Cranberry Sauce
  Re: (...)
Ok. I am looking for new and exciting cranberry sauce recipes - Your favorites. I am making two batches this year. One, the plain old original. Can't mess it up, need to have it. But the other batch I am looking for something a little zippier. Anyone have a good one?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Cranberry Sauce by esgunn (Ok. I am looking f...)
I don't have a recipe...I'm lucky if I remember the canned stuff...LOL! I did make a "salsa" a couple years ago that I thought was very good, but I wound up freezing the majority and finally throwing it out in the end. It's just not a necessary at my table. But I'll be interested in what you find.

I have one suggestion...why not post YOUR recipe first. That way, others will be able to tell if they are offering something different.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cranberry Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (I don't have a recip...)
Here's one that's a little zippier. It was just in the recent Epicurious email newsletter, so I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds wonderful.

Chipotle Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 dried chipotle chiles
  • 1 12-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 small garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cumin
Instructions:
  1. Place chiles in medium saucepan filled with water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chiles are tender, adding more water if needed to keep chiles submerged, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on dryness of chiles. Drain.
  2. Combine softened chipotles, cranberries, sugar, and lemon juice in heavy medium saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking until cranberries begin to pop, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cinnamon, and cumin. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly and flavors meld, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Cool.
  3. Remove chipotles. Stem and seed. Mince chiles and return to cranberry sauce; stir to distribute. Cover and chill. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.
If you can only get the canned chipotles in adobo, instead of the dried, a couple of reviewers said it worked well when they seeded and rinsed the canned chipotles then skipped step #1.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Cranberry Sauce by labradors (Here's one that's a ...)

Here's my new recipe - my sister sent this to me and we have loved it and

everyone else loves it too.

Cranberry Sauce with Apricot Brandy

1 bag fresh cranberries

1 cup sugar (granulated or brown)

1 cup apriot Brandy

Little bit of lemon juice (optional)

1. Wash the cranberries and pick out the bad ones (there will be a few)

2. In an oven proof pan (9X13 is a good size.) I try to use glass) mix all the ingredients.

3. Cook for two hours at 350 (pre-heat Oven) I stir them 2-3 times tops during cooking.

4. Can be served warm, the recipe recommends that they are best when chilled. I love it both ways.

The alcohol cooks off for the most part - it ends up being more of a flavor enhancer ( in case you have guests, who don't imbibe)

Enjoy

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Cranberry Sauce by mjkcooking ( [br]Here's my new ...)
I'll bet you all thought I'd post a recipe that included rum!

Pear-Cranberry Sauce

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: about 1/3 cup)
Ingredients
• 1/3 cup fresh cranberries
• 3 tablespoons water
• 2 Bartlett pears, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon grated orange rind

Preparation:

Combine first 3 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 25 minutes or until cranberries pop, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat; stir in sugar and rind. Cool to room temperature.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 118 (5% from fat)
Fat: 0.6g (sat 0.1g,mono 0.1g,poly 0.2g)
Protein: 0.5g
Carbohydrate: 30.4g
Fiber: 2.9g
Cholesterol: 0.0mg
Iron: 0.3mg
Sodium: 0.0mg
Calcium: 13mg

Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2002

I've made this probably since it was published and really like it. The pear makes this sauce a little different, but it's still basically a traditional cranberry sauce.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Cranberry Sauce by foodfiend (I'll bet you all tho...)
Erin, there is a recipe in the new cookbook I got that uses Earl Grey tea, cardamom pods, star anise, cinnamon sticks and cranberries if you're interested in looking at it.(starts page 62 and finishes 65 with a pic on 63) But IMHO, there is a pie that I'm thinking of turning into a relish that calls for brandy, currants, sugar, flour, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and Granny Smith apples. There's 1 1/4 cups of sugar, so I'm thinking of cutting that back and using it for relish. If you're interested in the recipe...NO WAIT...didn't you say you picked this up today? LOL! Check it out! It's on page 92 with a pic on the opposite page.

I forgot to mention this when I remembered you had the book. The whole reason I even posted was to say that Marye's recipe with the cup of brandy is sounding mighty good. I may have to try two...what the heck! That way I can see if they like one enough to make it a table favorite NEXT year...LOL! Heck, they won't miss the canned stuff. It usually just sits there like part of the decorations, anyway.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cranberry Sauce by labradors (Here's one that's a ...)
Quote:

Here's one that's a little zippier. It was just in the recent Epicurious email newsletter, so I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds wonderful.

Chipotle Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 dried chipotle chiles
  • 1 12-ounce package fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 small garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon (generous) ground cumin
Instructions:
  1. Place chiles in medium saucepan filled with water; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until chiles are tender, adding more water if needed to keep chiles submerged, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on dryness of chiles. Drain.
  2. Combine softened chipotles, cranberries, sugar, and lemon juice in heavy medium saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking until cranberries begin to pop, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cinnamon, and cumin. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly and flavors meld, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Cool.
  3. Remove chipotles. Stem and seed. Mince chiles and return to cranberry sauce; stir to distribute. Cover and chill. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.
If you can only get the canned chipotles in adobo, instead of the dried, a couple of reviewers said it worked well when they seeded and rinsed the canned chipotles then skipped step #1.

This was also in the Nov. BA--we have already done the dried chipotle and are making the sauce tomorrow--give you a report.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cranberry Sauce by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Open pantry
Remove Can
Take can opener and place on top of can
Open can
Shake vigorously to remove contents
Be dazzled at the can shape it holds

**kidding I do make homemade but sorry I don't have a recipe. I just start with cranberries, water and sugar. Then orange zest, some brandy, cinnamon sticks and maybe cardamom.**
  Re: Re: Cranberry Sauce by DFen911 (Open pantry[br]Remov...)
Gotta do the canned thing here----NO FRESH cranberries because it is not a popular product. The biggie here is chutneys---all kinds of chutneys except cranberry.

I do have some frozen berries ----just thought of that.....will wait to see other suggestions. ALL sound great.

Labs---would another pepper work in your recipe? I do have some canned chipotles but I'm wondering about a fresh pepper?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Cranberry Sauce by Roxanne 21 (Gotta do the canned ...)
Quote:

Labs---would another pepper work in your recipe? I do have some canned chipotles but I'm wondering about a fresh pepper?

Roxanne,

This recipe sounds like one where that kind of substitution would not be anywhere even close to the originally intended flavour since chipotles have such a distinct taste. You could probably try another dried chile, such as ancho, but it just wouldn't be the same (although, of all the alternatives, ancho would probably be pretty good - just different). Likewise, fresh chiles would be missing that element of the flavour entirely.

Since some of the reviewers did say that the canned chipotles worked well for them, that's what I would suggest. If your are just hesitant to open your canned chipotles because you wouldn't be using all of them, remember that canned chipotles freeze very well. I like to put them into ice-cube trays by pairs, then transfer them to a Ziploc bag once frozen.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?