Ovens
  Re: (...)
I've been thinking today. I know....

Anyway, I have a stacked microwave/oven. They work independently of each other, just housed in a common frame...I think. I VERY rarely use my microwave. The boys reheat stuff, and from time to time I'll use it to defrost something. I'm thinking a counter top toaster oven could do the reheating just as easily and probably taste better. Running water takes care of most thawing needs when necessary. These past few days AND on occasion in the past, I've wondered about a double oven.

So my question is this...have any of you got or had a double oven. Are you happy you have it or miss it?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Ovens by Gourmet_Mom (I've been thinking t...)
I've got a countertop oven, it's not exactly a toaster oven, but it broils and bakes does rotisserie and has a convection option as well. It's just a WalMart.com thing, not too expensive, but I just love it!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Ovens by farnfam (I've got a counterto...)
Cis, what size casserole will it hold? Is it large enough to bake the bread?

See, ONE problem is my oven is not deep enough to hold my half sheet pan (the long way) and a 9 X 13 inch casserole beside it. AND it's not tall enough for my roasting dish and one or two casseroles on a top rack. It can get really complicated in the winter, especially. I find myself limiting my side dishes if I'm doing a main in the oven.

If somebody has a suggestion for timing, I'm all ears.

Here's an example:

Lechon Asado (350 for one hour, then 300 for 2 1/2)
Baked Tomatoes Stuffed with Refried Black Beans and Rice (350 for 25)
Crunchy Country Bread (425 for then 375 for 5-10)

My current plan is to take the roast out about 30 minutes early, bake the bread, put the roast back in to finish cooking while I stuff the tomatoes, and rest the roast while the tomatoes are cooking. This seems terribly complicated to me, and I don't usually have all day to think up that kind cooking coordination. Thus the less complicated stove top sides on the menu....leaving out roasted veggies an casseroles unless I'm grilling my protein. I think I need to think about converting some veggie casseroles to slow cooker recipes. I guess that would help.

I have an idea...stop rambling Daphne and go have a glass of wine!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ovens by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, what size casse...)
It's just short of taking a glass lasagna sized pan, but the tin kind from the dollar store work great as they bend a little. It won't fit my bread trough, too long. But fits the square pyrex and come with two cookie sheet type pans that are made to fit it. That help??
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Ovens by farnfam (It's just short of t...)
Yep! Mom has a small one and has been looking into getting a larger one. She has also thrown out the suggestion that I might like one, too! I think I need to let her know I'm game! If nothing else, this will help for now. Switching out the oven would be way in the future. By then, I'll hopefully have a professional kitchen at the farm and a double oven will be unnecessary. Thanks, Cis!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ovens by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, what size casse...)
Quote:

Baked Tomatoes Stuffed with Refried Black Beans and Rice (350 for 25)

Uh, where is this recipe?????

I had a double oven setup - gave it away! Problem was that the bottom was just a broiler, the top was an oven. I loved that I could bake smaller sides, etc. in it. But it wouldn't hold big sheet pans, huge roasts, etc. It was a nice as a 2nd oven.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Ovens by Harborwitch ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I used to have two wall ovens and loved them - but I was also doing a lot of catering, so they were really needed. Now I have one very large oven that will hold a full sheet pan plus a warming shelf over the stove.

Daphne, do you have room to put in a warming drawer?? I had one and it saved my a$$ lots of times with large qtys of food to keep warm. The warming drawers are a heck of a lot cheaper than the warming shelf/hood that I have for my stove, but I love it. But, I loved the warming drawer also.

As far as your dilemma with the dishes - I can only suggest the old pot with simmering (not boiling water) water and stack the cooked dishes on it to keep warm. Good Luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ovens by cjs (I used to have two w...)
I like the warming drawer idea, Jean. I'm thinking that because of my space, I may have the same problem that Sharon had. I'm thinking if I get the counter-top now and add a warming drawer set up later, that may be the way to go.

Sharon, this is from the last Mystery Bag Dinner that you missed in your move:
Baked Tomatoes Stuffed with Refried Black Beans and Rice

Rob made this up! It tastes good so far. And the Lechon Asado has been driving me crazy all afternoon!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ovens by Gourmet_Mom (I like the warming d...)
Baked Tomatoes with Refried Black Beans.....Labs, we need to talk - the next book is "Black Beans & Corn"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ovens by cjs (Baked Tomatoes with ...)
Would you like to play with my "Magic Salad" recipe? No corn, but black beans, rice, etc. Very yummy.

The stuffed tomatoes sound divine! Thank's for the link Daphne.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!