Vanilla Beans!
  Re: (...)
My dear sister gave me a "test tube" of 5 gorgeously plump vanilla beans that she brought with her from Scotland. I can smell the vanilla at the lid even though it's still sealed. I'm going to make my own extract with 3 of them. I'll have to go pick up some premium vodka.

What else have you all done with vanilla beans?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Vanilla Beans! by BarbaraS (My dear sister gave ...)
Barb,

When I lived in Pottstown, one of our computer clients was a vanilla-bean distributor in Blue Bell. Just imagine how wonderful that place smelled!

Back then, I had never used whole vanilla beans in anything, but had seen them mentioned in recipes. One day, while visiting that company to work on their computer, I was talking with the girl who usually used the computer, so I asked her where the whole beans would usually be found for individuals to by. She said, "Oh, some grocery store have them, but usually you have to go to a specialty store. They're about $3-$4 per bean." Then, without any hesitation, she reached into a nearby box, took out a neatly wrapped bundle of vanilla beans, handed them to me and said, "But here, take these."

I thanked her very much, without making any additional fuss (plus, I was still working on the computer), but when I got home, I opened the bundle and counted. There were 110 beans in that bundle! She had just handed me about $400 of vanilla without so much as batting an eyelash!

Since that was a HUGE number for a single person like me to use, I froze them, and they kept very well, so I had whole vanilla beans easily at hand for YEARS after that!

The things for which I used them the most were fresh vanilla ice cream and in the custard for the White Chocolate Banana Cream Pies.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Vanilla Beans! by labradors (Barb,[br][br]When I ...)
Kahlua and Creme Brulee are my two favorite things to make with the beans. Also, add to vanilla ice cream mix - wonderful.

Bread puddinngs, custards, oh so many goodies.

and we had this at Sharon and Bob's - her book might not be unpacked yet - this is wonderful.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate & Port Wine Sorbet

2 cups water
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 vanilla bean halved lengthwise
1/2 c. port wine
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
coarsely chopped

In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla bean, and wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and add the chocolate stirring just until combined. Remove from the heat and strain. Place the bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice. Stir every 10 minutes until cool. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

Description:
"From: Morgan Freeman & Friends - Carribean Cooking for a Cause - Sharon made this for us."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vanilla Beans! by cjs (Kahlua and Creme Bru...)
I'm curious...for flavoring the vodka, do you use the whole vanilla bean or the "hull" after the vanilla has been extracted? Also, I think I've heard a lot of you good folks talking about throwing the empty "hull" into sugar to get the most out of the product.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Vanilla Beans! by Gourmet_Mom (I'm curious...for fl...)
Vodka IS for making vanilla extract - not to be flavoured after extracting. You just put the whole beans right into the bottle.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Vanilla Beans! by labradors (Vodka IS for making ...)
Wow, I never knew that. I knew there was a certain amount of alcohol in vanilla extract, but not that vodka was the base. Cool!

Okay, I just had to look this up. It didn't seem very economical to me...premium vodka, vanilla beans? Then I read that you just keep topping it off with more vodka as you use it....an endless supply! I gotta try this! I'm assuming this extract is FAR superior to anything I could buy around here.
  Re: Re: Vanilla Beans! by Gourmet_Mom (Wow, I never knew th...)
Vanilla Extract must contain at least 35% alcohol to be genuine. I Googled "Making vanilla extract" and found a recipe that says start off with 3 beans, split them open with 1" left closed at the ends and soak in a tight fitting jar in 1 cup of vodka out of the sun for at least a few months. Then you can "add" what you subtract by replacing the used portion with vodka.

Woohoo!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Vanilla Beans! by BarbaraS (Vanilla Extract must...)
I love vanilla! I usually make my extract with rum, though.

Speaking of which, I like vanilla-flavored rum and it is hard to find so I am looking for a recipe to make my own. Anyone out there ever do this?

Also, I've made vanilla sugar before and I really should do it again...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Vanilla Beans! by foodfiend (I love vanilla! I u...)
That sorbet was so good! I have vanilla beans soaking in brandy, I have dried used vanilla beans in sugar, and then there is the vanilla salt - I'll have to find that recipe, heavens that is good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Vanilla Beans! by Harborwitch (That sorbet was so g...)
And here in Maui, I just bought two pkgs. of 6 each gorgeous vanilla beans for $12. per pkg. Wow, was I excited.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com