I'd Like to Propose...
  Re: (...)
In honor of my having my beloved Issue #60 [Email]C@H[/Email] back in my hot little hands, a dinner review menu from it to start out the New Year. This will give Labs a chance to pull together a Birthday menu...hint, hint, hint

Ruby Sippers (page 52)
makes 6 cocktails

Pulse; simmer with:
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
1 cup sugar
Rind and juice of 1 orange

Pour and garnish with:
1 bottle sparkling white wine (such as Italian Proseco), chilled (750 ml)
Whole cranberries

-----

Chipotle Chicken Tostadas (page 43)
makes 24 tostadas
C@H note: Since oven temperatures vary, be sure to bake the tostada chips until they're very crisp. Otherwise, they'll be too chewy.

3 flour tortillas (8")
1 avocado,, peeled and pitted
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup tomato, seeded, chopped
1 T. fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
3/4 cup ketchup
3 T. brown sugar
2 T. chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. chilii powder
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
Sour cream, cilantro, lime zest

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Coat both sides of tortillas with nonstick spray. Stack and cut into 8 wedges (24 total); push into cups (standard muffin pan). Bake 6-8 minutes, or until golden.

Mash avocado, sour cream, tomato, lime juice, garlic and cilantro together, salt to taste and hill.

Simmer ketchup, sugar, chipotles, soy sauce, vinegar, chili powder and chicken in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 8 minutes, or until sauce is syrupy.

Top each tostada with 1 T. avocado mixture, then 2 T. chicken mixture.

Garnish each tostada with sour cream, cilantro, and zest.

--------

Black Bean Cakes
(Cuisine at home, December 2006, Issue 60, p. 17)
Makes: 2 Cakes, 1 3/4 Cup Rice, 1 Cup Slaw

For the Slaw—
Puree; Toss with:
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
10 sprigs fresh cilantro
1/2 jalapeño, seeded, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
Salt to taste

For the Rice—
Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil; Stir in:
1/3 cup each of onion, carrot, and celery, diced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 T. tomato paste
1/2 t. each of kosher salt, ground cumin, and paprika
1/4 t. cayenne
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup converted white rice
1 cup chicken broth or water

For the Cakes—
Mash Together; Add:
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed, divided (15 oz.)
1 egg white
1/4 cup corn tortilla chips, ground
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
2 T. onion, grated
1/2 t. each of kosher salt, ground coriander, and chili powder

Fry in; Garnish with:
2 T. olive oil
Lime wedges
Fresh cilantro sprigs

Puree the first 5 ingredients for the slaw in a food processor; toss with cabbage then season with salt. Cover and refrigerate.

Saute vegetables, garlic, tomato paste, spices, and bay leaf for the rice in 1 T. oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered; fluff with a fork and remove bay leaf before serving.

Mash 1/2 cup beans and egg white together for the cakes in a bowl. Add remaining beans, chips, bell pepper, onion, and seasonings. Refrigerate mixture for 10 minutes, then form into two 3"-round cakes.

Fry cakes in 2 T. oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until heated through, 4 minutes per side. Serve the bean cakes with the Mexican rice and slaw. Garnish with lime and cilantro.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No dessert!!! None of us needs it!

Dinner review date will be January 18th - if this sounds good to anyone.

And then Labs can be from January 19th to Feb. 1 review date???????

-----

And, February folks are on their own to figure their dinners out - I hope they do.

FEBRUARY -
esgunn/erin - Feb. 1st
Roxanne - Feb. 5th
Cubangirl- Feb. 10
Chef_Tab/Theresa/Valentines Day..Feb.14
gourmet mom/Daphne - Feb. 23rd
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: I'd Like to Propose... by cjs (In honor of my havin...)
Oooh, the black bean cakes sound great! I think that we'll forego the toastdas, though, and just add another veggie since it feels as though I've been eating and eating for weeks... wait! I have been eating and eating for weeks!

Add to the Ruby Sippers directions to cool and strain the cranberry mixture before mixing with the Prosecco (about 1-1/2 to 2T syrup in 8 ounces of wine). I still have the syrup in the fridge from NYE.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: I'd Like to Propose... by foodfiend (Oooh, the black bean...)
" I still have the syrup in the fridge from NYE." LOL...Same here!

Oh, I think the whole menu sounds WONDERFUL! I've was thinking about adding taco salad or something for dinner next week, so the tostadas look especially enticing! Count me in!

I'll be looking around for a menu for late February. Considering the fit of my pants today, I'm thinking I may need to pick up a copy of the new Cuisine Light book and pick from that!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I'd Like to Propose... by Gourmet_Mom (" I still have the s...)
You surprised me, Vicci - I was sure you'd try to work rum into the sippers......

Well, for heaven's sake, didn't I order that??? Shoot, where is it, maybe not here yet...geez, Imiss my mind.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'd Like to Propose... by cjs (You surprised me, Vi...)
Quote:

You surprised me, Vicci - I was sure you'd try to work rum into the sippers......

Um, we also had rum drinks that evening... I wonder if there's such a thing as "sparkling rum", though.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: I'd Like to Propose... by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
If there is, I'm sure you'll find it!!

I have leftover sugar syrup from our Hawaiian friend's drink - we had it yesterday afternoon... Vickie's Mermaid Martini. Wow, those buggers are strong.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I'd Like to Propose... by cjs (If there is, I'm sur...)
Oh dear! This may be a difficult decision, since I like the menu you've already chosen, Jean!

Let me take a look at the table of contents of the latest issue and/or back to some things I may have bookmarked but not yet made, and I'll get back to you.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: I'd Like to Propose... by labradors (Oh dear! This may b...)
Cranberry Coconut Sippers

2T "Ruby Sippers" syrup
1-1/2 ounces coconut rum
seltzer

Pour syrup into a highball glass over ice. Add rum, then fill with seltzer. Stir gently.

Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: I'd Like to Propose... by cjs (If there is, I'm sur...)
Quote:

... Vickie's Mermaid Martini.

You have posted that recipe - right! I'm all for anything "mermaid"
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: I'd Like to Propose... by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Okay. Jean, I've narrowed my list down to three main things, for now (I'll decide upon sides, etc. once I've made my main-course choice). The three from which I'll choose are:
  • Plum & Pork Stir Fry (from the latest issue)
  • Five-Jewel-Rice-Stuffed Chicken Breast (from the latest issue)
  • Asian-Spiced Pork Stew with Scallion Pancakes (from the King Arthur Flour website, posted by Billy, but nobody - not even he - ever posted a review of it)
Since I don't get the magazine here, I'd need the recipes for those first two to decide, but unless you specifically want my selection to come from this issue (or from the magazine, in general), I'm leaning toward Billy's recipe since it's already there and since that would leave those other recipes available for the people with February birthdays. Please do post those two recipes, though, so I may be sure, and since I'd like to try them sometime, anyway.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?