OT- help with digital video camers specs
  Re: (...)
I bought my first digital video camera (heck, my first video camera!) today. I had been considering an inexpensive one, mainly to record our silly friends at parties or my little nieces cheering at their brother's football games, nothing needing a high-quality, professional camera.

So I found this today and, with a manufacturer's rebate, discounts, and super-discounts, it will cost me around $30 once I get the rebate back.

http://www.dxgusa.com/products/standard-...563vs.html

I am such a dolt with any type of technology (I still turn on the tv with the little button on the television instead of using the remote). Does it say anywhere in these specs how long of a period of time this will record a video?

And is there any thing else which strikes you-who-know-this-stuff as being a disadvantage?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: OT- help with digital video camers specs by foodfiend (I bought my first di...)
The digital cameras use memory instead of film or tapes, and the recording capacity (unless it has a limit for each video, though probably not) depends upon the amount of memory you have in the camera. The specs at the link you posted say that the internal memory is only 16MB, which is hardly anything when it comes to video. It does say, however, that it will accept add-on memory cards (not very expensive, nowadays) up to 4GB (which equals 409MB), and you can get quite a bit into 4GB, depending upon which camera settings you use. With a 4GB memory card, you may be able to get five hours or more. Again, that depends upon the settings, such as whether you choose 640 x 480 or 320 x 240.

Have fun!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT- help with digital video camers specs by labradors (The digital cameras ...)
Thanks Labs! I really didn't feel like digging into this tonight, and if it wasn't what I wanted I would have wanted to return it tomorrow. DH has a 4GB memory card (extra) that he bought with his digital SLR last year, and we can use it.

I really appreciate your (incredibly quick) help with this!

Soooooo, would you keep it, if you wanted it for just casual, infrequent use and it was so inexpensive??? Just wondering, since you know so much about this sort of thing...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: OT- help with digital video camers specs by foodfiend (Thanks Labs! I real...)
For casual use, I'd keep it, but it may help to try it a bit now to see what you think, so you can still return it tomorrow if you decide you don't like it for some reason. It may not be an HD camera, but it may be a DTJ (does-the-job) one.
  Re: Re: OT- help with digital video camers specs by foodfiend (Thanks Labs! I real...)
Vicci, the big problem I see is the AAA batteries. I'd invest a little more into rechargeable batteries and a charger, unless you've already got one for something else...these things EAT batteries pretty quick.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT- help with digital video camers specs by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, the big probl...)
Very good point, Daphne. Rechargeables help, or the newer lithium batteries also last a lot longer. Not sure if they have those in AAA, but do know they have AA.
  Re: Re: OT- help with digital video camers specs by labradors (Very good point, Dap...)
Great idea! I saw a 4-pack of rechargable AAA's for $5 and a recharging unit for $8. My digital camera uses rechargable AA's though (and this new digital video camera just couldn't possibly use the size of batteries that I already have, could it?!?!)

Okay, I've decided to keep it. Don't go looking for Vicci Videos on YouTube, though-- we still suffer through a dial-up internet connection!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: OT- help with digital video camers specs by foodfiend (Great idea! I saw a ...)
Makes you nuts, doesn't it Vicci? I have all these wonderful pics of our trip (and the food!!) that I would love to upload so that all of you could come along (like Daphne does when she does her wonderful slide shows!), but cripes, it took my computer 20 hours to download the McAfee updates, I'd never get any pics uploaded!
  Re: Re: OT- help with digital video camers specs by iBcookin (Makes you nuts, does...)
Quote:

Makes you nuts, doesn't it Vicci? I have all these wonderful pics of our trip (and the food!!) that I would love to upload so that all of you could come along (like Daphne does when she does her wonderful slide shows!), but cripes, it took my computer 20 hours to download the McAfee updates, I'd never get any pics uploaded!

Good heavens, and I thought that we were the only ones with dial-up service!!! I went to a friend's house (who has high-speed) and downloaded my AVG undates onto a disc so I wouldn't tie up our phone line for hours and hours...

Yes, it is maddening and someday we may upgrade, but figuring it out takes too much time for now.
Vicci

my cooking adventures