Bear
  Re: (...)
Does anybody have any experience cooking bear meat? The bear hunters just left and left behind a ham. The only experience I have is when my grandmother made some for William. He felt so honored she made this special meal, just for him. Anyway, it is VERY greasy and strong flavored. William is searching online for recipes, but I figured I see if any of you guys had any experience.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Bear by Gourmet_Mom (Does anybody have an...)
Gosh, Daph, I wish I did. Up here they "jerk" it in a spicy marinade, but I'm not even sure how that is done.
Let us know how you make out
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Bear by farnfam (Gosh, Daph, I wish I...)
I have no clue whatsoever! Good luck with that!
  Re: Re: Bear by HomeCulinarian (I have no clue whats...)
Daphne, do you remember Kelly Johnson, a chef from C2C? I'll email him and see - he was and is an avid hunter and his dishes are always wonderful!!!

You do have his Venison taco recipe, don't you?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bear by cjs (Daphne, do you remem...)
Yes, I have the taco recipe. Let me know what you find out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Bear by cjs (Daphne, do you remem...)
What venison taco recipe????? Holdin' out on me LOL???? The bleu cheese stuffed vension burgers were soooo good.

According to Mom we at bear when I was a kid in Montana but I don't remember. I'll dig around for you too.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Bear by Gourmet_Mom (Yes, I have the taco...)
From the Smoking Meat Forum: hopefully these will help.

Bear meat is very greasy and it is that grease which makes it a very strong flavored meat. But that can be overcome by rendering the meat prior to smoking or cooking by any other method.

First place your meat in a slow oven or smoker at 170F. Be sure to place a good sized grease catcher underneath. It takes about two hours to degrease a cut of bear meat. During this process don't even bother with smoke or rubs because they will end up in the grease pan. Turn the meat occasionally.

Once the grease stops dripping pull the meat and let it rest for a bit. You can now apply a rub and smoke as normal. This info applies primarily to a roast. But, if you wish steaks render a roast first and then cut the steaks. For ground meat render the scraps prior to grinding. Do not add additional fat in any form. And as always spices are our friends.

Myths: Bears and pigs are not in any way related. Way back when pigs were fed untreated garbage they contracted and spread trichinosis. This was a terrible muscle infection by the trichinea critter. Today that is unheard of in pork. BUT! When bears emerge from their winter dens the most readily available source of protein is winter kill animals. There lies the problem. So be safe and follow the USDA reccomendations for cooking temps for pork and the bear will be safe.

Furthermore, some areas allow a spring bear hunt. Considering the diet of the bear and the option of a fall hunt when they have been gorging on fruit and nuts I will always opt for a fall bear. My opinion!

Bear Marinade
1 cup dry red wine (cheapest)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion chopped
6 cloves garlic crushed
1 sliced carrot
1 tbs.. dried tarragon, may want to half this as tarragon is strong salt and pepper adjust to your own taste
Place meat in roaster, roast or steaks, in marinade
and cover and refrigerate overnight turning often prior bedtime.
Remove from marinade approx., 2 hrs. prior cooking to allow meat to come to room temp. Strain marinade and reserve liquid for gravy.
Pre-Heat oven to 350 Deg. turning the roast and or steaks halfway through cooking time, about 3 hours. for 4 1/2 lb. roast.
GRAVY; with broth in pan bring to medium boil on stove top and add marinade liquid, to thicken I use 1/2 cup flour mixed with 1 1/2 cups of water seasoned with celery salt, shake or stir well and gradually pour into pan keeping stirring constant.
Carve roast (boneless) into 1/4 inch slices and place on platter pouring gravy over meat, will serve 8, I think.
  Re: Re: Bear by Harborwitch (From the Smoking Mea...)
Sharon is correct--cook it WELL--trichinosis not something you want to fool around with--when I took parasitology my professor would not let the class handle the infected raw meat when making slides--if you become infected it goes into the muscles and stays there, very painfully. Bear meat, especially Polar bear, is the most infected of animals today. Handle it with rubber gloves and cook it well. Basically, it is transmitted by eating infected raw or undercooked meat, but who knows if you pick up a parasite and get it your mouth by hand. It is not worth it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Bear by Harborwitch (From the Smoking Mea...)
Oh Sharon, these are so good!! This is how Kelly give me the recipe - his remarks.

* Exported from MasterCook *

VENISON NECK & GREEN CHILI TACOS

Recipe By: (Kelly Johnson) Kelly Johnson, Chef/CoOwner Evan's St. Station, Tecumseh, MI
1 Venison neck, bones in
3-4 T. oil
6 poblano chilis, seeded and rough chopped
4 + 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
2 + 1 large onions, chopped
1 lg can low sodium beef or chicken broth
1 + 1 bunch cilantro
2 tsps cumin powder
4 + 3 limes
seasoned flour, salt & pepper

Start with a Dutch oven on the stove top and heat the oil till hot. Season the neck liberally with salt, pepper and cumin. Dust it in the flour & sear on as many sides as you can get to sit flat. Take the neck out and reserve on a plate. Add in all the poblanos, 4 of the jalapenos and 2 of the onions & saute till it all starts to wilt and get soft. Add the neck back in (on top of the vegetables) and add the broth.There should be liquid at least 1/4 way up the roast in the beginning.

Bring to a simmer (if you boil it, it'll never ever get tender) and put the lid on. Simmer very slowly for about 3-5 hours. You may need to add more broth or water to keep the moisture in as it evaporates. You'll know when it's done when the neck joints can be pulled out with a pair of tongs with no resistance.

Remove all the bones (just pick them out of the pot with a pair of tongs.) and remove meat with a slotted spoon or spatula to a bowl. In the bowl add the raw chopped onion, the other jalapeno, 4 of the limes and cilantro. Sprinkle a little salt if it needs it and shred it up with a fork.

Put whatever's left in the pot into the blender and add the remaining limes and blend it for a sauce. Serve with warm tortillas.

Description:
"Serve with warm tortilla's and get a big plate and hide because grown men will try to kiss you when they taste this!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And, Sharon, if you don't have this one - his seasoning for when you make potato chips or fries....

Kelly's spice for chips - 40-40-20 (Kosher, madras curry powder, sugar)

died and gone to heaven!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bear by cjs (Oh Sharon, these are...)
Thank you Jean. I cut all the meat off the neck bones. In fact all of the venison is boneless. We didn't have the equipment to deal with bones (except for the leg bones that we made stock from). I would imagine I could use boneless??? These tacos sound so wonderful.