Sourdough Bread
  Re: (...)
The sourdough starter recipe in the February issue looks intriguing, but my family isn't interested in rolls. How do you use this starter for a loaf of bread?
  Re: Sourdough Bread by GrannyGreen (The sourdough starte...)
After you punch down after the 2 1/2 hour rising, divide the dough into two pieces and shape into loaves and put in greased loaf pans. Let rise again, then bake at 375-400° for 45 to 50 minutes.

I'd start testing the bread after 40 minutes and if you have an instant read thermometer, the bread is done when it reaches 205-210° or do the thumping trick.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sourdough Bread by cjs (After you punch dow...)
Thanks! I suspected the dough would work for either. Do you know if any starter can be used for any recipe? If this one is good, I'ld like to play around with it.
  Re: Re: Sourdough Bread by GrannyGreen (Thanks! I suspected ...)
Welcome to the forum, GrannyGreen!

When I found a copy of the book Alaska Soughdough in a local used-merchandise store, it was quite a surprise, since I live in Honduras, and had not expected to find something like that. So, I posted a message about it here, and received some very favourable replies from some others who already had the book, so that book could be helpful to you, as well.

As for me, that was a year ago, and I was a bit put off by the mold that my starter developed, so I have been hesitant to try again (and busy with other things), but I think that I am about ready to start again, especially now that you have asked about sourdough and also because the Rye Bread I'm about to make calls for fermenting the dough for three days.

Please let us know how your bread turns out.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Sourdough Bread by GrannyGreen (Thanks! I suspected ...)
The really first rate info (not that the info isn't great here) is on www.thefreshloaf.com! There are some real experts on there, including pros. Plus anyone who loves sourdough should have Alaskan Sourdough by Ruth Allman. It's great.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Sourdough Bread by labradors (Welcome to the forum...)
Again, thanks to all for the info. I have been studying up as suggested. So far, my starter looks and smells great. Hoping to to give it a try in four or five days.
  Re: Sourdough Bread by GrannyGreen (The sourdough starte...)
Sorry to leave everybody hanging. I've made several loaves from this starter now, and am very pleased. It makes a light, mild white bread with excellent texture and crust. The flavor is developing complexities as it ages. I'll be keeping this one.
  Re: Re: Sourdough Bread by GrannyGreen (Sorry to leave every...)
Sourdough starter is like children, keep it well fed and play with it often - it will develop into something wonderful over the years. Now that we are settled down in our "forever home" I will never abandon mine again.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!