Mushrooms
  Re: (...)
Pioneer Woman posted a recipe today I wanted to share...the idea anyway. If you're interested, you can check it out. I'm not sure if I can post it here, so if you want me to, let me know if it's okay. ANYWAY, here's the jist of it: saute 'shrooms in butter briefly, crowd in a baking dish, saute: parsley, green onions, and garlic. Stuff mushrooms with Brie and top with the onion mixture. Bake. This just sounds wonderful! I think I'll HAVE to give this a trial run before the holidays to see if they're holiday worthy.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Mushrooms by Gourmet_Mom (Pioneer Woman posted...)
How can they NOT be holiday worthy?? Mushrooms and brie, of course its going to be great! On the other hand, send some to me just to be sure, you will want that second opinion....teehee
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Mushrooms by chef_Tab (How can they NOT be ...)
Sounds good, Daphne. Would be interesting to compare and contrast it with the Julia Child recipe. Having tried a LOT of stuffed mushrooms over the years (decades), I have been underwhelmed, consistently, when people stuff the mushrooms with crab, sausage, and the like. It's not that they aren't good - just that the mushroom flavour seems to get lost, and the shrooms, themselves, become little more that convenient, bite-sized holders for the stuffing.

The Julia Child recipe, on the other hand, is much more minimal (despite the steps involved), and actually highlights the mushrooms, rather than relegating them to being mere carry-alls.

What you described sounds as though it would go better with the mushrooms than sausage or crab stuffing mixtures, so please do post it. As an affirmed shroomaholic, I am eager to try it, and I offer, in exchange, the Julia Child recipe:

Julia Child's Stuffed Mushrooms (Champignons Farci)
Serves 6

Ingredients
  • 12 large mushrooms
  • 2 to 3 Tb melted butter
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 Tb minced shallots or scallions (My mom always used shallots. Down here, since we don't have shallots and I don't feel like using scallions for this, I use a small, purple onion that is available here.)
  • 2 Tb butter
  • 1/2 Tb flour
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 3 Tb fresh minced parsley
  • Additional salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
  • 1 to 2 Tb melted butter
Instructions:
  1. Remove mushroom stems and reserve.
  2. Wash and dry the caps, brush with melted butter, and arrange, hollow-side up, in the baking dish.
  3. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
  4. Wash and dry the stems and mince.
  5. By handfuls twist in the corner of a towel to extract as much juice as possible.
  6. Sauté with the shallots or scallions in butter for 4 or 5 minutes until the pieces begin to separate.
  7. Lower heat, add the flour and stir for 1 minute.
  8. Stir in the cream and simmer for a minute or two, until thickened.
  9. Stir in the parsley and seasonings.
  10. Fill the mushroom caps with this mixture; top each with 1 teaspoon of cheese and dribble on droplets of melted butter.
  11. Set aside until ready to finish the cooking.
  12. Fifteen minutes or so before serving, bake in upper third of a preheated 375-degree oven until caps are tender and stuffing has browned lightly on top.

P.S.: If you do the math, you'll see that it's supposed to be two shrooms per person. Balderdash! I can't remember when we did NOT double the recipe, and there were only three of us!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Mushrooms by Gourmet_Mom (Pioneer Woman posted...)
Absolutely!!! Tell a little tale about the Indians, hunter-gatherers--people love stories--I would fix that in a minute. BS it up--the dish will be even better.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Mushrooms by Old Bay (Absolutely!!! Tell a...)
Just realised that "Pioneer Woman" is one of those blogs that everyone but me reads, so I searched for and found it.

So you don't have to worry about whether she thinks it's okay for you to post the recipe here, I'll just post the permalink HERE for anyone who wants to check it out.

Of course, remember: if you love mushrooms as much as I, remember to check out my favourite mushroom-recipe site. I've already made 13 recipes from that site (and posted almost all of them here)!
  Re: Re: Mushrooms by Old Bay (Absolutely!!! Tell a...)
The biggest difference is that you put a CUBE of the cheese (cut to fit) in the cap and top with the onion mixture...no cream. The CUBE of cheese is what got me!

Bill, I'm wondering how this would be with a cube of Gruyere...They cook for 15 minutes at 350. Here's a picture:

[Image: 4048701100_c2c88cef86.jpg]
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mushrooms by Gourmet_Mom (The biggest differen...)
One of the things I like about the Julia Child recipe is that the grated Swiss makes a delicate coating on top of the shrooms, but these cubes (or "pillows," if you will) of Brie do sound interesting. I'm sure Gruyère, Jarlsberg or Emmentaler (or any other GOOD Swiss - not American Swiss) would work well, as would Camembert (which is usually my preference over Brie). Another thought that comes to me right away is to use Manchego, but I'll need to taste the original recipe, with its intended ingredients, first, before deciding upon that one.
  Re: Re: Mushrooms by labradors (One of the things I ...)
I know what you mean about a delicate topping of cheese, but like you said, the "pillows" of cheese just "spoke to me". Like you, I will definitely make them as written the first time, but I think other cheese would be nice. I haven't tried smoked cheese...wonder if that would work with the 'shrooms? I hadn't thought about Swiss...that's William's favorite.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Mushrooms by Gourmet_Mom (I know what you mean...)
Don't forget: Gruyère, Jarlsberg and Emmentaler ARE varieties of Swiss, each with its own flavour nuances, and the "Swiss" cheese made in America (although SOME of it isn't too bad) is NOTHING like those others.

Shall be checking the supermarket for fresh mushrooms tomorrow. If they don't have any (it's NOT an everyday item around here), I shall send an email to the friend who orders them (directly - not through the supermarket), and order some. He orders every two weeks, but I'm not sure if this is an on or off week.

Unless the supermarket happens to have fresh mushrooms from their suppliers, the mushrooms I get are grown in the town of Zamorano, which is known (at least here, anyway) for its produce. Mushrooms are not that commonly used here (mostly by us Gringos), so ordering them from Zamorano is roughly the equivalent of saying that I'm in Orlando and need to order them from Miami; or in Philly, and need to order them from Pittsburgh). That's why I'll go through periodic spates of recipes for mushroom this, mushroom that, and mushroom the other. As long as I'm getting them, anyway, I'll order three or four pounds of them and just shroom out for a while. They're not cheap, though (about $4.75/lb), so it's not something I can do as often as I would like.

If I do wind up having to order them, you can expect to see me posting another bunch of mushroom recipes around the same time.
  Re: Re: Mushrooms by Gourmet_Mom (The biggest differen...)
Quote:

The biggest difference is that you put a CUBE of the cheese (cut to fit) in the cap and top with the onion mixture...no cream. The CUBE of cheese is what got me!

Bill, I'm wondering how this would be with a cube of Gruyere...They cook for 15 minutes at 350. Here's a picture:

[Image: 4048701100_c2c88cef86.jpg]

Gruyere is the best Swiss--I love it!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".