Mushroom fair
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by cjs (Daphne, truffles hav...)
I dont think i can resist ...ordering a pound NOW
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by piano226 (I dont think i can r...)
I just wish I had the extra cash....NOW! I guess I need to set up a truffle fund for next year.

Marina, you better be sure you share what you make with these things, or I'll come get you!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by cjs (Daphne, truffles hav...)
Think, Barolo--truffles--Barolo--truffles!!! OMG
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by Old Bay (Think, Barolo--truff...)
I just spoke to the guy...I think I will get a half a pound of black and half a pound of white. He also has a great price on dried porcini that I make russian mushroom soup with. It is $30 dollars a pound which is a heck of a lot less than what I am paying now in a russian store. Called a friend and we are splitting the porcini's since she is the same soup maker and it is a key ingredient.

What is barolo? Are those really expensive Italian truffles?

I dont think i can afford those...i wish
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by piano226 (I just spoke to the ...)
Quote:

russian mushroom soup

May we have this recipe, please? I can't get porcinis right now, but I LOVE mushrooms, and would like to have the recipe ready for when I AM able to get porcinis.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I must confess, I had to look it up, Marina...LOL! It's a VERY nice red wine and considered...according to Wikipedia as:

"an Italian wine, one of many to claim the title 'Wine of kings, and king of wines' [Here's where I'm guessing I can't afford the wine any more than I can afford the truffle...LOL!].

As big, powerful wines Barolo needs to be matched with foods of similar weight. [This makes sense when you think of the powerful flavor of the truffle.] If paired with light dishes, such as steamed vegetables, the wines will overwhelm the dish and seem excessively tannic and powerful. In Piedmont, the wines are often paired with meat dishes, heavy pastas and rich risottos.[I'm thinking this is where the Truffle Rissoto comes in] The tannins of Barolo react to proteins. When paired with dishes that are high in proteins and fats (such as red meat and hard cheeses)[this is where a filet or steak of some kind comes in, I'm thinking], the tannins will bind to the proteins and come across as softer. In the absence of protein from the food, such as with some vegetarian dishes, the tannins will react with the proteins on the tongue and sides of the mouth--accentuating the bitterness and having a drying effect on the palate. [Here's where I'm thinking I want to check for this wine when at Sam's Saturday in anticipation of a filet dinner on Valentine's!]"

Now, I'm hoping Bill or Jean will come on and confirm or negate what I've found..PLEASE. I trust their opinion. They won't steer you wrong. I think of them as the resident wine guy and the wine gal...LOL! How'd I do, you two? It made sense when I read it. I'm working on my education!
Daphne
"What is Barolo?" "Quote"
The King of Italian wines --produced from the nebbiolo grape where truffles are harvested in northern Italy--go to a good wine shop and ask for one to drink now--serve with the truffles--fabulous!!
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by Old Bay ("What is Barolo?" "Q...)
Bless your heart Labs....you do love your mushrooms. Marina, please put the man out of his misery. He can't help it, he's obsessed. (I would like to see it, also. I don't have access to more than button 'shrooms, but would like to expand.)
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by Gourmet_Mom (I must confess, I ha...)
Daphne, You can buy a bottle of Barolo or Barbaresco in the $30-$40 range. Just ask the store if it is resdy to drink!! There is an old style (10-20 years aging required) and a new style, almost ready to drink when released with 5 yrs aging. Needs heavy food though--Lamb, truffles, major stews, Bolognese pasta, Osso buco, it is a winter wine. The tannins become mellow-earthy. But not for filets in my opinion.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by Gourmet_Mom (Bless your heart Lab...)
Quote:

Bless your heart Labs....you do love your mushrooms. Marina, please put the man out of his misery. He can't help it, he's obsessed.

A confessed shroomaholic!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?