Mushroom fair
  Re: (...)
HI,

Yesterday I went to the annual mushroom fair in Santa cruz. Was really interesting to see. One vendor sold oregonian white and black truffles. Of course I could not resist and got a few. Has anybody ever cooked anything with fresh truffles? The smell is fantastic and I know that you use just a little bit but anybody has a recipe they want to share?

Thanks
  Re: Mushroom fair by piano226 (HI,[br][br]Yesterday...)
Hi Marina,
I don't have a recipe, and it's not likely I'd ever find truffles here (in the White Wilderness)but, I will still be watching this discussion!!
Mushroom Fair sounds so wonderful, you are so lucky!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by farnfam (Hi Marina,[br]I don'...)
I am so excited. I am joining that fungus society. My first foray will be next Saturday. I cannot wait. Will tell you guys all about it when it happends. I used to pick mushrooms in the forest back in Russia but I was a kid and I am afraid to do it here except of course chantrells that are way too obvious.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by piano226 (I am so excited. I a...)
Now I'm even more jealous!!!!!

There is a mushroom here that grows under fir trees. James, born here, can identify it. I think it's only good for one day, then it releases the spores and does like a blown up umbrella. We get that one if we can get there in time.
I'll say again You are soooo lucky
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by piano226 (I am so excited. I a...)
Oh my I would love something like. All those different mushrooms = mushroom ragu

Black Truffle Risotto -

1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, finely diced

1 pound risotto

2 cup white wine

6 cups freshly made or store-bought chicken stock

1/2 cup truffle butter

1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano

Freshly ground black pepper

Kosher salt

2 ounces black truffles

Ingredients for truffle butter

1 tablespoon chopped black truffle

4 sticks unsalted butter

Directions In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, mix the butter and truffles for about 1 to 2 minutes.

In a flat bottom saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of the olive oil. Add the onion and sweat until translucent. Add the risotto and make sure it is thoroughly coated with the mixture while stirring constantly. Add the white wine and reduce until dry. Add half of the chicken stock to cover the risotto, and stir constantly until the stock is gone.

Repeat with the remaining stock until you have used up all of the liquid and the rice is tender but still chewy, about 20 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of truffle butter and 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan.

Presentation: On individual plates, place some of the risotto to cover the plate. Spoon the leg and vegetable ragout in the center of the plate. Place the sliced chicken breast on top of the vegetables and shave some black truffles on top.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by DFen911 (Oh my I would love s...)
I found this recipe recently and I'm so anxious to make it - of course, I'll have to use truffle salt and truffle oil to get my 'truffle fix' - I'm with Denise, I'm so green-eyed I can hardly stand it. Have fun.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Uova da Raviolo (Ravioli with an Egg Inside)

Recipe By :Mario Batallli

1/2 small white or black truffle -- shaved
1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano -- grated, plus more for garnishing pasta
1/2 cup fresh sheep's milk ricotta
1/2 cup spinach -- blanched, drained and chopped
1 pinch nutmeg
Salt and white pepper to taste
1 recipe basic pasta dough -- recipe follows
7 fresh eggs
12 tablespoons butter -- melted and kept warm

In a non-reactive bowl, combine 1/2 the truffle shavings, the Parmigiano, the ricotta and the spinach, mix well, and season to taste with nutmeg, salt and white pepper. Set aside.

Roll out the pasta dough to the thinnest setting on a pasta rolling machine. From the thin pasta sheet, cut 12 circles with a 6-inch diameter. Set 6 of the circles on a sheet tray dusted with flour, cover with plastic wrap and set aside.

In the center of each of the remaining 6 circles, mound an equal portion of the ricotta mixture. With the back of a small ladle or spoon, hollow out a well in the center of each mound.

Carefully break the eggs, 1 at a time, into a small bowl, and transfer 1 yolk and a bit of white into the center of each well. It is imperative that the yolk remain unbroken.

Cover each filled circle of pasta with an unfilled circle, and press the edges together with fingers to seal.

Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Gently, using a wide spatula, lower each ravioli into the water to cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the water and place gently into a 12 to14-inch saute pan with the remaining butter, shave the remaining truffle over, add a generous grating of Parmigiano-Reggiano and carefully put 1 on each plate.

BASIC PASTA DOUGH

3* to 4 cups flour

4 eggs

1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil

Mound 3 1/2 cups of the flour in the center of a large wooden cutting board. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and the olive oil. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and oil and begin to incorporate the flour, starting with the inner rim of the well.

As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up from the base of the mound to retain the well shape. The dough will come together when half of the flour is incorporated.

Start kneading the dough with both hands, using the palms of your hands. Once you have a cohesive mass, remove the dough from the board and scrape up and discard any leftover bits. Lightly reflour the board and continue kneading for 6 more minutes. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Roll or shape as desired.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by cjs (I found this recipe ...)
Oh, Jean that sounds out of this world wonderful! If only I knew where to get some truffles. I bet they are wildly expensive.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by farnfam (Oh, Jean that sounds...)
Cis, Wegmans here has them for $699.00/lb.(yes, almost seven hundred dollars) I crack up everytime I see it. I wanted to take a picture of it, but photos are not allowed.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by chef_Tab (Cis, Wegmans here ha...)
Maybe we could all go together.................right.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by cjs (Maybe we could all g...)
We'd need 16 of us for a pound at 43.75 an OUNCE!! Plus shipping and handling
Cis
Empress for Life