Fresh Clams Q
  Re: (...)
I am a clam killer.

I bring them home, clean them off, set them in a draining colander with ice over a bowl to drain in the fridge.

By the time I want to steam them the next day, most of them have croaked.

What am I doing wrong?

How do you keep your clammies alive?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Fresh Clams Q by BarbaraS (I am a clam killer.[...)
I don't know if I've ever tried to hold them over, but I'm thinking you wrap in a wet towel and refrigerate. I think your mistake is the ice. I'm off to google it to check, but I'm pretty sure this is how it's done.

YUP! Just double checked. I'm not sure how I know this, I guess I picked it up from the clammers that come in down from Mom's. And yes, on thinking about it, I HAVE held them over for a day in the fridge. And the ice was the killer.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Fresh Clams Q by Gourmet_Mom (I don't know if I've...)
Daphne,

I'm thinking that because I don't crush my ice they don't get any water drippings to stay alive. Why is it I'm picking them out of crushed ice when I buy them?

Yeah, ice/water can hold minerals and chemicals to kill them.

Crap, now I'm really confused.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Fresh Clams Q by BarbaraS (Daphne,[br][br]I'm t...)
I'm thinking that they probably don't stay on the ice for long. But once I confirmed it online, I realized this is how I have been told by the pros. But then I buy mine straight from the mud...LOL! AND have dug my own a time or two, believe it or not!!!! The first mixed family gatherings we had when William and I first started dating was a clam dig/crab trap outing at the marsh. "The parents" got along famously! We had a WONDERFUL Day gathering our own food and cooking it right there on the beach!

ANYWAY, "the employee" just came in...a clammer among other things. He said you don't even need the wet towel...just put them in a pan in the fridge. He also said that you should purge them before you refrigerate....cold water with a sprinkling of corn meal. This makes them spit out the sand. Then clean and dry and refrigerate. He said you can keep them in the fridge for up to 14 days..."...that's a fact. You may loose a few, but not many.". He added that the ice where you buy them is to keep them cold, not to provide water. They should not be frozen in the shell! I'm thinking by using the ice AND the fridge, you are doing the equivalent of freezing them to death.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Fresh Clams Q by Gourmet_Mom (I'm thinking that th...)
Quote:

ANYWAY, "the employee" just came in...a clammer among other things. He said you don't even need the wet towel...just put them in a pan in the fridge. He also said that you should purge them before you refrigerate....cold water with a sprinkling of corn meal. This makes them spit out the sand. Then clean and dry and refrigerate. He said you can keep them in the fridge for up to 14 days..."...that's a fact. You may loose a few, but not many.". He added that the ice where you buy them is to keep them cold, not to provide water. They should not be frozen in the shell! I'm thinking by using the ice AND the fridge, you are doing the equivalent of freezing them to death.

Daphne,

I've heard of this "clean and spit" thing with the cornmeal. How long should that occur with a bivalve?

Barbara<~~~learning how not to be a clam killer...
  Re: Re: Fresh Clams Q by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I would do it about 20 to 30 minutes. We do this here, because, as I said, we usually get ours straight out of the mud. You may not need to do this. I don't know. I have skipped this step when buying them from a fish market and they looked clean. Jody said that some may look like they are open...I've never watched them...LOL...but he said that's okay. They'll close up when you take them out...if not, just tap the shell and they'll close right up.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Fresh Clams Q by Gourmet_Mom (I would do it about ...)
we used to go thru all the cornmeal cleansing, but don't bother anymore. If you put them in a plastic bag with the bag completely open at the top, refrigerate them, they will be fine for the next day. We do it all the time.

In the Pacific Northwest, clams are a food group, you know!!
How do you fix yours, Barbara?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fresh Clams Q by cjs (we used to go thru a...)
Quote:

How do you fix yours, Barbara?

Well I have to warn you, butter is involved.

The best steamed clams I've ever had was in a restaurant near East Rutherford, NJ when we finished our Saturday night pool tournament matches at Castle Billiards. I can't remember the name of the place for the life of me, and it did change names, but the steamed clams and the broth was to die for. They used butter, parsley, garlic, chicken broth, bacon, and didn't over cook the clams. I never got it the same. OMG, they were the best! That broth gave bread its worth!

I just use butter, one stick, about one pound of previously cooked bacon cut into small pieces, get the garlic going, add the whole clams, then a cup of chardonnay, and some chopped parsley. Acutally, add the cooked bacon with the wine so it doesn't go too soft. I tried the chicken broth, but it didn't come out quite the same as that restaurant's recipe.

But it's all good. I would kill to get that restuarant's recipe.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Fresh Clams Q by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Okay, I'm drooling now. Between this and your sausage dinner, I don't know whether to love you or hate you. I've gotta try this!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Fresh Clams Q by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I'm drooling n...)
Pretty much how I do mine, altho don't use bacon too often. One of our favorite methods is from Chef Cameon when she was at a restaurant up here - have lost touch with her over the years. I use mussels or clams or both in this.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cameon's PENN COVE MUSSELS with BALSAMIC CREAM & BACON

1 pound Penn cove mussels (or whatever mussels are available) -- debearded & cleaned
1 T. shallots -- chopped
1 T. garlic -- chopped
2 T. bacon -- chopped
1/3 cup tomatoes - seeded and diced
1/4 cup white wine
2/3 C heavy cream
3 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. basil -- fresh

In a sauté pan sauté the bacon, shallot, & garlic until the shallots begin to look translucent. Add the mussels and toss with the shallots and bacon.

Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of white wine; add the cream, basil and balsamic vinegar;
Cover the pan and reduce the cream sauce until the mussels are opened. Once the sauce reduced, sprinkle the diced tomatoes over and serve at once in the same pan or transfer to a large bowl.

Any leftovers you may have are wonderful over pasta.

NOTES : TO PREPARE MUSSELS:
Using a clam knife, scrape any barnacle from the shells.
Remove the beard-like strands.

Place the mussels in a bucket & cover w/cool fresh water by about 2".

Agitate the mussels w/your hand in a washing machine motion.
Drain and discard the water.

Repeat several times until the water becomes clear.
Drain again and keep the mussels cool until ready to cook.

Description:
"I first tasted this appetizer during a trip to Seattle area in January of 2001 and after tasting Chef Cameon Orel's mussels, we made two more visits to the Yarrow Bay Beach Café, during the same trip. Chef Cameon graciously shared her recipe."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But, up here we have access to the best clams in the world, imo - the razor clam and those are much better in stews, chowders, cut up with a light batter and fried. Died and gone to heaven!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com