I agree, they are delicious.

Okay, back to the chili (although Bill is probably having a difficult time thinking of chili as not containing meat, being Texan and all...) I've printed the recipes and am taking them out to the kitchen to sort through. Hopefully I will have all lingredients on hand for at least one of them! And I'm going to shovel the snow off of my coldframe, although I doubt if the cilantro is still growing in it.

THANKS, EVERYONE!

Jean, thanks for your offer but I'm having a difficult enough time trying to decide...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com