Cheese, Cheese, Cheese
  Re: (...)
Okay, so I bought all this cheese for Christmas party platter and have LOTS leftover. I've got parm, blue, goat, manchego, mozz, gruyere, Cabot white cheddar....I think that's all. Anyway, I've never made mac and cheese from scratch since I don't eat it. But now that I've discovered that I like white cheese, I'm thinking of making this:

[Image: 4205472714_ec3c1c37b5.jpg]

Since it has lots of onions and bacon in it, I'm thinking it would be a good starter for me. So the question is, which 4 cheeses would you choose to put in this? She uses parm, fontina, gruyere, and goat cheese in the original recipe.

One more thing...I'm thinking of subbing prosciutto (didn't do one of the appies that called for this) for the bacon...whatcha think?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cheese, Cheese, Cheese by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, so I bought al...)
Parm, Bleu, Mozz and Goat would probably be the best blend. I'd save the others (especially the Manchego) for other uses.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
I like the white cheddar, Mozz, gruyere, and grated parm for flavor.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
I'd use a combo of all, except the blue, and just a little of the goat cheese. I usually always make my mac and cheese with what I've got on hand. And go for the prosciutto, as long as your audience likes it, I've done that in the past.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cheese, Cheese, Cheese by Old Bay (I like the white che...)
As much as I like blue cheese, I think I'm going to have to go with Bill's blend. I think it's closest to the original recipe. This IS my first mac and cheese, after all. I'm afraid the blue cheese may just be too much. But then with the ham-y flavor of the proscuitto, the blue would really taste good. GEEZ!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cheese, Cheese, Cheese by Gourmet_Mom (As much as I like bl...)
When I make Macs n Cheese, I use Cabot's Seriously Sharp or the Cabots in the black wax skin I get at Whole Foods.

I would like to see what your Cabots, mozz, gruyere, and blue cheese would taste like!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cheese, Cheese, Cheese by BarbaraS (When I make Macs n C...)
"I'd use a combo of all, except the blue, and just a little of the goat cheese." I'm with PJ on this one
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cheese, Cheese, Cheese by cjs ("I'd use a combo of ...)
I forgot one...I also have Swiss...the good stuff! I'm going with a blend of all except the blue.

I am going to have so much fun this week playing with cheese. I already have Jean's ham quiche marked for later and the pizza for tomorrow! I have LOTS of cheese..several pounds of each actually! You should see the HUGE block of manchego I got that is hardly touched! (Sorry, Labs....I wish there was some way to share it with you!) YUMMY!

BTW, Jean, do you think the prosciutto would work in place of the ham for this...or should I use a regular sweet ham? Also, should I use my prime rib for the pizza, or my leftover (1/4 pound) of pastrami and save the prime rib for something else?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cheese, Cheese, Cheese by Gourmet_Mom (I forgot one...I als...)
My goodness, but this was good! My cheese sauce was more tan than white...why waste all the yummy flavor from frying the prosciutto and caramelizing the onions? I can't wait to try it with bacon, but the prosciutto was mighty tasty!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cheese, Cheese, Cheese by Gourmet_Mom (My goodness, but thi...)
Daphne, It is amazing the difference good cheese makes. Recipes can be very different using a good cheese, even something as basic as quesadillas or nachos. When cheese is the star - use the good stuff!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.