My Gram's Holiday Salad
  Re: (...)
I grew up with this salad being on our table for every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Served on my Mom's white, silver-rimmed salad plate, dolloped on a leaf of iceberg lettuce, with a spoonful of mayo on top (not on mine, though).

I made this for our first Thanksgiving, 25 years ago, when we were married and I invited my in-laws over since we couldn't make it to be with my family (I worked in retail then). My SIL poked a little fun at the "jello salad" but she soon regretted her words.

This salad is full of surprises. Bound together by just a little gelatin, there is the tang of cranberry, crunch of celery, crisp of apple, juiciness of orange pieces, crunch of nuts-- all rolled into one bite! I could eat a whole bowlful by myself.

And I decided to share it with you guys, I don't even think that I've posted it on my blog before.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Gram's Holiday Salad

Recipe By: Myrtle Zimmerman
Servings: 10

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups water
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 cups fresh cranberries
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin(envelope)
1 cup cold water
1 cup chopped nuts -- pecans, walnuts, or mix
1 cup chopped celery
2 medium Granny Smith apples -- chopped
2 medium oranges -- peeled, sectioned, and chopped

Boil 2 cups water and sugar for 5 minutes.

Add cranberries and boil for an additional 5 minutes

Mix gelatin and 1 cup cold water in a small bowl. Add to cranberry mixture and stir until completely dissolved.

Chill until soft (will take about 1-1/2 to 2 hours), then fold in remaining ingredients. Transfer to a serving bowl, if desired.

Cover tightly and chill overnight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 264 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (26% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 47g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 18mg Sodium

This will be my fourth Thanksgiving without my Gram. She loved to cook for her family, loved the holidays when we could get together, and even if I couldn't be with her on Thanksgiving every year, I would still call her and we would talk about our dinner. Gram gave me my first cookbook when I was, I think, 6 years old!

She's making some wonderful turkey dinners for Grandpa in heaven, now. And I had her for over 47 years, so even though I miss her terribly, I am still very grateful.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: My Gram's Holiday Salad by foodfiend (I grew up with this ...)
Vicci, this sounds wonderful! It's similar to one that my mom made and the recipe disappeared. Thank you for sharing this with us!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: My Gram's Holiday Salad by Mare749 (Vicci, this sounds w...)
Vicci this is a beautiful story. This recipe looks really good also. I like the tart of the cranberries, the acid from the orange, and the sweet crunch of the apples. LOL! I almost said it seemed to cry out for nuts, then looked back and realized they were in there also! I may just have to give this a try. OIY! My list of dishes to prepare is growing...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My Gram's Holiday Salad by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci this is a beau...)
This does sound so tasty.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Gram's Holiday Salad by cjs (This does sound so t...)
Gelatin things are not one of our favorite things but this sure does sound great----any Gram recipe is one that is in my repetoire----THANKS for that....now to find gelatine that will work in this recipe---- BUT I WILL!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy