Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet
  Re: (...)
Hi All, Hoping someone can help out there. We had a recipe for chicken and stuffing in a skillet where the chicken was split and then baked. My DH has misplaced the recipe. I believe it was in an issue nearly 1 to 2 years ago. Does anyone have this recipe they could post or privately let me know. Thanks so much for any assistance. Dixi
  Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by dixichiq (Hi All, Hoping someo...)
Welcome Dixi! Is it this one?

Cajun turkey roulade with shrimp and cornbread stuffing

Cuisine at home No. 62 (April 2007), pages 18-19

Shrimp, ham, and cornbread are a Southern flavor trifecta! Roll all of them in turkey breast, and it's hard to go wrong.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome Dixi! Is it...)
Daphne for the WIN!
  Re: Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome Dixi! Is it...)
Nope, not the one. It only has the chicken and you split it in half and bake over the stuffing in an iron skillet.
  Re: Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by dixichiq (Nope, not the one. ...)
By stuffing to you mean a filling or actual cubed bread stuffing?

I remember a cast iron skillet recipe that you cut the chicken in half and cook each half in a cast iron skillet and serve it in the skillet. I know there was stuff in the skillet, but I think it was potatoes and onions.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by iCook (By stuffing to you m...)
I bet this one is it. Sliced bread in the bottom of the iron skillet, onions and celery on top and then a butterflied chicken.

Ari Weinzweig, Zingerman's: Sunday Dinner Roast Chicken
Cuisine at home No. 47 (October 2004), pages 12-15

With a roast chicken built on a base of sliced bread, Ari has created the perfect Sunday dinner. But why wait until the end of the week?

Do you have this issue still? I can't type it up today, if nobody else can get to it I can do it late tonight.

Let us know if you need it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by dixichiq (Hi All, Hoping someo...)
I found it! The post was titled October 2004 issue, I believe. It looks like Dixiechiq was here a few years ago for the same recipe. I will have to try it. It sounds really good. I will just copy and paste it to this post for her:

Here you are:

Lex’s Roast Chicken

Makes One Chicken + Stuffing
Total Time: 2 hours

Sauté in 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil:
3 large onions (about 2 lbs), halved, sliced into half-moons
2 cups celery, sliced

Add and Sauté: Stir in;
2 t. lemon zest, minced
1 3/4 t. coarse sea or kosher salt
1 t garlic, minced
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
1/2 t. dried thyme
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped

Rub with 2 T. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil; Season:
1 chicken (3-4 lb) butterflied
1 t freshly ground pepper
1/2 t coarse sea or kosher salt

Layer in skillet:

1/2 loaf crusty French bread, sliced 3/4" thick
Onion Mixture
Prepared Chicken

Pour over:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Sauté onions and celery in 1/4 cup oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Add zest, salt, garlic, pepper, thyme, and red pepper; continue to sauté until onions and celery are soft and translucent, about 5 more minutes; remove from hear. Stir in parsley and set aside.

Rub chicken on both sides with oil; season with pepper and salt.

Layer bread, onion mixture, then chicken in a lightly oiled pan.

Pour lemon juice over chicken and roast, uncovered for 1 1/2 hours, or until golden brown and at least 160-165 degrees. Check for doneness the last 15 minutes.

Remove from oven; let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into quarters. To serve, spoon some bread and vegetables onto each plate and top with chicken.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by iCook (I found it! The pos...)
My that sounds good. Might have to try that soon.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by iCook (I found it! The pos...)
OK Karen, I'm blushing... You are so right about my trying to find previously! LOL Did I mention DH lost the recipe... So, I'm putting it into Living Cookbook and barring any crashes, should have for years to come.

Gals and guys, this recipes rocks! Impresses all we have served! You must try! We're going to do this and also have another side meat with pork tenderloin and the same stuffing/seasoning this weekend for guests... I'm sure it'll please.

Thanks everyone!
  Re: Re: Lost Recipe..Split Chicken and Stuffing in Skillet by dixichiq (OK Karen, I'm blushi...)
hmmmm, that does sound good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com