Tofu Soba Noodle Soup
  Re: (...)
We finally made the "replacement for red meat" meal - tofu soba noodle soup. It had a delicate flavor and we both enjoyed it. I marinated the tofu in low sodium soy sauce for several hours before making the soup. Mister got the recipe from the Savy Vegetarian site.

Soup Ingredients:

One 8 ounce package soba (buckwheat) noodles
One 32 ounce carton low-sodium vegetable broth
6 to 8 medium-sized shitake mushroom caps, sliced
2 Tbsp reduced-sodiuim soy sauce
2 tsp rice vinegar
2 tsp natural granulated sugar
2 to 3 tsp minced fresh ginger, to taste
3 scallions, thinly sliced
8 ounces soft or firm tofu
8 to 10 ounces fresh spinach, well washed, stemmed, and chopped
Optional: 1 cup chopped baby bok choy, tatsoi, or mizuna
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:
Break the noodles in half and cook them in a large saucepan according to package directions until al dente, then drain. Rinse briefly with cool water
Meanwhile, combine the broth, mushrooms, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and ginger in a soup pot. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes
Stir in the scallions, tofu, spinach, and optional bok choy. Cover and cook until the spinach is wilted but still bright green, about 3 minutes
Stir in the noodles. Add about two cups additional water, or enough to give the soup a dense but not overly crowded consistency. Season with pepper and additional soy sauce if needed. Heat through and serve at once

(I used bok choy since the tatsoi and mizuna were not available where I shop regularly).

Per Serving:
Calories: 196
Total fat: 3 grams
Protein: 10 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Carbohydrate: 33 grams
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 511 mg
  Re: Tofu Soba Noodle Soup by (We finally made the ...)
I love this type of soup, thanks for posting. So, what did you and Mister think?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Tofu Soba Noodle Soup by Mare749 (I love this type of ...)
I thought it was wonderful on its own - Mister wants to add thin strips of pork to it -but he liked it
  Re: Re: Tofu Soba Noodle Soup by (I thought it was won...)
"addd...pork to it" - of course he does.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tofu Soba Noodle Soup by cjs ("addd...pork to it" ...)
There you go...men and their meat! Thanks for the recipe, Sonja. We still haven't tried Tofu, but I'll add this to the "To Try" recipes. You never know!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.