Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants
  Re: (...)
Well we had a wondeful time first off. It was a great road trip. The goal was to get to Arizona and look for houses as we might be moving there in the near future. We were going to leave right after Christmas, but the weather was looming and we had to leave on the 23rd.

We arrived in Arizona on the 24th very late and went to bed. The next day was Christmas and nearly every restarant was closed except for Haus Murphy. A wonderful German restaurant with great food. It was surely a DIVE, but charmingly so.

I had the Paprika Schnitzel and Brad had the Sauerbraten. They were both fabulous! Really. I had a great side of creamy saukraut which was sauerkraut and cream cheese and and a potato dumpling. I love that. The beer was good and in very large 32 oz glasses. Not many individual tables, but long tables where many can sit whether or not you are together. It was festive and fun for Christmas.

No Pics sorry.

On December 26 we went to La Piazza al Forno. We intended to go there for pizza but after seeing their pasta, I was in the mood.

I had the Frutti de Mare...

[Image: DSC02783.jpg]

Lots of Linquine and fresh seafood. It was heaven!

Also the fresh bread... really terrific.

[Image: DSC02782.jpg]

Brad had the Rigatoni al Forno...
Rigatoni, chicken, artichokes, sundried tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, olive oil and garlic. (they make the mozzarella on site!)

[Image: DSC02784.jpg]

This was a wonderful meal with a great wine. LOVED IT!

----------------------------------------------

It was so good that we had to go back on December 27th (my birthday) for the pizza. They make their own Mozzerella and Ricotta! Everything is so good.

We had the La Piazza Bianco, wine and cannoli. Another wonderful night.

[Image: DSC02786.jpg]

[Image: DSC02787.jpg]

--------------------------------------------------

On our way home I scheduled a stop in Oklahoma City to go to the Cattlemen's Club. This was a wonderful topper to our excursion. we love a good steak and this entire meal was so memorable.

Prime Ribeye
[Image: DSC02791.jpg]

Choice Filet Mignon

[Image: DSC02792.jpg]

Fresh dinner rolls with whipped butter...

[Image: DSC02793.jpg]

and their signature salad that had this out-of-this-world dressing!

[Image: DSC02790.jpg]

Our waiter was Shawn and he was so nice. He brought 3 different wines for us to try before we settled on one. It was a Rombauer (sp?). And tempted us with their to-die-for coconut cream pie. We didn't have it, but I has surely tempted.

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful hubby. We had a great time and it was a trip to remember for us. We have not been away from our kids for more than 24 hours for many years. It was very nice to enjoy each other's company and have such wonderful food to boot!

And gosh I have to mention the baked potatoes at Cattlemen's were so creamy and good. I had to ask how they did them. I was told they were 'low and slow all day'. I will have to try that.

-------------------------------------------------

I would have loved to meet others from the forum there, I just didn't think of it! >>>smack<<< on my forhead! But next time, and I hope there will be a next time, I will alert others. That would have been icing on the proverbial cake!
  Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by luvnit (Well we had a wondef...)
Okay - the kraut thing - cream cheese, kraut, and ????? Like little koenephla dumpings???? Little gnocchi??? Details please
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by Harborwitch (Okay - the kraut thi...)
Laura, it all sounds WONDERFUL! I'm so glad you had this opportunity. I'm guessing a move to Arizona is sounding really good right about now.

I'm like you, I'm gonna have to give the baked potato trick a try on our next steak dinner night. What was the dressing on that salad like...vinegary?...creamy? Do tell, if you can.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, it all sounds...)
This sounds like more than just food.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by Gourmet_Mom (Laura, it all sounds...)
Oh the dressing is sooooo good. It's creamy but lite tasting. Go figure. From the video we say I would have thought it was really rich.

Here is the video I saw

Cattlemen's Restaurant

Guy described it as a creamy ranch without the herbs and added cheddar cheese. The lady who makes it marinades the garlich for like 12 days! Making dressing is her only job there.

As for the kraut.... Actually it was kraut mixed with cream cheese and sour cream. It was the consitancy of mashed potatoes. The cream cheese flavor mixed well with the kraut and took a bit of the edge off the sour. I happen to like the sour, but this was really superb. They called it creamy kraut.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by Harborwitch (Okay - the kraut thi...)
Quote:

Okay - the kraut thing - cream cheese, kraut, and ????? Like little koenephla dumpings???? Little gnocchi??? Details please

Probably Kartoffelklösse.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks, Laura. I'm thinking that's one I won't be replicating. But it sounds wonderful! Baby girl is a Ranch aficionado and would probably LOVE this. She has been searching for the PERFECT Ranch Dressing recipe. I keep sending her recipes but have yet to hit the mark. Oh well! If you figure it out....let me know.

Good job on the Three D review....very cool!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Laura. I'm ...)
So, when will decisions be made on a move???

The DD&Ds sound so tasty!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by luvnit (Well we had a wondef...)
All of the dishes look divine, Laura. The filet plate at the Cattlemen's Club looked like enough food for four! What a wonderful experience for you and your hubby
  Re: Re: Diners Driveins & Dives Review - 3 Restaurants by (All of the dishes lo...)
OMG that filet was so big! My husband had trouble, but he was determined to eat it ALL. And he did. I could only eat half of mine. They were both good.

Not sure when a move would take place. We are just checking out our options now. The house prices are so reasonable down there. And some pretty nice stuff too. I think they were hit pretty heavy by the foreclosure situation. As were many areas of the country. I will be curious about what our realtor says about our house. Who knows what will happen. Perhaps we wouldn't even be able to sell. It's just a wait and see thing.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura