Dinner, Wed. 11/2??
  Re: (...)
Our good friend Bill's widow is coming to dinner (God, I hope I'm never described that way!!!!) and spending the night. A no fuss dinner, she is no foodie - man, I miss Bill. We'll have Cornflake-Crusted halibut (with red snapper) with chile-cilantro aioli, an old Cooking Light recipe that is great and oven fries with some kind of veggie or salad. Espresso-Fudge Truffle Brownies, a recipe from the new Southern Living annual book I just rec'd recently. Will report back if they are any good.

Starting 3 slabs of pork belly for bacon today, also.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by cjs (Our good friend Bill...)
Quote:

Our good friend Bill's widow is coming to dinner (God, I hope I'm never described that way!!!!)

Relax! Your husband isn't named "Bill," so it will never happen.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
go find your room, Labs...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by cjs (go find your room, L...)
Vicki and I got a copy of the "125th Anniversary Cookbook" from Edgeley North Dakota - tonight we're fixing a dinner from this book.

Reuben Casserole

Instant or prepared mashed potatoes
Sauerkraut
1 small onion diced
1 can corned beef (or left over corned beef)
Swiss cheese

Make potatoes as directed on box (or fresh). Mix sauerkraut and onion into potatoes.

Cube corned beef and Swiss cheese. Put a thin layer of potatoes in a baking dish. Top with corned beef and cheese. Put remaining potatoes on top. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, covered. Remove cover and brown top - about 10 minutes more.

This just sounded so good to us - and it's actually one of the few that doesn't involve a lot of canned cream soup! I think we'll make some Russian rye to go along. It's going to be cold and maybe snowy so this will be perfect!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by Harborwitch (Vicki and I got a co...)
speaking of Russian rye - remember Jim on C2C? He and his partner lived in or near Chicago??????

* Exported from MasterCook *

Reuben Casserole

6 slices seeded (or unseeded) rye bread -- cubed
1 can Sauerkraut (drained) -- (14 oz)
1 lb corned beef (cut into strips)
3/4 cups Russian Dressing
2 cups shredded Swiss Cheese

Spray a 2qt casserole dish with cooking spray.
Spread the cubed bread along the bottom of dish.

Add the sauerkraut spreading it over the bread.
Add the corned beef and pour the russian dressing over it.
Spray one sheet of aluminum foil and place the spray side down over the dish and cover.
Place dish in a pre-heated 375F degree oven for 20 mins.

Uncover, sprinkle the 2 cups Shredded Swiss over the top and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

I found the 1 lb of corned beef to be a bit excessive and may go with 3/4 lb next time, but all you meat lovers the 1 lb may do the trick.

The whole thing from prep to sitting down with knife and fork took less than an hour.

Also, leftovers the next night, I found needed more russian dressing drizzled on it.

me - Jim, I have one that is so similar it could be the same - we love it! And Roy's favorite for l/os??? This heated up with a couple of fried eggs over the top...and he's a happy camper.

NOTES : Jim - I made this casserole over the week-end. It was quick and pretty delicious. I've had the recipe for awhile, but it is handwriiten on a piece of yellow lined paper and no clue where I picked it up.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by cjs (speaking of Russian ...)
Tonight we will have pork chops and scalloped potatoes since the deer is still hanging in the cooler to age a bit. Probably do a side of peas since Ron likes to mix them with his potatoes.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by Mare749 (Tonight we will have...)
Tonight it's chicken with a pineapple/avocado salsa. Rice and sauteed squashes on the side.
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by Trixxee (Tonight it's chicken...)
Oh dear....I guess I'm making a corned beef again in the near future. I read these Rueben Casseroles to William and he wanted to know if that was dinner...LOL!

I swear, Maryann, I think Ron and William must have been brothers in another life! We're having Country Fried Steak and gravy with mashed potatoes and peas. The gravy is for me....William mixes his peas in his potatoes. I rarely serve one without the other....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh dear....I guess I...)
Getting rid of some leftovers. We are having the Japanese beef stew and chinese chicken lettuce wraps....both adapted from the C@H slow cooker cook book. It's raining and cold, maybe some warmed saki to go with.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner, Wed. 11/2?? by chef_Tab (Getting rid of some ...)
Today is DECEMBER 2! And, it's my mom's 80th birthday today. We celebrated last Sunday at the Deere Run Golf Club near where she lives. It was a fun time. The entertainment was polka lessons for the grandchildren and everyone got involved.

For dinner tonight, I'm thinking about making pasta with creamed tomato sauce and turkey Italian sausage. It's from the CAH Perfect Pasta book.