Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this
  Re: (...)
Found in an ebook copy of a 1908 cookbook:

Quote:

Bavarian Wine Soup

Mix 3 pints of red wine with 1 pint of water. Add sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon to taste and the grated peel of
half a lemon. Let come to a boil; then stir in the yolks of 2 well-beaten eggs. Do not boil again. Serve hot
with biscuits.

If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by labradors (Found in an ebook co...)
I wonder what the egg does for it? The rest sounds really good, though!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by Gourmet_Mom (I wonder what the eg...)
The egg yolks thicken the mixture, I would think...

Serve with biscuits, perhaps cheddar biscuits? This sounds very interesting!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by foodfiend (The egg yolks thicke...)
That makes sense, but I'm not sure I like the idea of it....I like the rest of it, though.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by Gourmet_Mom (That makes sense, bu...)
Well well well....holding on me eh?

I am guessing the bisquits are more like crackers, not like bisquits we use for gravy. It's like a hot mulled wine.

Does it have the recipe for said bisquits? I will so try this...and I will sample often to ensure QS
  Re: Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by DFen911 (Well well well....ho...)
There was no special biscuit recipe with it. The eggs sounded odd to me, too, so I had done some Googling around, and found a blog entry with a different version of the recipe (larger quantity; from Hungary, instead of Germany; white wine, instead of red; and served cold, instead of hot). In addition, the blog mentions the soup recipe in the same context as a recipe for Poppy-Seed Bread Pudding, though it doesn't actually say they're served together.
  Re: Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by labradors (There was no special...)
hmmmm, drew me right in.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by cjs (hmmmm, drew me right...)
Quote:

hmmmm, drew me right in.

... like moths to a flame. LOL!
  Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by labradors (Found in an ebook co...)
Somehow this doesn't sound even a little good to me. Blech.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Don't let Jean, Denise or Sharon see this by Harborwitch (Somehow this doesn't...)
The trick is making it good. Ok ladies...I know we're up for this task